• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run under hutch

Joh619

Alpha Buck
Hey

I currently have a hutch with a 6x4 run underneath on my garden. It's just on the grass so that the bunnies could have a bit of a nibble. However, they've eaten all the grass and most of it has just grown back as moss as my lawn is pretty pathetic. They now seem to have got bored of the moss and started digging it up. I don't mind them digging my garden, I just don't want them to dig their way out of their run when I'm not around as the garden isn't rabbit-proof and there's lots of other scary animals around.

What would be the best thing to put down underneath the run? Would having some paving be bad for their feet, or could i just buy a little bit of lino instead?

The only safe thing to use is paving, as lino wwould be easily nibbled by a bunster with escape on his mind!!:lol:

I have my hutch and run on paving slabs, we made an area of about 8 ft by 6 ft, with big slabs. I don't think it is bad for their feet, I haven't had any problems with mine. The problem with grass/moss is that foxes could dig into the run and get to the bunnies, this can't happen with heavy slabs. They are also quite easy to clean. :)

Yeah, moss isn't the best thing to try and sweep up general bedding/hay/shredded up everything from :( That's probably contributed to the grass not wanting to grow back either :lol:

I'll have a look at some paving slabs this week then, seems as though it's going to be nice weather for working outside :)

Thanks for the replies.

When I first got Leo and Lila their hutch/run combo was on the grass because we had no patio. I stapled mesh to the floor so they couldnt dig out and then covered the wire with turf. It looked great but not for long! They dug up the turf and it was almost impossible to keep clean.

Now o/h has built me a patio and we have put them on there. Its so so much better. No worrying about digging and much easier to clean. I am going to grow them some grass in trays to have in there too.

O/H has spent the last 2 wkends making the patio and we are thrilled with it.
June2009032.jpg

I would definately recommend paving.

Ooo, that looks really nice - that's the same hutch as we have too. We have a patio, but it's really small (there'd be space to put the hutch on and still open the door and get past it, but O/H wont let me put it there :().

Perhaps extend the patio to make room for the bunsters?
We're thinking of doing that, but we never really get around to it lol.

x

Hi,
I have a shed with an attached run which has paving slabs under the run however for holidays we have an 'additional' run that attaches to what we have (the shed & run) and underneath this bit, we laid a wire mesh under the grass. So if they were to dig, they wouldn't be able to get out.

Hope that helps a little
Wendy

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2488977&l=e8de504082&id=729511050
is a photo with just the shed and run - the extra run is attached just infront of the black run where the grass is a little patchy where we dug it up to lay the wire underneath - the grass soon grows back though!

Perhaps extend the patio to make room for the bunsters?
We're thinking of doing that, but we never really get around to it lol.

x

I would do but the garden is on a slope with the patio below and a wall separating them.

I bought some paving slabs tonight and put them under the run. They're not amazingly neat, but they cover the grass up. Poor bunnies didn't understand the wierd new grass though. They both crawled down the ramp, fell off and then crawled around commando style. All was forgotten once they'd had some carrot though :)

Back