• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Diet for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs...

http://www.alstoe.co.uk/vetpet.html

Anyone tried it? The fibre content doesn't seem as high as SS.

It is exclusive to veterinary surgeries but I am a bit dubious (I don't like change! :oops:)

The company are punting it around loads of vets, ours included. I have a sample from another vets as they asked a friend to try it and having read the contents am not impressed. The ash level is too high (ash being non-natural content that doesn't disappear when burnt i.e. clay) and so too is the lucerne (alfalfa), not good for calcium levels, so I won't be buying any.

It's also very green (looks artificial but probably isn't). I've never heard of this company before and am wondering where they have appeared from.
Anybody else know anything about them and their ethics?

The company are punting it around loads of vets, ours included. I have a sample from another vets as they asked a friend to try it and having read the contents am not impressed. The ash level is too high (ash being non-natural content that doesn't disappear when burnt i.e. clay) and so too is the lucerne (alfalfa), not good for calcium levels, so I won't be buying any.

It's also very green (looks artificial but probably isn't). I've never heard of this company before and am wondering where they have appeared from.
Anybody else know anything about them and their ethics?

I feel the same Helen. One of the partners here is getting all excited over it but I will not be using it for my lot.

I know what you mean about it looking artificial, it smells a bit funny too!

I have never heard from this company either.

The recommended quantity 20-30g/kg is better than most manufactures... implies they do know a bit about bunny diet.

The recommended quantity 20-30g/kg is better than most manufactures... implies they do know a bit about bunny diet.

That's true and in fact having just had a look at SS contents, I'm probably going to need to compare all of the pellets which I prefer currently as SS has the highest constituent in their pellets as alfalfa too! And pressed peas. So, methinks I shall wait and see what a comparison between SS, AndP and maybe Alstoe might work out like.

Someone out there must know something about this company unless they are very new.....

That's true and in fact having just had a look at SS contents, I'm probably going to need to compare all of the pellets which I prefer currently as SS has the highest constituent in their pellets as alfalfa too! And pressed peas. So, methinks I shall wait and see what a comparison between SS, AndP and maybe Alstoe might work out like.

Someone out there must know something about this company unless they are very new.....

Apparently they have been around for years and we use lots of drugs from them. However, in my opinion, that doesn't neccessarily mean they have a good background knowledge of rabbit diet etc.

Helen - Only stuff I've ever seen us order from Alstoe is a couple of drugs (they make Vetergesic, I think, amongst other things) and kennel liners/cleaning products. We don't order from them often! I didn't even know they did food :?

Helen - Only stuff I've ever seen us order from Alstoe is a couple of drugs (they make Vetergesic, I think, amongst other things) and kennel liners/cleaning products. We don't order from them often! I didn't even know they did food :?

Hello missus!

Well I'm now going to give it a go as a trial, because Uncle Ivan the bunny master vet has requested I try my lot to see how palatable it is and if there are any problems. Seems that they are quite a decent family run company whose literature seems to be pointing out that all pelleted food is only a complimentary food stuff and that hay is the main diet for buns.

So I'm going to try it out. Apparently it's not likely to be any better value than Science Selective though so cost may prevent it from being an option in the longer term.

I was reading through their care sheet last night actually and their diet advice seems pretty good! Just seems strange that a company that is known for drugs and cleaning stuff should start making rabbit food!

I say if it aint broke don't fix it, but I will be interested to hear your findings on the trial!

Might be good for elderly buns with mobility issues if it contains glucosamine

It may be, but my hesitation is due to it having a high level of alfalfa (lucerne), which wouldn't be good for bunnies who may have a problem with calcium, which may be more frequent in an older bunny (?).

Well the partners at my vets have decided to sell it without doing any background reading/research (which I offered to do!!!) :roll:

I got handed some free samples at my vets to see what I think. it looks a lot like bunny poos to me, have not tried any of the buns on it yet tho.

I just wondered if there was any update on this?

My vets sell it and use it for bunnies in their care. When I had a problem with ours not eating recently (I think my bag of burgess might have gone off or something) I tried a bag of this and I must say the bunnies seem to really enjoy it. But obviously quality of diet must be more important than just how much they like it. I'm at the stage where I need to buy another bag of something so would appreciate views as to whether to stick with this or go for something else.

Just found this post as only just come across the food and wondered if anyone else has tried it and what your thoughts were on it? I cant decide whether to try it or not? :)

Back