• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

omg ...fly eggs on Flopsey

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
:( just spent the last hour clearing fly eggs from flopsey .... :(

i do hope we have got them all ..

she did have a xenox treatment before i went away so may still be covered by that but im so scared for her ..

going to get more stuff tomorrow ...but dont know if i should go for xeno or rear guard ..:?...opinions ??

:shock:

Is there any reason why they would lay eggs on her..

This happened to teddy last summer. Personally, I would go for the rearguard....

how do they like? I had a look at fanta and George but I didnt know what I was looking for if I am Honest...

You would know if you saw them..... they are a couple of mm in length, pale yellowish in colour, and tend to be in clusters. It's important to check underneath, the base of the tail and the hind area.

she is an old lady and is having mobility probs at the moment ...suspected arthritus :(

awwww poor Flopsey :(:(

I would def rearguard her every 8 weeks as she is likely to attract the flies. I hate them, they prey on elderly and sick bunnies. I was so shocked when it happened to Teddy because he's so young, but he'd had an anaesthetic a couple of days before and must have urinated on himself while out of it. I stupidly thought putting him in the garden for a couple of hours would perk him up. Within a matter of a few hours he was covered in eggs and some had hatched. :( Luckily they hadn't caused any damage.

Rearguard (can you get any tonight) will stop the eggs hatching, however in this warm weather if you don't do it tonight it might be too late tomorrow morning as they may have hatched and you would need something different. You will need to keep a close eye and pick off any that you have not found that may hatch during the night.

We found one tiny maggot and one egg on Homer (I did the rearguard last week) on Friday morning but nothing else, I immediately took him to the vet - not treatment was given and we were told to keep a close eye for next 24-48 hours. We think he may have picked them up off the grass.

I think they can use Iver? to kill any if required.

Last edited:
i have checked her again :?...cant see anything else...

tucked up now with a fly screen over hutch ...she will have to stay in till i can get some stuff from the vets tomorrow...

as i said she may still be covered by the xenox but im not taking any chances..:?

checked flops again this morning and looks all clear but as soon as i opened the hutch the flies were in there buzzing around ... :? :(

put the fly screen back over but im scared to death they are gunna find a way in :?

Oh no what a worry.

Is it worth putting some citronellla round the hutch or on the fly screen to deter the flies?

Phew, glad you have found no more. I too am paranoid and have been keeping my two in except for early morning and later in evening for free range time.

Have you got any mint plants or lemon balm. I move these around the lawn when the bunnies are in the runs it seems to keep the flies away. Sending vibes for Flopsey hopes she's OK.

What about those sticky fly papers? B&Q sell them. It's scary how full of flies they get after a few days

Hope she's ok

The fly nets work brilliantly if it's any comfort. The only time I get fly's in my sheds is if they sneak in when the fly net is open for us to get in / out. I hope Flopsey will be ok :)

well Flops is now rearguarded ... and she wasnt happy about it all :roll:

only thing is i still dont feel happy about it ... i dont trust it to work :roll: :roll:

im scared to let her out now ... :(...she came inside with the windows closed for excersise yesterday ..but she is missing being in the garden .. :(

Back