• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do if one of a pair dies

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hi, one of my house rabbits is on a drip at the vets. Not apparent what is wrong with her, but she is listless and not eating drinking since I got home from work last night. Took her to the emergency vet last night who gave her an injection to get her stomach going but no improvement this morning so took her to our normal vet. Who wanted to get some fluids in her and monitor her.

Have left both rabbits at the vets but not sure what to do as meant to go on holiday on Saturday. And would feel guilty if she's not well.

Please advise if she doesnt make it what I should do with Binky. Should he stay on his own for a while or should we try and get him bonded with another rescue rabbit straight away? They were rescue rabbits from different homes but have been together since September, and they are between 1 and 2 years old.

Thank you.

Hi, one of my house rabbits is on a drip at the vets. Not apparent what is wrong with her, but she is listless and not eating drinking since I got home from work last night. Took her to the emergency vet last night who gave her an injection to get her stomach going but no improvement this morning so took her to our normal vet. Who wanted to get some fluids in her and monitor her.

Have left both rabbits at the vets but not sure what to do as meant to go on holiday on Saturday. And would feel guilty if she's not well.

Please advise if she doesnt make it what I should do with Binky. Should he stay on his own for a while or should we try and get him bonded with another rescue rabbit straight away? They were rescue rabbits from different homes but have been together since September, and they are between 1 and 2 years old.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your poor bunny :( I really hope she pulls through! Fingers crossed :)
Sounds like she had gone into gastric stasis, but there can be many underlying causes for this so I hope she makes a good recovery. It could also have been heat exhaustion, the weather is making a lot of bunnies poorly.
I'm not sure about Binky, I think it's important that he stays with her to keep their bond if she should make a recovery, and it may also encourage her to get better having her companion with her. If possible, which it isn't always, it helps the other bun to be with her when she has passed for a short while, and a lot of buns can get very depressed when they lose a bonded partner so often a new bond, when the time is right is a very good idea. Sometimes buns heal better with a new bond quickly, but lets hope that she makes a good recovery and you won't have to think about that. :)

I'm sorry you are going through so much stress.

What is happening with them when you go away?

All bunnies need to see the body if the rabbit passes, so bear that in mind, however hard that might be.

If the worst does happen and you lose the bun then really you will have to watch Binky to see what he wants. Some bunnies are happy to be by themselves (if this is the case I tend to use a lot of stimulation of new toys, new experiences, etc, to distract them), but this may not be ideal when you will be away and he will have more time to be lonely.

Some bunnies need a new friend instantly, but again, this holds its risks when you are going away because they may not be able to be watched as closely during the bonding and shortly after as would be advised, and there is the obvious risk of fighting.

I hope your bunny does pull through though. Please keep us updated.

Hi, thank you for your response. THey are going to stay with a good friend who has them in a cool kitchen. This is where they regularly go when we are on hoilday. It is a noisy household with two teenagers but the mother really looks after my rabbits they also have the benefit of a garden. So it may be a good distraction.

Back