• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Euthanasia

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
I know this has been discussed before but I really need your views.

Do you think it is better to 'gas' rabbits (and other small mammals for that matter) first and then inject them in the heart. The gas smells horrid and makes them feel rotten so surely that must be stressful. That said, being injected in the heart without gas must be extremely painful.

Another option is to inject them straight into the liver which, I have been told by a vet, is far less stressful.

What do you think? What would you choose for your pet?

Thank you :)

I thought they were just injected into the blood stream :?
I have no clue about this, but surely they can not put the needle actually into the heart/liver.

Oh seriously?
When ever I have an animal PTS, I swear they just give them a quick jab - what's this?

With dogs and cats, they normally administer the lethal injection into a vein in the leg. It is much easier to find a vein in these animals then it is in rabbits. On the whole, it does appear much calmer in cats and dogs as most of them just drift off. I will never forget about 6 months ago when one of our locum vets didn't gas a rat first. He injected him in the heart and the poor thing was screaming his head off whilst the owner was in the waiting room crying :(

I held a rat while it was PTS and they injected into the abdomen... the rat didn't react badly and it was over quickly... that might've been lucky though :?

Mack was given a domitor & ketamine GA injection before he was given the pentobarbituate directly into his liver.

Mack was given a domitor & ketamine GA injection before he was given the pentobarbituate directly into his liver.

That is probably what I would opt for for my buns. The only problem is for 'regular' owners is that they are charged extra and wouldn't think to ask!

Thank you. x

mmmmmmmm surely if the animal is in pain already and its been decided its the best action how ever its done would be best, though reading the gas an jab in the heart sounds terrible, how is this differant to a bullet in the bk of the head sounds barbaric my uncle used to do this with all his pets granted mainly dogs feed them with lots of treats lots of cuddles took em for a walk if they were able in his fields, but its quick if not quicker, though i understand not everyone is a licensed gunmen, some vets still do it with large animals so why not small

i mean if its us we have to swallow a revolting fluid first before being administered the drug for our assisted deaths

are you saying then depending on how much we can afford effects on how our pets are put to sleep ? are owners given an option on how its done ?

mmmmmmmm surely if the animal is in pain already and its been decided its the best action how ever its done would be best, though reading the gas an jab in the heart sounds terrible, how is this differant to a bullet in the bk of the head sounds barbaric my uncle used to do this with all his pets granted mainly dogs feed them with lots of treats lots of cuddles took em for a walk if they were able in his fields, but its quick if not quicker, though i understand not everyone is a licensed gunmen, some vets still do it with large animals so why not small

i mean if its us we have to swallow a revolting fluid first before being administered the drug for our assisted deaths

Hey Zoe :wave:

How are you and the buns?

I can see your point. Some small animals go really peacefully but I cannot stand the thought of a needle into the heart :( some of them react really badly and their last moments on earth should not be like that :(

xxx

are you saying then depending on how much we can afford effects on how our pets are put to sleep ? are owners given an option on how its done ?

Where I work, the owners are not given an option :shock:

And, yes, unfortunately, money comes into it (I do NOT agree with that by the way!) x

fine :D all fruitloops as norm i put vids up of doc beth carrie an biggles took 3 hours to put up 4 30sec vids:evil: got to get some nice piccies of linus an frosty now, linus is the one who come on leaps loveeeeeees grandmas garden

Where I work, the owners are not given an option :shock:

And, yes, unfortunately, money comes into it (I do NOT agree with that by the way!) x

thats quite sad really you get an really old person in who is on a budget there pet on their last moments mmmmmm doesnt bare thinking of really

just remembered one of my ole neighbours had his lab put to sleep he spent a fortune on various ailments and medicines she lasted a few more years but it got to the point of no return, 90 pounds he paid to put her to sleep and thats not with disposal (not trying to sound harsh ) he cremated her himself an scattered ashes in his garden under her fav tree, he was offered by his mate to do it the bullet way but he said he felt as she had a bad start in life he thought this way would be better and more peacefull so it does depend on how you feel at the time too i suppose

Last edited:
Our vet injects into vein in ear..usually very quick and buns know nothing about it other than a small jab(tried to type pr*ck here but filter blanked it!) as with any injection
Injecting a bun into heart or liver seems barbaric and outdated to me:(
I find with this the main thing is for owner/rescuer to stay with the animal and keep calm
The main stress for bunnies when being PTS is often casued by a stressed/upset owner..if you can stay calm and talk to them and stroke them while its being done it makes such a huge difference
To add..I keep calm during but then cry my eyes out afterwards:cry:

Our vet injects into vein in ear..usually very quick and buns know nothing about it other than a small jab(tried to type pr*ck here but filter blanked it!) as with any injection
Injecting a bun into heart or liver seems barbaric and outdated to me:(I find with this the main thing is for owner/rescuer to stay with the animal and keep calm
The main stress for bunnies when being PTS is often casued by a stressed/upset owner..if you can stay calm and talk to them and stroke them while its being done it makes such a huge difference
To add..I keep calm during but then cry my eyes out afterwards:cry:

I agree with this completely Jill. Infact, I agree with everything you just wrote.

It really saddens me that some vets opt for the cheapest, easiest option. I will gently suggest injecting into the ear.

What is your experience with putting Guinea Pigs to sleep...how has it been done?

Back