PDA

View Full Version : Horrendous Case of Flystrike :-( U/D Wed 8th July

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
..........down at Christabels :cry:
The poor Bunny had loads of maggots that have eaten alot of his bum away :cry:
He has also lost a third of his body weight due to Dental problems :cry:

I so hope the little chap makes it, he is really friendly and just lay on his side whilst the maggots were being picked out.
I hand fed him tiny bits of finely gratted Veg as he'd not eaten for 3 days :cry:

Any spare vibes would be really welcome here in Twickenham

xx

CottonMather
04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
oh bless him :cry::cry::cry: really hope the poor boy makes it - sending vibes...

lisa82
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
How awful, poor bunny I hope he'll be ok :( I am so paranoid with bum checks in this whether. Sending him vibes xx

donnamt
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
sending loads of vibes for the poor little man xxxxxxx

kerry-123
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
The poor wee thing!! Sending lots of vibes

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you, you'd all love him if you met him :love:

Tinsel
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
sending loads of vibes...how did he come to be in that state? Is his owner taking him back if he makes it? :evil:

minirex
04-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Sending huge get well soon vibes for bunny xx

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
sending loads of vibes...how did he come to be in that state? Is his owner taking him back if he makes it? :evil:

I guess they just did not realise that a Bun with no front teeth can have problems cleaning. They also did not understand that just because the front teeth are not there it does not mean that the back teeth will be OK.
Ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty maybe :?

:cry:

CottonMather
04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I guess they just did not realise that a Bun with no front teeth can have problems cleaning. They also did not understand that just because the front teeth are not there it does not mean that the back teeth will be OK.
Ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty maybe :?

:cry:

if he makes it, would he have to go back to them? :?

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
if he makes it, would he have to go back to them? :?

I assume so.

CottonMather
04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I assume so.

let's just hope they learn from thier mistakes :(

bunny babe
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Sending lots of healing vibes to this bunny.

Having had a minor scare with Homey last Friday (and I make sure they are clean too) I know how quick it can happen and I check bums at least 3 times a day.

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Sending lots of healing vibes to this bunny.

Having had a minor scare with Homey last Friday (and I make sure they are clean too) I know how quick it can happen and I check bums at least 3 times a day.

I know. I went off on one when I saw the state of this poor Bunny, all the skin around his bum has been eaten :cry: But Christabel said that amount of damage can happen in 2-3 hours :shock: :cry:

There was a kidney dish full of maggots that had been picked off.

Dustyrabbit
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Sending vibes for this poorly bun, it must be very sore.

I have had a bun with flystrike, it really does happen very quickly:(

angeleyes
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
OMG thats awful :cry: what colour was the little fella Jane? I am now getting paranoid that it might be the lovely Harvey i rehomed about 2 months ago as he had no front teeth :cry:

Bunnyaddict
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Poor wee mite :cry: That is absolutely horrendous :cry:

Lots & lots of vibes from me & all our bunsters for this wee fella - I so hope he makes it xxx

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
OMG thats awful :cry: what colour was the little fella Jane? I am now getting paranoid that it might be the lovely Harvey i rehomed about 2 months ago as he had no front teeth :cry:

No, he definately wasn't Harvey :)

antigone
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Sending loads of vibes for the little bunster xxxxxxxxxx

bunnymadhouse
04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
poor bunny :(

UsagiYojimbo
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I have never seen maggots or flystrike? It sounds really really serious! Poor bunny!! If it can happen in a matter of hours thats really scary :shock:

Do you know whether he will recover??? *vibes* I hope he makes it

Can indoor bunnies get this?

angeleyes
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
No, he definately wasn't Harvey :)

Thank goodness, sending loads of vibes for the little one xxx

bunny babe
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes indoor bunnies can get this - anywhere flies can get.

If you have not been aware of it the main precautions are to ensure that your bunny is clean, do bum checks at least twice a day. There are some things on the market e.g. rearguard that can help stop maggots developing if a fly lays eggs on your bunny.

