• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Bottle Covers ~ Do they really work? DOES IT WORK ?

samhor

Warren Scout
My rabbit bottle keeps going green from the sun being on it. I have looked on the internet and there is some online shops that sell bottle covers.

It basically says that it keeps water cool in the winter and stops the bottle going green and stop the bottle from freezing up in winter.

Does the cover really stop the water from going warm and turning the bottle green because of the sunlight. In the pics the plastic covers look really thin and that the sun could really get through.

Have you got one ? Does it work?

Yep, I've got one of the scratch n newton ones and they do work well. Most the bottle got was a bit icy which considering how cold it got this winter isn't bad. Usually it's ice free. I've had mine several years now.

It also stops them going green. The green is algae growing which requires sunlight so anything that blocks the sun will work you could just wrap it in tin foil :lol:

Other up side is the stretchy hook that comes with them is a lot easily than the hooks that come with water bottles to put on/off.

Downside is you can't see water level at a glance.

I got one of them the other day and they seem to be working well. Bunny drinks more in the day now.

Like Tamsin says the down side is you cant see the water level.

Being a "cheap" bunny mum I used bubble wrap and a sock in the winter to keep my waterbottles from freezing. I haven't had a summer problem, I provide regular fresh bowls of cool water too and find they don't drink much from the bottles then as they prefer the bowl, but if I did I would try the foil idea or a homemade corrugated cardboard "sleeve" as this is very insulative.

I use the Scratch and Newton ones. I never have a problem with green bottles and they help stop the water freezing in cold weather too. :)

i went to pets at home to try and get a bottle snug the other night and they were sold out! not got a algae problem with Ruby's bottle though at the moment i juts was thinking of keeping the water cool as it has been so hot. She throws bowls around so i didn't really consider a water bown as a good idea.

Back