• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tika has been to the vet!

Hi All,

What a day! Took girls to school this morning come back and Tika my 1 year old Nethie wasn't right at all. She was panting like mad and her head was going back! Typical symptoms of heatstroke!

So we wrapped her in a wet towel and got her up to the vets where she was monitored all day! Vet seems to think its more viral now though, her breathing seems a lot better tonight but I do think it was the heat!

I have to take her back tomorrow, she is drinking and as alert as ever! She and Harvey will be living in the living room until this damn heat wave is over!

Thrilled to have her back, just hope she is over the worst!

Louise
xxx

Hi All,

What a day! Took girls to school this morning come back and Tika my 1 year old Nethie wasn't right at all. She was panting like mad and her head was going back! Typical symptoms of heatstroke!

So we wrapped her in a wet towel and got her up to the vets where she was monitored all day! Vet seems to think its more viral now though, her breathing seems a lot better tonight but I do think it was the heat!

I have to take her back tomorrow, she is drinking and as alert as ever! She and Harvey will be living in the living room until this damn heat wave is over!

Thrilled to have her back, just hope she is over the worst!

Louise
xxx

Hope she feels better soon! :wave:
This weather is affecting so many bunnies. You did absolutely the right thing rushing her to the vet with heat stroke. Will keep my fingers crossed it's not a virus or anything more serious, although obviously heat stroke is pretty darn serious! I would suggest some ice packs/bottles and a gentle fan blowing over her (as long as she can't reach the cable) Also keep your windows and curtains closed during the heat of the day, it reallly does help stop rooms getting too warm. Get well soon Tika :)

Thanks guys! Tika seems fine, has ate a load of greens, dried mix, hay, water. Breathing is normal now . So I think it was the heat. I will take her up at 4:30 to the vets for her check up. :)

Will let you know!

xxx

Back