• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I spray the buns to keep them cool?

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
I love the sun Sooooooo much but I know its not great for bunnies so I'm thinking about ways to keep them cool.
Yesterday when I was watering the plans the kids were loving jumping throught the spray when it was on a real fine mist setting some of it was falling into the bunny run and I noticed Gwen and Ben were both seeming to enjoy it as they certainly werent moving out of the way! Is this ok to do ?
Thanks

Yeh so long as they aren't ringing wet :lol: They will probably enjoy their ears being sprayed with water :) If they enjoyed that, try wetting a towel and putting it in with them, they might enjoy lying on the cool wet towel :)

Last edited:
I read that as "spay" I was :shock::roll::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah - mine get sprayed - well some of them. Smirnoff hates it:lol:

Just bear in mind you might severely offend some rabbits if you 'water' them. I did. Candyfloss took off bucking like a bronco to get the water off her, which obviosuly had the opposite effect.

Be prepared for bunny butts too if they don't like it, and lots of glares.

Of course, mine might just be strange, I hear many other rabbits actually like it.

Fur works as insulation to keep heat out as well as in, so don't soak the bun. A misting on the surface (not enough to flatten the fur) or on the ears/belly may help though as it mimics human sweating, to let heat be taken away by evaporation

if they dont take to it keep a bucket of luke warm water and a flannel handy,,i just run it over them as if im stroking them,,,they dont seem to mind this,,

I have a plant aerosol just for Thumps, tepid water, & spray from a distance so it just settles on him (not forced into his coat). He doesn't hop away, so it mustn't disturb him.

I have a plant aerosol just for Thumps, tepid water, & spray from a distance so it just settles on him (not forced into his coat). He doesn't hop away, so it mustn't disturb him.

Yep same here, do it from quite high above and it just settles on them and they tend not to run away. Sometimes they seem to quite like it :D Other times I might be watering the garden....then 'oops' happen to mist them by mistake with the hose....:lol: on purpose :oops: and then feel guilty that they are slightly damper than I intended! But on a very hot day it helps. Always best to just mist ears/back, not get whole fur or under fur wet at all.

You could always keep a couple of bottles with frozen water near the buns so they can lounge against them if they are getting too hot :)

Back