• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies hate me trying to cool them down...

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
:shock: :roll: :cry:

They will not lie on frozen bottles
They hate my spraying them with fine mist
They will not drink much water
They through tantrums when i hose the run down
They will not lie in the shade :roll:

What the hell am i supposed to do :cry:

Leave the bottles there as an option - maybe cover them in a tea towel or something incase they dislike the hard/really cold feel of them directly, move or cover the run so they have no choice but to be in the shade, add a little apple or pineapple juice to the water to make it a bit more appealing, give veg so they get the water content out of that too, other than that I'd leave them to chill!

Leave them alone? :lol:

They will probably get more stressed out by you trying to help them than you just giving them some shade and a huge bowl of water and leaving them to it, if they chose not to sit in the shade that is most likely because they are not hot. Try not to worry. :)

Leave them alone? :lol:

They will probably get more stressed out by you trying to help them than you just giving them some shade and a huge bowl of water and leaving them to it, if they chose not to sit in the shade that is most likely because they are not hot. Try not to worry. :)

But they pant really bad, and there noses get like damp :( so i take it they are hot.

I agree leaving a variety of options with them is probably the best choice.

My outside buns have a soaking wet cold towel to lie on if they want, a frozen brick to lie with/on in they want, and a frozen bottle for the same thing. They also obviously have plenty of shade too. They pick and choose what they want. I'm trying to check them regularly, but not hassle them, because, like Sooz says, that will stress them out.

I agree leaving a variety of options with them is probably the best choice.

My outside buns have a soaking wet cold towel to lie on if they want, a frozen brick to lie with/on in they want, and a frozen bottle for the same thing. They also obviously have plenty of shade too. They pick and choose what they want. I'm trying to check them regularly, but not hassle them, because, like Sooz says, that will stress them out.

I panic though as i am at work all day and they are in the run. I panic in case they go to hot! Im one of these over protective mummys! :lol:

What about not spraying them with water but when you give them tickles wetting your hands first? Also removes lots of dead fur so 2 jobs in one!

This is the only way i get my rabbits damp as they too hate the spray!

I'm at work all day too - I pop back at lunch luckily. If you leave all the options there for them - and have done verything you can to help them (short of bringing them inside which is the only other choice) there isn't much you can do to make them utilise the cooling aids you are providing.

Sometimes I think they are daft... you are hot - this will cool you down - so for godsake use it!! :roll::roll: But perhaps they do not feel as hot as we think they do?

It is hard not to worry - but the only other thing you can do is bring them inside - the weather is out of our control and unfortunately I am sure there are wild animals out there who are suffering and even dying. Don't mean to sound harsh. The freak weather is something none of us are used to so we just need to do what we can for our animals.

What about those police dogs who boiled to death when the copper left them in the car - or has this already been posted ? :? :evil:

Just leave a large selection of things that they can use then, in different places. That's pretty much all you can do.

Thanks everyone :)

I also pop back on my dinner. They look at me as if to say "im really hot mummy" So i spray them and they protest!

I cant win :lol:

Back