• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur 10% - Dosage per weight of bun needed

Rykat

Mama Doe
Please can anyone help me with working out the doseage of Panacur 10% for my 8 buns? My little Nethie (Bunicula) developed a very bad head tilt on Sunday night, I dosed her with Baytril/Metacam and Panacur. The vets have given her a steroid injection and although we agree it may be bloody EC, we're hoping it's not but I'm going to treat all 8 buns with Panacur for 28 days just to be sure.

I weighed them all last night and tried to calculate the dose working on 0.2ml per kg, could someone who is good at maths please check the dose for me?

Thanks guys.

Harvey (3.8 kg) = 0.8 ml Panacur
Zander (4.2 kg) = 0.8 ml " "
Willow (4.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " "
May (5.4 kg) = 1.0 ml " "
Bunicula (3.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " "
Dylan (3.8 kg) = 0.8 ml " "
Opal (4.6 kg) = 0.8 ml " "
Benji (3.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " "

I usually round the dose up to the nearest ml :

Harvey (3.8 kg) = 0.8 ml Panacur 0.76ml
Zander (4.2 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.84ml
Willow (4.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.88ml
May (5.4 kg) = 1.0 ml " " 1.08ml
Bunicula (3.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.68ml
Dylan (3.8 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.76ml
Opal (4.6 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.92ml
Benji (3.4 kg) = 0.8 ml " " 0.68ml

Also dont forget the importance of bleach cleaning their environment on days 21 and 28 of treatment

I hope your poorly Bun recovers well :)

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks Jane :)

I had forgotten about the bleaching, thanks for the reminder!

They are all indoor buns and have dog crates with run attached 24/7, with free time outside when I can for individual "play time", should I try to do the floor/crates as well?

What syringes do you use for the accurate measuring? I use the 1ml (0.2ml increments) but can't get an accurate dose for say a 0.88ml/0.92ml!

Thanks for your thoughts for Bunicula. She's a lovely bunny, they are are special to me, but I always feel a bit more of a tug when they have overcome a bad start. Bunicula and her partner Dylan came to me 3 years ago from a "rescue" that was being closed down, they lived in a tiny hutch, had overgrown nails and she was aggressive. She's such a little sweety now.

Brilliant, thanks Jane :)

I had forgotten about the bleaching, thanks for the reminder!

They are all indoor buns and have dog crates with run attached 24/7, with free time outside when I can for individual "play time", should I try to do the floor/crates as well?

What syringes do you use for the accurate measuring? I use the 1ml (0.2ml increments) but can't get an accurate dose for say a 0.88ml/0.92ml!

Thanks for your thoughts for Bunicula. She's a lovely bunny, they are are special to me, but I always feel a bit more of a tug when they have overcome a bad start. Bunicula and her partner Dylan came to me 3 years ago from a "rescue" that was being closed down, they lived in a tiny hutch, had overgrown nails and she was aggressive. She's such a little sweety now.

I use a 1ml syringe too so I would just 'round up' the 0.88ml dose to 0.9ml and the 0.92ml dose to about 0.95ml.

Anywhere that the Buns have access to really needs the bleach cleaning to try to minimise re-ingestion of EC spores.

Bunicula sounds like a lovely little Bun and I do hope that she will get over this recent hurdle.

I use a 1ml syringe too so I would just 'round up' the 0.88ml dose to 0.9ml and the 0.92ml dose to about 0.95ml.

Anywhere that the Buns have access to really needs the bleach cleaning to try to minimise re-ingestion of EC spores.

Bunicula sounds like a lovely little Bun and I do hope that she will get over this recent hurdle.

Thanks for the help :) Have a stash of 1ml syringes (as most of us do!) and have now got used to the measures.

Bunicula has had another steroid injection, this is her third (every other day) and our vet wants to see how she is over the weekend to determine if she needs them next week.

All bar one of the buns are hating the ngihtly ritual, they won't have treats, they won't eat it on anything so I'm doing the trusted "bunny burrito" approach. The 1 bun who doesn't mind is Opal, she see's your hand coming towards her, assumes it's food and opens mouth ready, she takes treat straight after!

Bunicula had a bad turn last night, took her a couple of minutes to right herself (with a little help) but she's still alert and so far not keeping clean.

I'm doing a "sanitise" blitz the weekend on their living area and moving her away from the others (she has a partner with her).

Sorry, have waffled as usual, thanks again for your help with the doses :)

Back