• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Cookie - Edit - Another question (Post 12)

Murphy30

Warren Scout
Please send any spare get well vibes for Cookie :cry:

I went out this afternoon to check them and she was huddled in the corner looking very sorry for herself. Didn't even struggle or try to run away when I picked her up, which is so unlike her as she hates being picked up :(

Just been to the vets who couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her - He checked her teeth and felt her tummy which he said felt fine, but he gave her two injections just in case to try and get her tummy moving again (Metoclopramide and Norocarp). I can't get her to eat anything (Not even carrots or dandelion which are her favourites), and I haven't seen her poo for a couple of hours. She scoffed all her breakfast at 8.30am this morning, so this has only come on since then.

The vet said if she hasn't poo'd or eaten her dinner tonight to ring him back and take her in again.

Any spare vibes would be much appreciated!

Thanks xx

Last edited:
Poor Cookie :cry:

Try to get her to take some water. If she ate this morning its important to keep all the ingested food well hydrated in her guts.

I hope she feels better soon

xx

I've not noticed her drinking, but I did buy some pineapple juice on the way home from the vets and was thinking of trying to syringe feed her some of that, which is what we did last time - Do you think this might help?

I've not noticed her drinking, but I did buy some pineapple juice on the way home from the vets and was thinking of trying to syringe feed her some of that, which is what we did last time - Do you think this might help?

Personally I am not keen on giving Pineapple Juice. The sugar in it puts Bun at a much greater risk of gut dysbiosis.
I give my poorly Rabbits Fennel and Nettle Tea or Camomile and Mint Tea.

:wave:Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on her and hope she picks up soon. I might see if I can get her to hop around the garden a bit, as I've heard that can help get things moving again?

hope she picks up soon, loads of vibes heading her way xxxx

i would say that if she isnt eating by tonight i would get her admitted to the vets to get her put on a drip, i 110% believe that is what saved Alvin's life when he got stasis with no obvious reasons.. really really scary

hope she picks up soon, loads of vibes heading her way xxxx

i would say that if she isnt eating by tonight i would get her admitted to the vets to get her put on a drip, i 110% believe that is what saved Alvin's life when he got stasis with no obvious reasons.. really really scary

Thanks for all the vibes guys - Am hoping she picks up and it won't come to that, and she picks up soon.

She just came out of the hutch into the garden, and has moved about a bit - Am hoping the injections have started kicking in. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for my baby girl :cry:

awww hun if shes moving about she must be feeling abit better...im sure these bunnies only fake it to get thier favourite foods :?

i have found that by annoying Alvin with a long strand of hay it annoys him so much he eats it to get me to go away and then he realises how hungry he is and nibbles some more, running him about the room also helps too i think.

i really hope you dont have to go back to the vets, i think its the biggest fear ive ever gone through was that one night of worry.

the vet i saw last time said dandelions leaves are really good for getting a bun to eat in stasis if you can find any :D

:wave: Thanks for all the vibes guys. Cookie is now stuffing her face as if nothing was ever the matter :roll::lol:

She was quite poorly through the night last night, but I spoke to the on call vet about 10pm last night and stayed up with her and syringed fluids to try and keep her hydrated, then took her back to the vets this morning (She had perked up a bit this morning, and poo'd but was still not eating at that stage). The vet gave her an injection of Metoclopramide, and gave us some Fiberplex and Science Recovery which we gave her today. She also gave me another injection of Metoclopramide to give her 12 hours later - So in about 20 minutes.

She seems absolutely fine now, has practically inhaled a bunch of dandilion leaves :roll::lol:, and has eaten her dinner and is currently eating hay.

Question though - As she seems so much better - Do I still give her the second injection? If she's better I don't know whether to give it to her or not - Any advice would be greatly appreciated :?

if shes better she dont need any further treatment :D

its quite shocking how fast they go from deaths door to perfect health again :shock:

i guess just keep your eye on her eating/pooping for a few days any further worries back to the vets :(

Alvin has months inbetween stasis episodes, seems just as i start to relax he goes on hunger strike :evil:

:wave: Thanks for all the vibes guys. Cookie is now stuffing her face as if nothing was ever the matter :roll::lol:

She was quite poorly through the night last night, but I spoke to the on call vet about 10pm last night and stayed up with her and syringed fluids to try and keep her hydrated, then took her back to the vets this morning (She had perked up a bit this morning, and poo'd but was still not eating at that stage). The vet gave her an injection of Metoclopramide, and gave us some Fiberplex and Science Recovery which we gave her today. She also gave me another injection of Metoclopramide to give her 12 hours later - So in about 20 minutes.

She seems absolutely fine now, has practically inhaled a bunch of dandilion leaves :roll::lol:, and has eaten her dinner and is currently eating hay.

Question though - As she seems so much better - Do I still give her the second injection? If she's better I don't know whether to give it to her or not - Any advice would be greatly appreciated :?

What have her poos been like?

If they are still rather small or less in number than normal I'd give her the Metoclop' as prescribed by your Vet. The fact that she's eating is great but you need her poos to be back to normal before she can be considered fully recovered.

What have her poos been like?

If they are still rather small or less in number than normal I'd give her the Metoclop' as prescribed by your Vet. The fact that she's eating is great but you need her poos to be back to normal before she can be considered fully recovered.

Her poos seem normal now, and I think there's pretty much the same amount as usual, although it's difficult to tell as there's two of them in the hutch....Ooh, am confused now, don't know what to do for the best! :?

It won't do her any harm to have the injection if she's better will it? The only thing I'm thinking is she hates being caught, so if she was better I thought it might be better not to stress her by catching her and giving her the injection...I will do though if it's best to, to be on the safe side?

PS - What is Metoclopramide? Is it a gut stimulant? (Sorry if I'm being thick! :oops:)

Her poos seem normal now, and I think there's pretty much the same amount as usual, although it's difficult to tell as there's two of them in the hutch....Ooh, am confused now, don't know what to do for the best! :?

It won't do her any harm to have the injection if she's better will it? The only thing I'm thinking is she hates being caught, so if she was better I thought it might be better not to stress her by catching her and giving her the injection...I will do though if it's best to, to be on the safe side?

PS - What is Metoclopramide? Is it a gut stimulant? (Sorry if I'm being thick! :oops:)

Yes, Metoclop is a GI motility stimulant.
If she is eating and pooing normally then the dose is probably not necessary

xx

you would know straight away if they are stasis poops... they are tiny and rock hard, like little black stones... i often to crush poops and if they arent rock hard even if small they are ok

i thought metoclop (sp) was a gut stimulant so is only given if a rabbit is not eating/pooping... i fail to see why you would have to give it to a rabbit who is then eating and pooping of its own accord :?

:wave: Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it :)

As she seems fine and is eating and pooing, I think I'll leave her tonight and not give her the injection. I'd rather not run the risk of stressing her out to give it to her if she doesn't really need it, and she definately seems 100% better now.

Unfortunately I have a feeling this might be a recurring theme with her, as it's the second time this year she's had it, although both times she's been better after 24-48 hours and we've managed to catch it early both times.

Will be keeping a very close eye on her over the next few days, as last time she perked up and was fine for 24 hours then went downhill again so had to see the vet again. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen this time and she's ok!

poor little girly :( its horrible isnt it

im sure shell be fine... till the next time... loads of complete recovery vibes heading her way xxxxx

Back