• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo trauma!!! Heat?

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
sorry if this thread is a repeat- for the first time since i had theo and cleo i have found a few caeceotrphs in their toilet which has never happened before- is this likely to be because of the heat?

sorry if this thread is a repeat- for the first time since i had theo and cleo i have found a few caeceotrphs in their toilet which has never happened before- is this likely to be because of the heat?

Excess caecotrophs are a sign of a little caecal dysbiosis. If you get a lot of them then it is more pronounced.
There are all sorts of causes for this - the most common is a diet too high in starch/carbohydrates or protein, too much of a certain veg that one/both don't tolerate well or a veg that has gone yellow or wilted, or too much grass if not used to it.
It can also be a symptom of dental problems, obesity, stiffness from age-related changes, or caused by antibiotics as these upset the caecum.
Heat is more likely to cause stasis/impaction by dehydration. (But I could be wrong)
Any of the above sound like they could have caused it?
I would personally withdraw or reduce pelleted food for a day or two and up the hay intake and make sure plenty of water available. I would also go easy or cut out the veg for a day or two as well, especially things like cabbage, swiss chard as these can often cause digestive upset in some buns. Definitely avoid fruit and carrots for a few days too - these are high in sugar.
Hope it settles down soon! :) It's not a major problem in the short term but is a risk of them sticking to the rear end/fur and attracting blowflies - fly strike. :(

thank you- we have no fence at the moment any my neighbour keeps feeding them random weeds like dandelions etc that yes have wilted in the sun- much to my annoyance- she does it when im out

sounds like it could be the answer

many thanks

Back