• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bites

Kepling

Young Bun
It is 6am (almost) and i thought as i was not tired id let the buns in their run, so i set it all up and let them out, for some reason Novella wouldnt come out, so i picked her up, and since i got her on sunday shes had a baldy spot on her back, i didnt know what it was, anyway, i put my hand over it and felt something unfamillier(sp?) so i pulled back the fur and there was a little bite, just little, but i stroked to see if the was anymore, there was, about 5 more of them, then i kept going, and on her right sholder blade there was a scab about the size of a five pence piece, and about 2-4mm of dried blood on the top, to get this way would have taken over 5 days to happen so it cant of happened here, the only rabbit shes had contact with is Fazaiah but Zai doesnt have a scratch.

Is Zai attacking Novel?

ATM i have seperated them but i cant do it for long as i only have 2 hutches (trigs indoor and outdoor) and Zai is in the shed with the indoor hutch!

It is 6am (almost) and i thought as i was not tired id let the buns in their run, so i set it all up and let them out, for some reason Novella wouldnt come out, so i picked her up, and since i got her on sunday shes had a baldy spot on her back, i didnt know what it was, anyway, i put my hand over it and felt something unfamillier(sp?) so i pulled back the fur and there was a little bite, just little, but i stroked to see if the was anymore, there was, about 5 more of them, then i kept going, and on her right sholder blade there was a scab about the size of a five pence piece, and about 2-4mm of dried blood on the top, to get this way would have taken over 5 days to happen so it cant of happened here, the only rabbit shes had contact with is Fazaiah but Zai doesnt have a scratch.

Is Zai attacking Novel?

ATM i have seperated them but i cant do it for long as i only have 2 hutches (trigs indoor and outdoor) and Zai is in the shed with the indoor hutch!

Why would it have taken 5 days to get like that? am confused :?
Are they rabbit bites or flea/mozzi bites? I would get any bites checked out by a vet just to make sure no infection. If rabbit bites then yes I think you need to separate until you can rebond or supervise time together. Am sure someone more experienced with bonding will be along in a minute.

Why would it have taken 5 days to get like that? am confused :?
Are they rabbit bites or flea/mozzi bites? I would get any bites checked out by a vet just to make sure no infection. If rabbit bites then yes I think you need to separate until you can rebond or supervise time together. Am sure someone more experienced with bonding will be along in a minute.

It was pretty dry, like, healing had started, while the little ones had more skin colour than blood colour to them, its about 3-4x the size of a flea bite and we dont have mozzies. Im taking her down to the vet later today to make sure, Thing is, my mum REALLY didnt want me to get two buns, so if the bonding prossess has to restart, shes gonna make me rehome one of them :(

It was pretty dry, like, healing had started, while the little ones had more skin colour than blood colour to them, its about 3-4x the size of a flea bite and we dont have mozzies. Im taking her down to the vet later today to make sure, Thing is, my mum REALLY didnt want me to get two buns, so if the bonding prossess has to restart, shes gonna make me rehome one of them :(

In an area of high vascular supply healing could be fairly fast. Can you see teeth marks?....if they're bigger than flea bites then I suspect they could be rabbit bites and one bun is being bullied by the other - or mounted repeatedly perhaps?? Both neutered? Am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon......:)

These are two unneutered females aren't they.....

That's your problem. You would need to neuter them asap if you wanted to keep them together. Some unneutered same sex pairs will get on, but personally I wouldn't keep two together if they are showing signs of mounting. The bites sound like they are in the prime place for this sort of thing. It's always a risk keeping two unneutered rabbits together, as whilst this is normal behaviour it can very quickly escalate and you could end up with one or two seriously injured rabbits.

These are two unneutered females aren't they.....

That's your problem. You would need to neuter them asap if you wanted to keep them together. Some unneutered same sex pairs will get on, but personally I wouldn't keep two together if they are showing signs of mounting. The bites sound like they are in the prime place for this sort of thing. It's always a risk keeping two unneutered rabbits together, as whilst this is normal behaviour it can very quickly escalate and you could end up with one or two seriously injured rabbits.

Yes, Two Unspayed does.
they are both 5mos old and my vet wont spay till 6mos.
Sounds like im gonna have to start looking for a home for one :(
Ihave got them both seperated atm, Novella is in my room despite
my knowledge of my mum going to go off her head when she finds out :oops:
I havent notices any mounting, at all, but after closing the shed door at
night i do hear a rumble as if theyre darting about, when i open the door, theystop.

Yes, Two Unspayed does.
they are both 5mos old and my vet wont spay till 6mos.
Sounds like im gonna have to start looking for a home for one :(
Ihave got them both seperated atm, Novella is in my room despite
my knowledge of my mum going to go off her head when she finds out :oops:
I havent notices any mounting, at all, but after closing the shed door at
night i do hear a rumble as if theyre darting about, when i open the door, theystop.

Can't you find some way with your mum's support that you can keep them separated for a month (perhaps an indoor set up for one?) until they are spayed and then have a go at rebonding? Buns are always happier with a companion bunny and it would be such a shame to rehome :(

I had to beg my mum to get them, and she wont let trigger inside for 10mins so i dont think she is gonna spring for the 4weeks. If i do have to rehome one ill contact the person i bought them from, she has a neutered buck that she could bond her with, and i have trigger to bond the other one with :(

Rabbits can be neutered from 4 months depending on the vet. It sounds like your vet is going by the 'text book' age, when really there is no reason to wait providing they weigh at least 1kg. I always have any youngsters that come here neutered when they hit that mark to prevent any hormonal related behaviour to develop that may become imprinted. You could try calling around other vets....or if it's case that your mum won't pay then maybe you would be best to rehome one :(

Back