• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How effective is a mxyi vaccine if all given subcut..NOW what do I do..

charlie82

Mama Doe
I'm so annoyed. I went with four rabbits to get vaccinated, saw another foreign vet who seemed to know nothing about them, and she didn't give any of the vaccination intradermally. :(

First she tried to vaccinate George but went through the other side of the skin so the vaccine went all over him, I noticed she hadn't tried to give any intradermally so mentioned that she should. Did ALL of them subcutaneously.

I was just talking about this yesterday to the other vet I saw, as she did it correctly and I mentioned how some vets don't after my fiasco with a different practice.

How effective will the vaccine be.... I hope george is ok because he's had one and a part of another. :?

Oh... and she didn't know what pinworm were :?

Awww sorry you had such a bad time of it. I dont know the answer to your question but I wanted to make sure you complained to the vet and refused to make full payment. It is the only way to make sure they improve training in the future.

Awww sorry you had such a bad time of it. I dont know the answer to your question but I wanted to make sure you complained to the vet and refused to make full payment. It is the only way to make sure they improve training in the future.

I didn't complain because I was so frustrated and i'm not good at making a fuss :oops: I'm going to ring them now though....

They are trying to fob me off :?

The nurse just told me that's how they give their mxyi jabs... I told her that's not true because the vet yesterday managed to give them correctly.

Waiting for vet to call me back... does anyone know if it would be ok to give the 10% part tomorrow or does it have to be today...

They are trying to fob me off :?

The nurse just told me that's how they give their mxyi jabs... I told her that's not true because the vet yesterday managed to give them correctly.

Waiting for vet to call me back... does anyone know if it would be ok to give the 10% part tomorrow or does it have to be today...

Tomorrow will be fine I think :?

The Vet may have done the intradermal bit in the scruff, it is possible to do so.
If they continue to argue with you ask them to refer to the Vaccine Data Information Sheet where it clearly states how it should be administered

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Thanks Jane, after she did the first vaccine (the one that went everywhere) I watched her and was holding the bunnies... My own vet is very good at doing them in the scruff, as was the vet yesterday, the vet today literally just gave it all in and then withdrew the needle completely.

I mentioned twice about the intradermal part and tried to bring it into conversation by saying how it wasn't the easiest injection to give, and she agreed with me...then continued to do them all the same way!

I'm really confused now, I spoke with my usual vets office and she said that the vaccine was rendered useless without the intradermal part. So I don't know whether they just need the intradermal part, or the whole thing :? I know the vets are just going to try and fob me off, but I'm going to print out the intervet data sheet and take it in. If they won't do it properly I'll ask for my money back. I only took them there instead of my usual vet as it's just along the road and I thought it would be better for the rabbits to avoid the longer car journey.:(

Maybe she did. Watching ours they do it propperly but the dermis layer is so thin that they do it on the withdrawal phase and it can be hard as it only takes the smallest movement to take it into the dermis.

I would double check though as if it is done that way, it is for a reason and so non dermis injection would make the vaccination a lot less effective surely?

Maybe she did. Watching ours they do it propperly but the dermis layer is so thin that they do it on the withdrawal phase and it can be hard as it only takes the smallest movement to take it into the dermis.

I would double check though as if it is done that way, it is for a reason and so non dermis injection would make the vaccination a lot less effective surely?

Yes, it's very obvious when they do it properly, as it takes effort and care to make sure it has been done in the dermis layer. This was done the same way I would give an injection subcut. there was no pause or slow withdrawal of the needle. :)

Vets hey!.... Maybe it would be diff if they were paid on performance and customer perceived quality.

I think some places would soon go bust by the sounds. We are very lucky to have bun savvy Vets. Even if they dont know answer to questions they ask they will drag the books out and try or just be honest and advise

I know!

This lady was lovely to be honest, she just obviously had no experience of rabbits... and I don't think she has been qualified for very long. She told me that she was from Portugal and people didn't really keep rabbits there.... well, not for pet purposes anyway!!!!!

Nurse just called me back after speaking with vet....who said she did give part intradermally. She said they normally do this after giving the sub cut part. I KNOW that, and i've seen lots of vets do it. I know what I saw, the vet pushed the whole lot in sub cut until there was nothing left in the syringe and took it out. There was absolutely no point at which she withdrew a little bit to put some into the skin. I can't argue with them because they are going to take her word for it :?

Back