• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what ARE these noises???

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
My vet reckons my little fella has no respiratory problems so what are the nuzzly,grunty little noises then?? Even when hes eating I hear them.
Hes a nethie...7 months old....had snuffles ages ago and had loads of baytril.
Now no discharge and like ive said already,vet says no resp probs.
Any ideas anyone????

My vet reckons my little fella has no respiratory problems so what are the nuzzly,grunty little noises then?? Even when hes eating I hear them.
Hes a nethie...7 months old....had snuffles ages ago and had loads of baytril.
Now no discharge and like ive said already,vet says no resp probs.
Any ideas anyone????

Well it could be upper respiratory infection noises considering his history, but it could just be normal bunny sounds? Ours grunt when they're being territorial or grumpy. Poppy, our girl, makes all sorts of grumbles and grunts and huffs and puffs - some buns are just very vocal. Is it new? Or has he always done it? If new I would think it was something respiratory related? Perhaps he has some dust up his nose?

A previous RTI that had gone on for some time can leave a Bun with thickened nasal membranes and this will lead to them snuffling and snorting when eating. They also tend to snore when sleeping!!
Rabbits are obligate nose breathers so any narrowing of the nasal passages caused by thickened membranes will lead to a snuffly snorty sounding Bun. Add to that the short nose of Nethies and it makes the noises even more pronounced.

Also, after a long bout of a RTI a residual chronic rhinitis can occur-a thin watery totally clear nasal discharge.

You just need to be vigilant re any signs of active infection (white nasal discharge, lots of sneezing etc). This hot weather is causing a lot of Buns with a past history of RTIs to relapse so keeping Bun as cool and stress-free as possible is essential

A previous RTI that had gone on for some time can leave a Bun with thickened nasal membranes and this will lead to them snuffling and snorting when eating. They also tend to snore when sleeping!!
Rabbits are obligate nose breathers so any narrowing of the nasal passages caused by thickened membranes will lead to a snuffly snorty sounding Bun. Add to that the short nose of Nethies and it makes the noises even more pronounced.

Also, after a long bout of a RTI a residual chronic rhinitis can occur-a thin watery totally clear nasal discharge.

You just need to be vigilant re any signs of active infection (white nasal discharge, lots of sneezing etc). This hot weather is causing a lot of Buns with a past history of RTIs to relapse so keeping Bun as cool and stress-free as possible is essential

Yes that's very true, chronic rhinitis in humans can lead to thickening of the nasal passages and a chronic sinusitis, and that makes them snore and breathe noisily! So I can imagine with 'nose breathers' this would be far more pronounced.

Thankyou Jane.Theres no discharge,or sneezing,and I am keeping a watchful eye.xx

It could just be him.B makes loads of snuffly noises when she eats,drinks,sleeps.She snores like a trooper.My last bun was the same.Vet always listens to her chest when she goes and there is no problem.My last bun also made these noises & she lived to a grand old age!:)

my bunny was making strange noises (see my thread Middle ear infection) and although his chest clear it was his lymph nodes and his throat was swollen which was causing him to breathe strangley.
You should get vet to check around the throat area for any growths or swelling.

Back