• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foods in garden...

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
What things in the garden can rabbits chew or eat...?

I mean like what kind of branches off trees, plants e.t.c.

They really like strawberry plant leaves... But im not sure what else they can have...

Someone told me they like to strip the wood of tree branches... But what kind of tree. Im not very good at the kind of thing,:oops: so pics would be brilliant!

Thank you. :wave:

The only really bunny safe trees are pear, apple, willow and hazel. They can eat the leaves and twigs/wood off all of these. Some willows have higher salicin levels than others though. No one yet knows if high salicin levels are a problem - but I would go with younger tips of any willow to be on the safe side.

Lavender, rosemary, bay, nettles (dried), cardoon, all herbs except chives, stachys (lamb's ears) are safe if nibbled, nasturtiums, pansies apparently!, nepeta etc. Most veg.

Avoid any plants that grow from bulbs, oak, beech, nectarine/plum/cherry trees, laurel, ivy when in berry, tomato, rhubarb, potato, wisteria, oleander, etc. are the most common poisonous ones.

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

Last edited:
also they can eat blackburry bushes,, blackcurrent and red current bushes, grasses, apple tree branches and leaves, most fruit tree leaves(tho not those with stones in the fruit) and also things such as wallflower dandilion, nasturshiums etc . x

Lavender, rosemary, bay, nettles (dried), cardoon, all herbs except chives, stachys (lamb's ears) are safe if nibbled, nasturtiums, pansies apparently!, nepeta etc. Most veg.

Can bunnies not have chives then? Cos I've seen them on several 'safe' lists on here :?

I've heard chives are bad before but our lot didn't like them anyway lol. Ours love willow branches the most! Also our blossom tree (flowers/leaves/stems etc) all get munched down! There was one plant that our rabbits adored at our last house but I never knew what it was. The plant was litterally stripped to as high as the buns could reach :D

my buns are very naughty

they have eaten the hebe bushes and the bushes with big thorns and orange berries(the ones the birds love)

Back