• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping buns cool?

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Just wondering if I'm doing enough to keep the buns/guinea pigs cool. I took the girls out of their hutch and into the playpen. I covered it with a towel (on top) to create more shade, lay down a damp towel for them to lie on, and put some ice cubes in a bowl for them to lick and stuff. And re-freshed all their waters every so often during the day to make sure it was still cold.
With the ones in the shed did the ice cube thing again in their bowls, and kept the shed door open to let some breeze in. They seem content enough and the heat is dying down now but just wondering are the any other tips to keep animals cool in the summer? :wave:

Reading your post gave me an idea. I washed an empty milk bottle out, 3/4 filled it with cold water and put it in the freezer. I'm going to stick it in their run tomorrow so that they can snuggle up next to it if it gets too hot for them. The run is covered, so normally they're okay, but it's been so muggy and sticky here. I didn't want to use the regular ice packs because I was worried that if they chewed them, the fluid inside might be harmful. This way, if they chew the bottle, it doesn't matter because it's only water inside.

I agree about the squash bottles my buns are snuggled up against them now. Edited to say make sure you wrap the bottles in a towel to prevent ice burn.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that putting ice cubes in water for them to drink is a good idea :? I'm sure I read somewhere that it can upset their tummies if it is too cold. I don't think it really matters how cold the water is as long as they have access to plenty to keep themselves hydrated :)

I'm not sure that putting ice cubes in water for them to drink is a good idea :? I'm sure I read somewhere that it can upset their tummies if it is too cold. I don't think it really matters how cold the water is as long as they have access to plenty to keep themselves hydrated :)

Okay thanks everyone :) The ice wasn't in with their water just in their bowls, but it melted pretty quickly anyways

I know this is true for humans and horses so it's probably true for buns!

Back