• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on pregnant bun please

AbbyB

New Kit
hey everyone,
i think my little daisy is now pregnant by accident as we were sold two girls together that then ended up bein a girl and a boy and by then was too late!

i dont really know alot about what to do when expecting so thought this would be the best place to learn before the bundles of joy arrive! :)

any advice would be much appreciated as i want to do the best and be prepared for wen she gives birth

thanks, abby xx

How old is she? How long ago were they parted? :) Pregnancy is around 30 days i think.

xXx

they are about 20 weeks. i thought it was something lyk 30 days but its what to do once they are born which i realy need advice on!

xx

hi one of my bunnys has recently give birth!
the mother will cover the babies up with her fur in the nest and may be very protective of them however if you are wanting to check the babies try and get the mother out of the hutch/cage and do it while she is not looking as she could kill them! you will need to check that she is feeding the rabbits and normally she will do this in the night so the best way to tell is if the babies bellies are rounded! their nest should be taken away from them at around 21days and they should be walking around by then! you can sex the babbies at around 4-6weeks and seperate them from their mother! hope this helps you and good luck x

Once the babies are born, you will need to check the nest daily for 'dead' babies. Rub your hands in the mothers mess so you get her smell on your hands. If she smells your smell on the babies she will disown them. If there is any dead babies remove them immediately as they will send the other babies cold. When you peek in the nest, make sure the bunnies have full rounded tummies (this means mummy bunny is feeding them). Mummy bunny wont go near them often, dont think shes not looking after them, they do this in the wild so they dont bring attention to the nest of babies. She will feed them only once or twice daily.

Give her plenty of extra hay, she will use this to build the nest, she will abso use fur from her chest. If she doesnt have any hay you may end up with a bald bunny!! Make sure you give her plenty of food too, feeding the babies will be hard work for her, especially as such a young age herself. Dont attempt to clean her hutch once she has made the nest. You will need to leave it for a good 2 weeks until the babies start to leave the nest.

Theres a member on here who recently had 2 litters of kits, will try and find her screen name for you as her babies had problems with eyes not opening on time etc.

The vet will be able to sex the bunnies around 6 - 8 weeks. Bunnies should be with their mum until 8 weeks old!! Dont remove them from her until 8 weeks :?

Ive never had a pregnant bunny here, the above is all things ive read previously on this forum. Hope it helps a little.

I would also reccommend you get the little male bunny neutered if hes 20 weeks too. He will be old enough by now. By thetime your female bunny has had her litter and raised them, she will need neutering too. You will then be able to bond them back together.

xXx

hey everyone,
i think my little daisy is now pregnant by accident as we were sold two girls together that then ended up bein a girl and a boy and by then was too late!

i dont really know alot about what to do when expecting so thought this would be the best place to learn before the bundles of joy arrive! :)

any advice would be much appreciated as i want to do the best and be prepared for wen she gives birth

thanks, abby xx

Exactly the same thing happened to me. The babies are now nearly 3 weeks, there's 6 of them. No dead ones. She has been an excellent mother and apart from the odd check I left her to it. I didn't know she was pregnant until she had them. She built her nest very quickly then went in it and came out about 15 mins later. She then ignored them as if they werent there. Isn't nature wonderful. Good luck and try not to worry. My buck has been neutered now too with no probs.:D

Back