UsagiYojimbo
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes indoor bunnies can get this - anywhere flies can get.

If you have not been aware of it the main precautions are to ensure that your bunny is clean, do bum checks at least twice a day. There are some things on the market e.g. rearguard that can help stop maggots developing if a fly lays eggs on your bunny.

I haven't yet got my bun yet so am still learning! Will the bunny be going back to his owner or be rehomed? xxx

bunny babe
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I know. I went off on one when I saw the state of this poor Bunny, all the skin around his bum has been eaten :cry: But Christabel said that amount of damage can happen in 2-3 hours :shock: :cry:

There was a kidney dish full of maggots that had been picked off.

It is so scary what damage they can cause in such a short time, I hate flies.

Luckily I only found one tiny maggot on homer's tail and one egg (he had been rearguarded the week before) and no more. We think he may have picked them up off the grass as they appeared to be "one offs".

hurricanhoney
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Sending loads of vibes for the poor bun.

bunny babe
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I haven't yet got my bun yet so am still learning! Will the bunny be going back to his owner or be rehomed? xxx

You have come to the right place to learn, and there is a lot to learn.

From what is says in previous threads, it looks like it will go back to the owners who sound like they may have been naive and not been aware of some of the problems of a bunny with no teeth etc.

As Jane said, this can also happen in a matter of a couple of hours so the owners could have reacted quite quickly.

UsagiYojimbo
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
As Jane said, this can also happen in a matter of a couple of hours so the owners could have reacted quite quickly.

That is a very scary fact:shock:

Jack's-Jane
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I think its important to emphasise that anyBun, no matter how well cared for, can fall victim to Flystrike. Whilst some cases are due to neglect or poor husbandary, some cases happen to Buns belonging to very caring owners.

Bluesmum
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Hope he pulls through. Poor mite, he must be in so much pain :cry:
*vibes*

Fairy13
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Poor bunny, sending tons of vibes for him xxx

Amsy1991
04-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Poor boy, he sounds lovely.
Sending lots of vibes his way, pull through little one x

foofoo
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Sending lots of vibes for the poor wee bunny :cry:

Sugarbunny
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Sending vibes for poor bunny...

Buuny_Friend
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
We had a guinea pig with flystrike in last friday.

The poor thing had maggots lined up like bullets in his anus. He was so far gone that he had to be PTS :(

Mega vibes for this bunny...he is in the best place with Christabel. xxx

yvette
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh heavens.Poor little man.Sending vibes.Do keep us in the loop.
Rotten flipping flies.Why do they exist???? grrrrrrrrrrr....

HoppingBinky
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Sending huge healing vibes for the little mite. I do hope he makes it through.
I hate the little flying pests.:evil:

bridget
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
We had a guinea pig with flystrike in last friday.

The poor thing had maggots lined up like bullets in his anus. He was so far gone that he had to be PTS :(

Mega vibes for this bunny...he is in the best place with Christabel. xxx

Poor mite :(

Hope cute bunny pulls through - I am so worried about this now.

Deelove
05-07-2009, 12:03 AM
poor bun :(

Maizey
05-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Sending massive vibes for this little bunny

Inimical Me
05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Awww poor bunny :cry:. I hope he pulls through. I'm on constant fly alert. Luckily Fidget has never had any problems cleaning herself, but it is very worrying.

bunny babe
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Any news on how this bunny is doing? I hope he is OK.

Jack's-Jane
05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Any news on how this bunny is doing? I hope he is OK.

I wont be able to get an update til tomorrow

xx

Hugo's There
05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Poor Bunny I hope it will be OK :?:cry:

I have never had or seen a bunny with flystrike but one of my piggys once got it. It is the most awful thing I have ever seen even though I caught it early and the maggots were still tiny. Even so they have done an awful lot of damage :cry:

She had a tumour by her genitals so was unable to keep herself clean of urine. We made the difficult decision to pts :cry:

Rachie
05-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Poor wee mite :(

I hope he pulls through this okay, keep us updated!

