• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home check wait

Rosey

Young Bun
Hi :)

I was just wondering if its usual to have a wait for a home check? Please excuse my ignorance but its our first dealing with a rescue center, and after falling in love with a lovley rescue bunny, we put down a deposit, gave all our details and now I have been waiting for the phone to ring (I keep checking incase I have missed the call lol)

Anyway this was 4 days ago now and still nothing, I did give them a call today just to see if I had the process right, they didnt take my name or anything but just said with homechecks the person doing the check would be in touch.

Is it me just being impaitent lol :oops:;)

Different rescues have different policies but it is usual to have to wait at least some time. Did they let you know exactly what their requirements are so you can make sure you have what they are checking for?

Running a rescue can be hectic - cleaning cages, running to and from the vet, checking buns every few hours, topping water bottles up every few hours. Phones generally have a period each day when they don't stop ringing. Pretty much- there is always something that needs to be done!! If you have not heard anything after a week, i would call and ask for the number of the homechecker to arrange a day and time direct.

Also remember that the home visitor will be a volunteer, and so it will have to fit in around whatever is going on for him/her.

I do home visits and always try to call the day the centre gives me the info.

Just be patient. If you've not heard in a week from now, call back, or maybe go back and see your bun and ask then.

No I was not told what they need or any requirements, so I am a little in the dark, but hopefully my set up is good enough. I will give myself a slap on the wrist and know she is worth waiting for lol

Rosey x

Maybe you could describe your set-up to us so we could give you a bit of a heads-up before the visit. You will probably get asked about what sort of food, bedding, how much and type of hay you will be offering and possibly how much free ranging time your buns are going to get.

And also who will look after them when you go away. Which rescue did you go to? If it is PACT I know what they look for roughly.

And also who will look after them when you go away. Which rescue did you go to? If it is PACT I know what they look for roughly.

Oooh, forgot that 1 as it's on the form you have to fill in before you even reserve any animals where I volunteer. Good question though.

Thanks, yes that would help if you don't mind :)

I have 2 hutches..

http://www.petsathome.com/find/cate...-rabbit/category-is-6C+Cages/product-is-22474

and a second which is just one level, so I have somewhere seperate to make time for bonding.

George does have a lot of free run of the garden which is secure and rabbit safe, and he has a few hours a day of free run of the garden, also I have a run which bubby made which we can attach to the hutch or put into the middle of the grass, I have a hole in the top and in the ground where I put a garden table unbrella to shade him from the sun. In totaly I would say he is outside the hutch or has the door open into the run from 7am to at least 7pm sometimes later.

The run is 6ft wide, 4 and a half tall (with cover) and 4ft long.

He has a hay pile in his sleeping area as he likes to nibble while lazing, 2 hay baskets which hang on the inside doors but I move one of these onto the run when he is in it.

He loves his tunnel and tent, and has various rabbit toys but a new cardboard box is his favorite. A water bottle upstairs on his hutch and also downstairs and in the run water bowls. He loves carrots and cauliflower leaves.

The food side I am unsure of and need a little help with, I have heard lots of speak about pellets, and I am just using a rabbit food, seeds, dried fruit etc in it, so any advice on that would be great please.

So what do you think... what can I change or need to look into?

x

Last edited:
Hi :)

Just to add, I only filled in my contact details, but maybe the home checker will ask that question :)

My next door neighbour who loves my rabbit as much as me looks after George when I am away and luckly my parents only live 5 minutes away too, so if we go away George stays here and they stay to look after him, that way he is still in suroundings he knows.
x

Hutch is absolutely perfect and seems like you are doing a great job. Rabbit muesli really isn't good so try and get some science selective or Allen and Page as it's much better for their teeth. the only other issue my be the size of your run. The RSPCA say that size is fine but the shelter I volunteer at would fail you for having a run of that size as the main area (less than 10 hours a day outside the run) of exercise but your shelter may think it is big enough. I would call to check just in case if I were you. All sounds perferct apart from thise 2 little things.

I will definatly look into the food then, I am going into town this week and I will get some pellets. Also do you think more free time in the garden then?

x

If you are using bird seeds that is a no no, as millet can cause blockages leading to statis.

Where in Norfolk are you? You should try to get get to a horse food supplier that sells other pet bits and ask for allen and page rabbit pellets. I know of lots of place that sell it in Norfolk or somethign quite similar.

You place sounds fine BTW. :)

omg no its not bird seed lol It is rabbit food but not the pellet type :)

I am about 6 miles up the coast from Great yarmouth. We went to the F.A.I.T.H rescue center.

x

I will definatly look into the food then, I am going into town this week and I will get some pellets. Also do you think more free time in the garden then?

x

It completely depends on the rescue and the fox situation in your area. I don't have a fox problem so mine are free range from the time i get up until it starts to get dark (other will disagree with me on this) and then I put them in their shed and run set-up at night for a little more protection. It is completely upto you and your individual situation. If you can let them out for longer safely then I personally would but if you think it is risky then don't.

Thats ok then, had visions of throwing in bird seed for George :lol: :shock: :oops:

Must be nice on the coast today, I'm only 9 miles from Hunstanton, We have a lovely breeze blowing through the house.

Thanks Rhian :) Thankfully we don't have a problem with foxes here at all, and I am at home all day so I will give him more time out in the garden, we also have lots of hiding places he likes, under our shed, and under the BBQ cover.

One reason I don't keep him out at night, and I don't know if its a silly thing or something to be wary of but we do have owls, and we once had one swoop down on george late evening, so since then I have always kept him inside his hutch of a night, he is only a small rabbit and I have no idea if the owl was just toying with him or weather it could cause a threat?

lotsofsmoggies... it's been misty and foggy here most of the day :( I was hoping to get all my washing out but its so damp outside, downside of living a few minutes from the sea lol

:) x

Right, checked their website http://www.faithanimalrescue.co.uk/ and they don't seem to have what they require just that hutches must be 6 inches off the ground and wire used for hutches and runs shouldn't be chicken wire in the "bunny care" section so it might be worth a read. They do however say that you should use wood shavings as bedding. Many people do not agree with this as it can be dusty and give off carcinogenic phenols so beware of that one. I can't tell you what to do it's just something with bearing in mind so you can research it yourself and make up your own mind. Good luck with the home check. I think you will pass with flying colours just didn't want you to be asked a question and get stumped as I think you will give your buns an amazing home.

Thanks I really appriciate all the help and advice. I do use a small amount of wood shavings upstairs, but the downstairs floor we covered in a wipe over lino, much easier to clean and its nice and cool for him to lie on too.

Well fingers crossed and I will let you all know how it goes when I get my visit. :)

x

Back