• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry my house rabbit

maxi

Young Bun
Hello there, I have had my mini lop Rabbit Harry to the vets today for a check up he has a bold patch on his back where his fur is starting to come out, the vet has given me so spot on called insecticidal xenex ultra spot on i was wondering if any of you have had this for there rabbits? its got 6 tubes for 2 weekly application, he also told me that when you give harry his greens put a tiny bit of vegetable oil in and mix it around the bowl, its helps there skin. thanks maxi and harry:wave::D

Yes have used Xeno 450 spot-on for possible mites. You do an application once every 2 wks for 6 wks just like your vet said. You apply it to the back of the neck just below the back of the head so bun can't reach it easily, and try and keep bun from licking it off for a few hours until the active ingred has had a chance to absorb in. Our vet reckoned about 4 hours until it's pretty much absorbed so try and occupy your bun with some tasty leaves every time they try to wash it off :)
It does sound like the vet suspects skin mites (cheyletiella - spelling?)!
Has your bun been poorly recently? Often a flare up of skin mites are related to buns who have recently been ill or their immune system is suppressed?

Not sure about the oil thing though! :?

Please be careful with Xenex. It must be ok with some rabbits, but I know of several on here who have had bad reactions to it (in my very extreme case, I? lost my bun). However, the vet must have prescribed it for a reason. Maybe use the search function on here for it to see previous posts about it.

Please be careful with Xenex. It must be ok with some rabbits, but I know of several on here who have had bad reactions to it (in my very extreme case, I? lost my bun). However, the vet must have prescribed it for a reason. Maybe use the search function on here for it to see previous posts about it.

Is Xenex different to Xeno? I thought it was a typo! :oops:

harry my house rabbit

Thanks for the emails, the vet could not see any files, ticks or lice in his coat but it looked like dandruff so he said to be on the safe side we will try spot on. no harry is in pretty good health running around the house like a mad rabbit !:wave::D

Ooh yes it's permethrin :( If it was my bun I would prefer Ivermectin - Xeno 450! Sorry for my mistake. Just realised that Xenex is different :(

Yup, It is different. Xenex, as you say is Prmethrin, and Xeno is Ivermectin. I've used Xeno 450 plenty of times with no problems, but with Xenex I used it once and my healthy but flea ridden bun was dead the next day. I would always stick with Xeno 450 unless there was no other option than to use the Xenex and I'd probably spend the next 24 hours after application bawling my eyes out and terrified of losing the bun, lol.

I think the Xenex is for lie and fleas, and the Xeno450 can be good for mites.

I had heard that the only product licensed for fleas for rabbits was Advantage - Imidocloprid? So if it were fleas this would be my choice. I could be wrong!
I would always be very wary about any permethrin product :(
I'm so sorry you lost your bunny, hard to say what it was I suppose but of course it would make you very wary in future - me too!

Not the thread for this but she was weighed wrong, so she got an overdose of it, and I suspect it might have reacted with her anyway, but in a bigger dose it blitzed her body.

I too think Advantage is a better product. Not one I've personally used (my vets at that time were LESS than savvy and I now have a far superior vet, plus far more knowledge myself) but one many people have good reports of.

harry

I have just phone the vets to ask about this xenex ultra spot on and i told her that i was very unhappy with this they told me to go back this afternoon and change it for the xeno 450 is this the best one to use for harry i only want the best for him:D

I have just phone the vets to ask about this xenex ultra spot on and i told her that i was very unhappy with this they told me to go back this afternoon and change it for the xeno 450 is this the best one to use for harry i only want the best for him:D

Well i've never used the permethrin one and i'm sure it's ok to use. But I would definitely be happier with the Ivermectin - Xeno 450 so if you can bear to go back in the heat and get it I think that would be best. I'm sure the other one is fine too, I don't want to be scaremongering! :oops: But I would prefer the Xeno 450. :)

harry

Hi I was just wondering my harry poos gets all over his bum and fur whats the best way to clean it ? i need to clean it ?

Last edited:
My vet prefers to administer an Ivermectin injection two weeks apart instead of a spot on - he has seen far less of a reaction to the injection and he believes it to be more effective. I agree.

Back