• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will hay make the hutches to warm?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Both hutches have big bundles of hay in one corner which ends up kicked allover the place.
I just wondered do you think I should tidy there hay into a rack during this weather so they have more clear floor space?
Also there bedroom area is full of straw should I empty it for now?

Sorry I know a lot of threads are like this, guess we all worry and want as much advice as possible.

My buns are free to come and go out of their hutches as they like, and as such they rarely choose to be indoors during the warmer months. (They tend to only go into their hutches if it pours with rain.)
So bunnies do not need to be kept warm in the summer, but would probably like a tray of hay to lie on as it is more comfortable. Perhaps a couple of sheets of newspapers in their bedroom might be enough, and save a few pence for the winter!
Mine tend to lie on the ground, any old where, and especially in the sunshine.
As long as they have a constant supply of hay to eat, they probably don't need any more.
You can tell when buns are too hot, as they breathe fast, and even pant... then you need to take some cooling measures.

Both hutches have big bundles of hay in one corner which ends up kicked allover the place.
I just wondered do you think I should tidy there hay into a rack during this weather so they have more clear floor space?
Also there bedroom area is full of straw should I empty it for now?

Sorry I know a lot of threads are like this, guess we all worry and want as much advice as possible.

I don't think it would make a lot of difference really. I would just make sure they are somewhere shaded and cool as possible, use ice bottles and provide plenty of fresh water and position a fan over them if it gets too warm.
I would rather keep the deep bedding to protect their feet from developing sore hocks when they are at rest. A flat hard surface has no cushioning whatsoever, so unless they have other places to sit - like grass in a run, I would keep the bedding in there to pad out their feet. :D

Insulation

Hay is a natural insulator - so if it's hot, it will keep the bunny cooler, and if its cold, it will keep the warm in. Plenty of ventilation is important in the hot weather, but having hay in the bedding area won't do your buns any harm. Trust his instincts as well, if he's too hot, he'll move.

Back