• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas on where I can get loads of free newspapers from?

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
We go through massess of newspapers every week having 22 buns. No matter how many my friends & family save me we never seem to have enough :roll:

Each bun, pair or group have several litter trays & plastic dog beds filled with hay which I use newspaper to line them with. Due to the number of times they are cleaned out, I'm forever scratting about for newspapers :?

Any ideas on how I might be able to get a good supply of newspapers or any alternative to what I could use instead?

What does everyone else do that's got loads of buns or runs a rescue do?

What do your local nesagents do with any unsold papers? Or ask your local paperboy what happens to the left over free papers maybe

I only have two and we're constantly running out! I can't imagine how short you must be with so many buns!! Shops always send them back for recycling back into new newspapers, but a friend of ours gets them for us from his Gym of all places - where they put them out free each day. I wonder if places like that or hotels etc where they provide papers would have a stash spare??

I've tried a few supermarkets & sadly they've told me they have to return any unsold ones to their distributor. Hubby's also asked at local shops & been told them same :(

Good idea about the freebies - if I'm next time one's delivered I'll try to catch him :)

Ask on your local Freecycle. There are loads of people on there willing to do you a good turn. You could offer some bunny poo for their garden/allotment in return :wave::D

I only have two and we're constantly running out! I can't imagine how short you must be with so many buns!! Shops always send them back for recycling back into new newspapers, but a friend of ours gets them for us from his Gym of all places - where they put them out free each day. I wonder if places like that or hotels etc where they provide papers would have a stash spare??

Thanks prettylupin - think this weekend I'll spend time ringing round places like the local gyms etc. I'm more than happy to regularly collect them - it's just a pain when we run out :roll:

Ask on your local Freecycle. There are loads of people on there willing to do you a good turn. You could offer some bunny poo for their garden/allotment in return :wave::D

Thanks Tamsin & Rhian33 - will join up now never thought about that :)

Mind you think I'd get shot for offering bunny poo as our neighbour has it all bless him to make rabbit poo tea for his veggies - which he donates quite a lot of in return to the buns for their hard work pooing lots for him :lol: Have to say his veg patch is fantastic & I like to think it's all down to our lot & their poo's! ;):lol:

He also gives us newspapers as well :)

We have similar problem and have had some success with freecycle. We have now found a new way to get lots of papers in one go but not sure if its legal :?

Btw, what do you actually use the newspapers for? This weather, mine just have a little hay on the floor then cat litter (recycled paper based) in their tray. With 22 buns, bales of megazorb is probably cheapest for litter tray.

Its better than that we literally bring back hundreds :)

Although we have a lovely paper boy, he always leaves us 2 papers, one for us and one for the bunnies :D

Have you tried the head office from where the local free paper is printed? I always have surplus papers from our local free paper :) I literally get half a boot full every week, im actually overrun with newspapers at the moment :oops: I have an 8x6 shed nearly full of them! :lol: :oops: Shame you wasnt closer hun :(

Its worth a try though :) xXx

Btw, what do you actually use the newspapers for? This weather, mine just have a little hay on the floor then cat litter (recycled paper based) in their tray. With 22 buns, bales of megazorb is probably cheapest for litter tray.

I line all their litter trays & plastic dog beds with them & then put a good layer of hay on top. All of the buns love to laze in bed, poo & munch hay at the same time :roll:

I used to get them off neighbours, friends and family.

I too got overrun at one point.

We have started using megazorb here :wave:

We have similar problem and have had some success with freecycle. We have now found a new way to get lots of papers in one go but not sure if its legal :?

Oooohhh I'm intrigued Liz :p

Have just joined freecycle so will hopefully get some response from that :)

Back