• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its Only 0830hrs.............

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.......and I have already had to cool shower some of the Buns :cry:
Fans and air-con on but it's still TOO BLOODY HOT :evil:

I'm dreading today as its "big clean out in the garden day" and for the last 3 days my thermometer has been reading 45 degrees out there :shock::(

I am just hoping my pair can stay cool while I am at work all day. They are in the back bedroom with the curtains closed to keep the sun off and have plenty of water and an ice pod.

im at work too, whiskey is outside with ice pods and cold water, boo is inside with fans and ice pods and frozen bottles

Good grief! I opened all the windows at 5.00am when it cooled down a bit, closed up & drew curtains at 6.00 am & it's 27C already! :shock:
He purrs now when sponged down !

So glad that the Somerset area has rain forecasted for lunchtime onwards to keep things cool (though I am predicting we'll go from heatwave drought to flash flooding :roll: hope my buns can swim! :lol:) It was already 20 degrees before 8am this morning :shock:

Hope those in London etc manage to keep their buns & other fluffies nice n chilled :(

Last edited:
I got up at 7:30 today and put all the buns out and i felt the sun on my back as i was doing it, its so hot.

My Edgar-bunny was in a state of near collapse this morning... :? When I went to give him his breakfast, he was flopped in his litter tray with megazorb all over him like he'd been flopping about (sort of like I was doing in bed!) and he didn't want his breakfast... So we brought him in, dampened his ears, gave him a break and a bowl of water and he perked up VERY quickly... But I'm really surprised. His hutch is the one in the heaviest shade (as far as I'm aware, it never gets direct sun on it), and this was really early as I'd literally only got up. He's fine now, but I'm watching them all like a hawk now...!

What would you do if your house bunny was in a room all day where you cant open the windows as it's a ground floor flat (worried about being broken into as the windows open all the way out)

What would be the best precautions to take to stop your little bunny (say about 8-10 weeks old) becoming too hot, especially if you are in work all day..

What would you do if your house bunny was in a room all day where you cant open the windows as it's a ground floor flat (worried about being broken into as the windows open all the way out)

What would be the best precautions to take to stop your little bunny (say about 8-10 weeks old) becoming too hot, especially if you are in work all day..

Well for a start I'd make sure all curtains are closed from first light. Also that all lights and electrical appliances are disconnected, except for a fan.

I'd provide several ice-pods and bowls of water rather than sipper-bottles.

I expect others will be along soon with more suggestions.

In this extreme hot weather (well for the UK anyway) the best method is what they do on the Continent, and that's keep your windows and curtains closed during the heat of the day anyway! It actually keeps the room cooler when the air outside is hotter than in.
So I would suggest you open everything up first thing, or over night whatever is safer for you, and cool it all down as much as possible, then shut everything up before you go out, this keeps the temp down loads inside. As soon as you get home and outside air temp has dropped off open it all up again :)
If you can safely position a fan without your bun reaching the cables then this will help to cool them by conduction if they are very hot, or have it blowing gently a distance away. Move bun to the coolest room in your flat and put down some frozen water bottles wrapped in a pillowcase/teatowel for bunny to lie against if they want to :)

I agree with Jane my two are in my room they have the curtains closed, frozen bottles wrapped in towels, a ceiling fan and two other fans where the wires are out of reach. I only open my little windows just in case some bun gets up there which is highly unlikely but I like to be sure.

Its warm up here but nothing major :) sky is cloudy and there is a little breeze, just perfect id say :) Warm enough to sit outside with a vest top on :)

I feel sorry for all of you that have the heat :( Must be terrible!
Sending vibes for cooler weather :wave:

Back