• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO poppymoon and anyone else with single housebuns

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

I was just wondering if everyone else's single buns seem happy on their own. OH and I have decided we can't get a lady bun til I start my new job in September, as we can barely pay bills, let alone have an emergency vet fund for two buns.

Beau just seems to stay in one place all the time. We've got a lot of laminate flooring so he can't really scat about and binky :( we try to get round this by letting him go in the bedroom (carpeted) and there's a rug under his pen and across the lounge floor. When he's in his cage he mainly sits or flops in one corner, and we let him out he normally goes to his favourite places and sits/flops. He's got a carrot tree, a rattle, a hay tube, two balls (one wood, one loofah) a crate full of soil and grass, but apart from chewing them occassionally he doesn't seem to pay them any attention :(

I would like some ideas for how to cheer him up/get him more active til we can get him a girly bun!

Tinkerbell was a freerange house rabbit before we bonded her with Simba and again after he died.

She used to have a mad half hour in the morning but the rest of the time she was usually snoozing under the table! She also used to go outside but again used to have a bit of a run around and then sleep!

Boris appears to be pretty happy on his own,but just like your bunny he really doesn't do that much when he's out and about. He tends to just sit on his favourite spot,come up to me occasionally when he wants a fuss and sometimes even do some mad runs and binkies :) Then for no obvious reason he'll go and hide under the sofa and spend the rest of the evening there :? Scares the **** out of me when I actually manage to forget that he's there and he decides to nip my ankles when I watch telly! :shock::lol: Seriously though..I do think he would be a lot happier with a bunny friend.

Bella is a single house bun who doesn't stay still for more than 2 minutes! She's always up to something :lol: She likes climbing on the dining room chairs, sitting on the coffee table, hogging the sofa to herself, she's a little diva.

I try to keep her entertained by changing her toys around regularly - hiding one for a few weeks and reintroducing it in Bella's eyes mean new toy! Though her favourite 'toy' at the minute is the cardboard outer from a pot of hummous!

Lots of boxes and places she can go exploring. There is currently a 'fort' in my kitchen involving a couple of upturned chairs and a clothes airer on its side all covered with a sheet :lol::lol: she's been having fun all day going in and out of there.

Hiding food around the place as well. She doesn't have a set place to eat (except for hay) so she's always on the sniff trying to find where her food is!

We're hoping to move in a couple of months and if we can find somewhere bigger to rent we are definately considering finding a big strapping lad for her :love:

Mine's a single free range house bun. He was just too ill all the time until he was about 2 to consider the plum fairy. We have a routine of prime time in the am & bed time together with free range runs in the garden & play time pm.
Likes to be in the same room as me the rest of the time - loves it if I tidy out a cupboard he can reach, or "file" papers on the floor, dig holes in the garden, & especially visitors. He's never played with bunny toys - enjoyed cat toys, especially elastic. Once he'd worked out everything that could be done with them he lost interest!
Well he's very active if it's not hot, communicates what he'd like very effectively, & "purrs" as soon as I start to stroke him. I think we live together contentedly. I agonized over a companion bunny. He is unbelievably jealous if I give another animal attention. As I'm retired & at home now, - don't go away - I think it suits in those circumstances. There IS the sense of responsibility that I'm his "bonded partner" - but as I'm over the moon with him, there's no big sacrifice.

hiya - only just got to this new thread - forum mega busy!!!!

eric seems very happy on his own so far - but i have no option at the moment for him to have a friend.

i'm not at work tho so i spend a lot of time with him. he binkies like a head case at times - usually in a morning and at night - but does spend most afternoons snoozing full stretch on the rug or behind the table.

as he's totally free-range now he's still really excited by the fact that he can climb stairs. he has lots of toys etc but the things he loves most are the cardboard tunnels i made so he can run full pelt thro them or eat them.

all i can say is eric seems very content - but i'm with him a lot so i'm not sure what he'd be like if he was alone:? (yes, i admit i spend way too much time on the floor at eric level and have mastered the human binky:oops:).

just a thought - eric loves to dig at the moment. i grow seed trays of bunny greens (seeds from the hay experts), place them on a towel after a few days and he munches and digs galore.

may get beau excited? bit messy but hey ho - you got laminate floors:D cardboard box full of hay too with holes cut in for him to play hide and seek - eric loves that but if i forget he's hiding he charges at me and nudges for a nose rub:lol:

have mastered the human binky:oops:).

:shock: I'm not even gonna ask!

I'm the same, a partner for Beau isn't an option et the moment (definitely getting one in September though) but thats cos I'm unemployed til then so we are skint, but also means I'm home with him a lot of the time. I don't get how to interact with him tho, I mean I can stroke him and give him toys but I pretty much leave him to it. How do you interact with eric?

ps. Beau is currently having a mad scat which is really funny cos there isnt much room and we have laminate flooring!!

just a thought - eric loves to dig at the moment. i grow seed trays of bunny greens (seeds from the hay experts), place them on a towel after a few days and he munches and digs galore.

may get beau excited? bit messy but hey ho - you got laminate floors:D cardboard box full of hay too with holes cut in for him to play hide and seek - eric loves that but if i forget he's hiding he charges at me and nudges for a nose rub:lol:

He's got a crate of soil with grass that iv grown, he wasnt really interested. I gave him a box with hay and treats in, again wasnt interested :?

my 3 are all single house buns, they seem ok but im not gonna leave them alone as i definatly think lola and cookie will benifit from a partner, tho charlie seems fine :p

:shock: I'm not even gonna ask!

