• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

life expectancy of a dwarf ?

georgina mcc

New Kit
hi , we have just got our 1st rabbit last week a female dwarf with white fur and a brown stripe down her back she is lovely she is 2 years old . as she is our 1st we need some tips and advice from dwarf owners on life expectancy food etc. she was living indoors for 2 years but as we havent much space we bought a 3ft hutch to put her in out doors, she seems to be happy eating our grass! all advice welcome thanks

It varies - some buns have lived up to 15 years, but as a lot of buns are the result of bad breeders or accidental litters - genetically they may have heart/teeth problems that will stop them living as long or healthly.

If your bun is spayed & vaccinated, wormed & regularly checked for all the hazards - flystrike/injury/abscesses, you will be giving her the best chance:D

3ft isn't really big enough to keep a bun in. Rescues tend to recommend 5foot by 2ft two tier or 6foot by 2 foot two tier with a permanent attached run. Hutch & run needs to be foz proof

It's also important that bun can stand up on her back legs - so plenty of head room.

The best thing you could do would be to get her spayed & bond her with a neutered male bun (from a Rescue;), so she had company:D

Feed - their diets should mostly be hay. Introduce veg slowly & pellets are better than mix - they only need a few:D

Stick around on here, you'll learn tonnes - & wind up like me, with 15 buns:oops::lol:

Last edited:
I had a netherland dwarf who lived for 10 years. I was extremely lucky with him i think, he only went to the vets once for a check up and nail trim and not another ailment in his life!

It varies - some buns have lived up to 15 years, but as a lot of buns are the result of bad breeders or accidental litters - genetically they may have heart/teeth problems that will stop them living as long or healthly.

If your bun is spayed & vaccinated, wormed & regularly checked for all the hazards - flystrike/injury/abscesses, you will be giving her the best chance:D

3ft isn't really big enough to keep a bun in. Rescues tend to recommend 5foot by 2ft two tier or 6foot by 2 foot two tier with a permanent attached run. Hutch & run needs to be foz proof

It's also important that bun can stand up on her back legs - so plenty of head room.

The best thing you could do would be to get her spayed & bond her with a neutered male bun (from a Rescue;), so she had company:D

Feed - their diets should mostly be hay. Introduce veg slowly & pellets are better than mix - they only need a few:D

Stick around on here, you'll learn tonnes - & wind up like me, with 15 buns:oops::lol:

hi thanks for the advice i got it wrong its a 4ft hutch and she has head room too

Back