Lots of vibes and thoughts x

bunlover
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I think its important to emphasise that anyBun, no matter how well cared for, can fall victim to Flystrike. Whilst some cases are due to neglect or poor husbandary, some cases happen to Buns belonging to very caring owners.

very fair point as anyone who knows me and has met my own bunnys knows i look after them brilliantly... however i have had a bun in the past who had flystrike (chelseas sister) we did her daily bum check(i hate to think if we had checked her later on that day) and she did have a bit of a sticky bum for no real reason that day(normally was clean) and yes she was a big bunny but stil lwithin a healthy wieght range... we picked off what we could and rushed her up to jason (glos best rabbit vet or we think so) and he took her into surgery immediatly fortunatly we had managed to catch it early and so they were mostly on the outside not so many inside and hadnt eaten too much of her bottem...they were litrally some of them hatching as we were checking her.... she obviously was sore and on pain relief after but made a full recovery i jut wanted to say it can happen to anybun no matter how kept.. and i always now use rear gaurd on my bunnys i refuse to use xenex due to the chemical burn it gave chelsea. however some people and vets deem it safe i wont risk it.

poor bunny in twickenham... i am sending all my vibes the owners must be distraught.... healing vibes x

huppie
06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Rotten flipping flies.Why do they exist???? grrrrrrrrrrr....

Because the world would be disgusting and full of poo and rotting animals without them. Gross they maybe and utterly terrifying (I spend my days in near-constant worry at the moment) but they have their purpose. Really doesn't make them any less scary for bunny owners though.

Sending vibes and best wishes

Emma

angeleyes
06-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Any news Jane? x

Jack's-Jane
06-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Any news Jane? x

I have just been to visit him and take him some more treats.
He is doing OK. He certainly smells better !!
He had an Oatmeal Bath yesterday and Christabel said he has been eating and pooing well. He is still very, very thin though :cry: He needs a Dental but Christabel wants to get him as strong as possible before attempting that. His molars are a complete mess and one of his peg teeth has regrown so it needs removing again.

He isnt out of the woods yet, but he's holding his own. He really is the sweetest little Bun :love:

angeleyes
06-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I have just been to visit him and take him some more treats.
He is doing OK. He certainly smells better !!
He had an Oatmeal Bath yesterday and Christabel said he has been eating and pooing well. He is still very, very thin though :cry: He needs a Dental but Christabel wants to get him as strong as possible before attempting that. His molars are a complete mess and one of his peg teeth has regrown so it needs removing again.

He isnt out of the woods yet, but he's holding his own. He really is the sweetest little Bun :love:

Awww great news, i am going later with Lionel so might ask if i can pop and give him a nose rub :love:

Kermit
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Thats good news that he is on the mend.....keep it up wee guy xx

*lily*
06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I look after Sooty very well carrying out checks on her daily.

Last week I was doing her botty check and found loads of fly eggs on her. I combed them all out with a nit comb, it took ages.

She had been treated with Beaphar and I'm assuming that this prevents the eggs hatching out?

Still was horrible to see though.

bunny babe
06-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Aw, glad he is still on the road to recovery. Sending this little guy some more healing vibes.

Jack's-Jane
08-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I visited Mr Bun today. He is doing reasonably well but he is still so very thin and he is also obviously still very sore from the flystrike.

I so hope he will pull through. He is a Bun who has really gotten to me :love:

Pringle
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Aww im so glad he is looking well. Poor wee bun :( will he be coming to live with you Jane :D xx

Jack's-Jane
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
( will he be coming to live with you Jane :D xx

No, he will be going home :)

Pringle
08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
No, he will be going home :)

oh :) ok :)

antigone
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm so glad the poor bunster is recovering. :D

bunny babe
08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Aww, sounds like Christobel has worked her majic on the little guy. He sounds lovely, I was wondering about him on during the day when I should have been working. Keep us updated Jane and give him a nose rub from me.