• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please with Frank - Updated been to vets

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Frank isn't himself. He's been outside with the others most of the day but they have been in complete shade with a big white duvet sheet over them and plenty of water.

At about 3 pm I threw some greens into the run for them. Frank would usually run to them and start eating but he didn't. My alarm bells started ringing and I bought him into the house somewhere cool.

His ears felt a little hot so I bathed his ears to take the temperature down. He isn't listless and is moving about ok. He isn't sitting all hunched up and also isn't grinding his teeth. He just isn't eating. He hasn't pooed or had a wee either. I've still got him indoors as we speak with a little fan on him to keep him cool. I am also regularly syringe feeding him cooled boiled water which he is taking ok. The last time he ate was breakfast this morning.

What do you think? I will be staying up with him tonight so I can carry on administering him with fluids. I wish they could talk and tell us what was wrong :(

Last edited:
I don't know but I hope he will be ok:( Sophie is not herself either and I know she is not liking the heat, her appetite isnt as good but she is eating. I have cool damp towels down for her to lie on. Maybe try hand feeding him some veg?

If he has not poo'd today then he cannot wait til the morning to see a Vet.
Personally I would get him seen tonight. At the very least it sounds as though he needs pain relief.

Thanks Jane but he just done some poos. However, they were quite black and some were small and some were big but peculiar shapes - a bit nobbly shaped. Am giving him some infacol and am feeding him chamomile tea aswell. He also appears a bit brighter. He isn't hunched up in any way and also isn't restless. What does anyone think?

I agree with Jane. Please get him to the vets tonight. Sending lots of vibes for Frank xxxxxx

Sounds like gastric stasis and/or an impaction, but that the fluids you gave him have started to rehydrate his guts and get it moving again. Droppings post GI stasis/impactions are always nobbly and funny shaped. Dehydration in this weather will happen very quickly and make any stasis/impaction worse. Even though he's pooing now a little I would still want a vet check asap (as in tonight) and some pain relief, and maybe some gut motility agents too to keep everything moving + fluids if necessary. Hope he feels better soon.:)

Took Frank last night to the vets where the vet could feel his tummy was a bit gassy. There was no poop but that's because he hadn't eaten. His temperature was fine and his teeth were fine. We think he may have a little respiratory infection due to Frank occassionally having a bout of sneezing and also a little discharge from his nose. However, his chest does sound clear. The vet said the hot weather wouldn't have helped if Frank wasn't drinking enough so it was probably a contributing factor.

Anway, the vet gave him a gut stimulant and a pain killer and kept him in feeding him science recovery and giving him fluids. Also antibiotics for his infection. Sally went with him as she likes looking after him.

Today I have had a phone call saying he has just started eating - yay! Am so relieved. All we need now is poops. He is obviously feeling better bless him.

The vet will ring at 5ish to probably let me know I can take him home touch wood. I need to take him back tomorrow for another antibiotic injection. I am so pleased and relieved. Frank is such a gentle little thing.

0017.jpg

Back