I'm the same, a partner for Beau isn't an option et the moment (definitely getting one in September though) but thats cos I'm unemployed til then so we are skint, but also means I'm home with him a lot of the time. I don't get how to interact with him tho, I mean I can stroke him and give him toys but I pretty much leave him to it. How do you interact with eric?

ps. Beau is currently having a mad scat which is really funny cos there isnt much room and we have laminate flooring!!

hmmmm. how do i interract with eric? difficult to answer! i can equate it to the way i dealt with my son when he was little. never had anything to do with kids before so i put myself in his shoes (so to speak) and tried to remember the basic fun and interesting things without all the adult learned behaviour getting in the way. i spend a lot of time just watching eric and interract in his way (but i have NOT copied his very very naughty behaviour from yesterday of which i have photographic evidence!!!).

gawd i sound even more crazy now:oops::lol: good job i don't care what anyone thinks these days:D

not long til you can get beau a buddy then - try not to get too stressed about him being bored for another few weeks.

x
i find that daft things like moving stuff around intrigues eric but like a child, his attention span is pretty short - unless he's up to mischief:roll:

Fudge is a single house bun and i spend as much time with her as i possibly can but she needs a friend!

She, like your Beau, has a favorite place and spends most of her time there and doesnt really interact with her boxes, grass trays, toys etc. She comes to me when she wants cuddles and is only interested in food but since shes been spayed she has been binkying more and flopping more so i hope shes happy :)

Ive been looking for a friend but she has sore hocks at the minute so im geting that sorted and then hopefully will get her a friend soon:)

Fudge likes our snuggle time:) I get my fluffy blanket and pillows and i lie on the floor with the blanket over me and she comes under with me and flops, digs and does little binkies :love:
We are there for about 1hour and a half before she gets bored and flops in her spot :D

I have a single housebun and she seems very happy on her own. She usually snoozes during the day and sits/flops about in a chosen spot of her pen but she is very active in the morning and also in the evening when we let her out. Normally during the day if we open her pen to let her out she just stays in it. When she is active she is always throwing tubes and her food bowl about. She binkys a lot and is very inquisitive and cheeky. She likes to climb too. Always climbing and jumping onto the sofa and tries to get up into our bookshelves lol! We have to move her away from the books though as she loves chewing them. She's always chewing and we always have to replace the cardboard box we keep in her pen as she always chews a big hole in the side of it. She spends a lot of the time sitting on top of the cardboard box too! She's very funny and entertaining. But I think she likes to think she is boss and I think she would be hard to bond with another. I think she would be very jealous if there was another bun getting some attention :roll:

Always climbing and jumping onto the sofa and tries to get up into our bookshelves lol! We have to move her away from the books though as she loves chewing them.

Yep, last time we went to my parents Beau left in disgrace, having ripped huge chunks of the dust jackets of 3 of my dad's books :roll:

Ok, well it's generally sounding like I have nothing to worry about. It's only 8 nweeks til we can't start looking for a girly I suppose. I just want to see him happy, he's my baby :love:

he is happy - he has you at his beck and call:lol: are you going to take him somewhere for bonding? i think if i'm in the position eric can have a friend, i'll look for a rescue that does bonding as he's thoroughly spoilt and i'm not sure how well he'd take to another rabbit being around:roll:

mind you, house is big enough for 2 single buns.........:shock: hope OH doesn't read this!!!!

have found camera cable:D

he is happy - he has you at his beck and call:lol: are you going to take him somewhere for bonding? i think if i'm in the position eric can have a friend, i'll look for a rescue that does bonding as he's thoroughly spoilt and i'm not sure how well he'd take to another rabbit being around:roll:

mind you, house is big enough for 2 single buns.........:shock: hope OH doesn't read this!!!!

have found camera cable:D

Yep, we tried bonding Beau ourselves and it didn't work, so we'll defo be asking a kindly rescue to bond next time :D

Now that youve got the cable.... PICCIES PICCIES PICCIES :evil:

Barnsley is an only house bun, because of his chronic snuffles,he may well be for the rest of his life (unless we win the lotto, then we're going to open a bunny sanctuary called "snuffles, sneezes and beyond" to cater for all the snotty bunnies in this world!)

he likes to lounge alot, fave toys are chill 'n' chew mats from hay experts, wedge a corner under the sofa to give a bit of resistance and he loves it!! he also loves loo roll tubes and the six foot plastic soil pipe behind the sofa - good for digging and hiding!!

he's slightly obsessed with the dust-pan and brush, maily the pan, always willing and eager to help mummy in any sweeping!!

i worry daily about whether he is happy, some days, if he dosn't binkie or give me kisses, i'm ready to phone the vet. but like humans, buns have their "off days" and he usually bounces back, i don't think the hot weather helps, i feel lazy and sluggish!!

when i see him eating, drinking, weeing and pooing as normal and he lies with back legs stretched out or does his flirty-tart happy flop i know he's a very chilled-out bun, and that makes everything right in the world!!

emily xx

when i see him eating, drinking, weeing and pooing as normal and he lies with back legs stretched out or does his flirty-tart happy flop i know he's a very chilled-out bun, and that makes everything right in the world!!

:lol: Beau does that! belly up, legs akimbo! :love:

Back