• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pickle wounded - do I separate from Pootle?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Pickle has a wound at the back of his head.. got him to the vets within 20 mins of finding him.. he has had metacam, antibiotics and the wound glued...he is inside whilst he heals because of worry of dirt and flystrike....

Do I separate him from Pootle? She is inside with him at the moment, but seems insistent on licking the wound.. worried it will pop open if she keeps on licking.... if that happens he will need a GA and stitches...

Do I keep them separate for a while? Her outside in their hutch and him inside? Worried about the bond breaking..

Thanks for any advice.

Anyone?

Have now separated them but next to each other indoors... hope I have done the right thing. I am hoping they will go back outside in a few days but still be bonded as they are side by side.

Anyone?

Have now separated them but next to each other indoors... hope I have done the right thing. I am hoping they will go back outside in a few days but still be bonded as they are side by side.

That's what I would suggest, but I'm not terribly experienced in this area of rabbits. As long as they can see and smell each other and lie side by side with some wire inbetween or near each other than that as far as I'm aware should maintain some sort of bond. Hopefully they'll be ok, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. For what it's worth I think you've done the right thing, I can imagine your other bunny wanted to help clean the wound but could rupture it or get it infected until you have the edges of the wound sealing themselves.
How did your bun get this cut? Were they fighting out of the blue? In which case, you may need to be vigilant when putting them back together. Hope his wound heals up soon :)

Thank you... at least someone replied!!!!

He is fine this morning - the glued wound is looking good... I might try them together when I get home from work tonight and that will be 24 hours for the skin to "stick". They are desperate to get to each other.. they were not fighting so I know they are wanting to be together for cuddles etc....

It may be that the glue used is strong enough to resist licking? Did you ask the vet? It may be that they can go back together sooner, i'm just not sure. I would want to be certain that firstly the glue is strong enough to hold, and secondly that it wasn't a fight that caused this injury in the first place. Good luck :)

It may be that the glue used is strong enough to resist licking? Did you ask the vet? It may be that they can go back together sooner, i'm just not sure. I would want to be certain that firstly the glue is strong enough to hold, and secondly that it wasn't a fight that caused this injury in the first place. Good luck :)

It wasnt a fight :cry: it was my fault he was injured :cry:

It wasnt a fight :cry: it was my fault he was injured :cry:

These things happen you know, don't feel bad, accidents happen. :(
I dropped a small heavy glass pot on Poppy's head not so long ago. She was sat by my feet when I was unwrapping a parcel on the sofa and a glass tester jar rolled off my lap and went 'donk' right on her head, it made a real 'donk' as well! I felt so awful and guilty!:( :oops: but she didn't even flinch. :shock:
We watched her really closely but two days later she got an impaction and stasis anyway! I know it must have been that, it was the only thing that had happened. She must have had a headache and slept more than usual, got dehydrated and wham...impaction! Vet assessed her skull and all was fine, eyes fine, must have just given her a headache despite pain relief :( These things happen you know. I hope he feels better soon, am sure he will :D

Last edited:
I know it was an accident, but I feel so angry with myself it happened at all. Felt sick to my stomach when I saw him injured but was down the vets in 20 minutes and I got immediate help... I did all I could to make him well rather than leave him to see if he got better by himself. But it shouldnt of happened in the first place...

I popped home at lunch time and he is still fine, so will make a bigger pen in the living room and let him snuggle with Pootle under supervision for a few days to make sure he is happy and healed before taking him back outside over the weekend.

Thanks for your support.

Please don't blame yourself. Accidents happen and I'm sure most of us have been in your situation :oops: . The most important thing is that you are looking after your bunnies. Sending lots of healing vibes xxxxxx

Thank you.. I have put them in a larger pen together this afternoon and they are all snuggly and more relaxed. Pickle is still healing well. They both spent all day wrecking their respective neighbouring pens in an attempt to get to each other so now they are more relaxed because they are together again :love:

Thank you... all good still. Although Pootle is licking Pickle the wound is healing and seems very strong. I will leave them indoors until Sunday when I will put them back outside as they are a bit spooked indoors.

They shut at 6.30pm. I have booked in for 9am tomorrow. I have put the wire back to keep them together but separate until then.

Poor pickle. It might have been better to post in rabbit chat..you may have had more people read it and have had a bit more support. Sending you and Pickle vibes and hope all goes well tomorrow.

Poor pickle. It might have been better to post in rabbit chat..you may have had more people read it and have had a bit more support. Sending you and Pickle vibes and hope all goes well tomorrow.

But its a health problem so put it in "health".... I wish more people would look in health as those are the bunnies that need most help. :(

Vet said he ok. On Baytril oral for one week. Go back Friday for follow up. He has to remain partitioned from Pootle so she cant get to him.

Vet said he ok. On Baytril oral for one week. Go back Friday for follow up. He has to remain partitioned from Pootle so she cant get to him.

Am glad all is ok, hopefully they'll be ok with the partition back, as long as they can see and smell each other:) Maybe they could have some play time together supervised, and intervene if she tries to groom him? Then just separate again when you're not around? Hope it heals up soon :)

Back