• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

heat and op...advice please

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric is booked in for his op on wednesday and he'll be having a tooth filed too. bit worried about whether to rearrange it tho as i'm not sure whether this extreme heat would have an adverse effect? he seems ok at the moment - i made him move away from his fave sunny spot as he was breathing too fast for my liking. he wasn't happy when i woke him up by spraying his ears with water:oops: sorry eric, i was worried. didn't realise you were just having a nap:roll: having a snack now tho.

would you guys wait a while for the op or go ahead? (i'll still take him in to get his teeth checked tho and obviously they will have to be done wednesday if needed).

Maybe you could ask the vet if he/she could cool the room down (i.e a fan?) as well as keeping it hygienic:p:p:p:p:p?

i was thinking more about the stress of being hot pre and post op, possibly making him feel less than 100% without the added pressure of a trip to the vets and a ga.

just giving this a bump as i'd still appreciate some advice (castration booked for tomorrow).

thanks

Have you asked the vet for their opinion? If its as hot as it was yesterday I think I'd probably give it a miss unless the teeth really need doing. It's much cooler today so would be better. Trouble is whenever it's done it's going to be stressfull.

my vet isn't in until tomorrow and eric's due in at 8.30.

i've had a think and phoned to reschedule it (14th july now). having a gut instinct that now isn't the time would have stressed me out, never mind eric:roll:

it is cooler today but forecast for here tomorrow is silly degrees and as it would be 2 journeys thro centre of town during rush hour, i'd rather wait until we're back to the usual british weather to minimise stress for him - yesterday's 60 mile trip to bring edgar pig home was bad enough:(

his teeth don't seem to be causing any problems at present so hopefully i have done the right thing in waiting:? i'll keep watching his eating patterns and whip him over there if the teeth seem to cause any changes.

I completely agree with your decision, if you hadn't gone with your gut and something *had* gone wrong you would never have forgiven yourself!

That said I was really looking forward to thursday when it would all be over with and I'd know my special boy was ok :D

my vet isn't in until tomorrow and eric's due in at 8.30.

i've had a think and phoned to reschedule it (14th july now). having a gut instinct that now isn't the time would have stressed me out, never mind eric:roll:

it is cooler today but forecast for here tomorrow is silly degrees and as it would be 2 journeys thro centre of town during rush hour, i'd rather wait until we're back to the usual british weather to minimise stress for him - yesterday's 60 mile trip to bring edgar pig home was bad enough:(

his teeth don't seem to be causing any problems at present so hopefully i have done the right thing in waiting:? i'll keep watching his eating patterns and whip him over there if the teeth seem to cause any changes.

You have definately made the right decision, we had Zola admitted yesterday and she is staying in until at least tomorrow as they do not want to stress her by putting her in a hot carry box for the journey home. She is also in a nice air conditioned kennel there, which is better than the hot cage she would be in at home recovering :)

THANK YOU:D you've both made me feel so much more positive that i've done the right thing in rescheduling. fingers crossed his teeth will be ok for a while.

Youve done the right thing hunni, id have done the same too :)

Mind you, poor Mog is off to Wolverhampton for a dental on Thursday so hope the weather is cooler by then :? xXx

Youve done the right thing hunni, id have done the same too :)

Mind you, poor Mog is off to Wolverhampton for a dental on Thursday so hope the weather is cooler by then :? xXx

which one's mog becky? is it the big hospital in wolves? x

Back