• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Easiest way of keeping bunnies clean....

abcdefg

Young Bun
I have a lovely big new hutch with run coming for my baby mini lops this weekend.

At the moment they are in a 3ft with small run underneath. Anyway, I cant believe the amount of poo 2 babies can produce in a few days :shock:

I would love to get them to go in a bunny litter tray - the corner type from pets at home. has anyone done this successfully. If so where is the best place to put it?

Hutch has enclosures either side with middle bit with ladder down to 5ft x 5ft run.

Also, is this a crazy idea or would buying something like a rechargeable dirt devil be a good idea for a daily hoovering up of dry poo and debris in the run?

Litter training is really easy with bunnies, they virtually do it themselves! Just put some soiled beddin into the tray to begin with and place it the corner the rabbits have chosen and they should start to use it. The litter tray will need cleaning daily as bunnies are fussy and if it's dirty they just won't use it. I always add some wet bedding to it for the first few weeks to make sure they have 100% got the idea.

Also rechargeable dirt devil - Genius idea!!:lol::lol:

Litter training is really easy with bunnies, they virtually do it themselves! Just put some soiled beddin into the tray to begin with and place it the corner the rabbits have chosen and they should start to use it. The litter tray will need cleaning daily as bunnies are fussy and if it's dirty they just won't use it. I always add some wet bedding to it for the first few weeks to make sure they have 100% got the idea.

Is it best to put the litter tray in the hutch or the run?

I put a small kitten litter tray in their small hutch where they pood and put some poo in it but they just ignored it and pooped next to it ;)

Might take them a few days to get used to it. Try putting all loose droppings into it so the rest of the bedding is spotless. I'd put it in the hutch personally but thats just for my buns, yours might actually prefer it in the run but that would only work if they can get to the run 24/7

I thought exactly the same thing, and with me having house buns could really do with one the mess they make with their beloved hay cookies the little tinkers.

I was lucky my mini lops were litter trained at the breeders and have been absolutly perfect since the day they come home. They wee in their tray every single time but I do find poops all over the place but they are easy to pick up so that's not a problem. I use a corner litter tray in their cage and a cat litter tray on the floor & to begin with I put tissues with mess on in the trays to remind them where to go as they were in a new place but they used it anyway. I use wood pellet cat litter in my trays with a bit of hay on the top to encourage them to nibble on it and poop in the trays

I have a lovely big new hutch with run coming for my baby mini lops this weekend.

At the moment they are in a 3ft with small run underneath. Anyway, I cant believe the amount of poo 2 babies can produce in a few days :shock:

I would love to get them to go in a bunny litter tray - the corner type from pets at home. has anyone done this successfully. If so where is the best place to put it?

Hutch has enclosures either side with middle bit with ladder down to 5ft x 5ft run.

Also, is this a crazy idea or would buying something like a rechargeable dirt devil be a good idea for a daily hoovering up of dry poo and debris in the run?

I don't know how much the litter trays are from PaH, but if you're looking for a cheaper option, I use two plastic grit trays (seed trays without the drainage holes), which were about 70 pence each from Wilko's. You'll need to put newspaper high up the side of one side, so they don't wee off the edge of it. And then add whatever else you're thinking of putting in the litter tray - I use straw so the wee runs off it, whereas hay absorbs moisture. Be wary of using wood shavings - if they're from cedar trees they can cause liver damage.
This has worked fine for me over the past 6 months.

I don't know how much the litter trays are from PaH, but if you're looking for a cheaper option, I use two plastic grit trays (seed trays without the drainage holes), which were about 70 pence each from Wilko's. You'll need to put newspaper high up the side of one side, so they don't wee off the edge of it. And then add whatever else you're thinking of putting in the litter tray - I use straw so the wee runs off it, whereas hay absorbs moisture. Be wary of using wood shavings - if they're from cedar trees they can cause liver damage.
This has worked fine for me over the past 6 months.

I see you can buy special rabbit litter. Does this encourage them to go in box?

Might take them a few days to get used to it. Try putting all loose droppings into it so the rest of the bedding is spotless. I'd put it in the hutch personally but thats just for my buns, yours might actually prefer it in the run but that would only work if they can get to the run 24/7

Yep, ladder down to run.

Back