• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked tear duct - elongated tooth roots

Hello
Honey has elongated tooth roots and therefore a blocked tear duct.

I am managing to keep it all under control by using eye drops and sudocreme for the sore skin under the eye and across the bridge of her nose.

Should I be taking her back to the vets for flushes? I must admit that when the vet diagnosed that it would be permanently blocked, I thought she would never have to have another flush:oops::oops:

Just thought I had better find out for the future.

Thanks

Hello
Honey has elongated tooth roots and therefore a blocked tear duct.

I am managing to keep it all under control by using eye drops and sudocreme for the sore skin under the eye and across the bridge of her nose.

Should I be taking her back to the vets for flushes? I must admit that when the vet diagnosed that it would be permanently blocked, I thought she would never have to have another flush:oops::oops:

Just thought I had better find out for the future.

Thanks

It does depend on whether there is partial or complete blockage of the duct. With partial blockage (so the duct is narrowed) repeated flushes can improve the drainage when debris accumulates and causes complete blockage. If the tooth root elongation has lead to bony complete blockage of the duct then flushing will be unsuccessful and attempts will not be of any benefit. Talk to your vets about exactly what the problem is and they should be able to advise on what the best course of action is.

It does depend on whether there is partial or complete blockage of the duct. With partial blockage (so the duct is narrowed) repeated flushes can improve the drainage when debris accumulates and causes complete blockage. If the tooth root elongation has lead to bony complete blockage of the duct then flushing will be unsuccessful and attempts will not be of any benefit. Talk to your vets about exactly what the problem is and they should be able to advise on what the best course of action is.

Thank You.
I think it is completely blocked, which is why I thought she wouldn't need it doing again, but I will call the vet and check on her condition again.

She found it terribly upsetting when she had her eye flushed 3 times in a week! And since then she hasn't liked being picked up, so I hope in some ways, she doesn;t need it flushing.

Thank You.
I think it is completely blocked, which is why I thought she wouldn't need it doing again, but I will call the vet and check on her condition again.

She found it terribly upsetting when she had her eye flushed 3 times in a week! And since then she hasn't liked being picked up, so I hope in some ways, she doesn;t need it flushing.

Oooo poor Honey

How are your buns in this heat? having trouble keeping Biscuit cool enough, her room is south facing, so ice pod, fan and windows open, curtains drawn, she is flat out most of the day poor thing, can'r wait to get home to check on her.

First I dont want/mean to scare you but please carry on reading...
We had a lot of problems with angel she end up having flushes every other day for few weeks. It would be fine then re-start long story. She had them awake then Ga to completely clear it then back to conscious. We then found our rabbit vet again who decide to make a drain when she x-rayed she saw that angels tear duct has shut down completely due to flushing, so she couldnt make channel and cant remove teeth as they are too high rooted it would mean trying to remove them through her skull.
She was better after having eye flushed as she seemed to get bad tempered when it was really gucky however the main thing we found out what totally shocked me is the next flush (or one after) would have burst her tearduct completely and the pain itself would have killed her she would have been conscious. We are NOT ALLOWED EVER to get another flush but we only found this out from an x-ray.
Im not saying this will happen but depending on how bad it is i wouldnt want you to get to the same stage we were at we only found out this nearly a year after we started flushes etc although by that point she was down to 1 every other month. Im on eyedrops also for ever although she had dental about 3 month ago and eye is only starting to run a bit now so maybes due another dental.

Oooo poor Honey

How are your buns in this heat? having trouble keeping Biscuit cool enough, her room is south facing, so ice pod, fan and windows open, curtains drawn, she is flat out most of the day poor thing, can'r wait to get home to check on her.

Hi Clare
The boys are fine. They have ice pods and they spend most of their time under the hutch in the shed (nice and cool there) They also have the shed door open and the empty hay sacks on the window for shade. Hoping it's enough for them.
Hope you're all well and biscuit is enjoying a life of luxury!!!

First I dont want/mean to scare you but please carry on reading...
We had a lot of problems with angel she end up having flushes every other day for few weeks. It would be fine then re-start long story. She had them awake then Ga to completely clear it then back to conscious. We then found our rabbit vet again who decide to make a drain when she x-rayed she saw that angels tear duct has shut down completely due to flushing, so she couldnt make channel and cant remove teeth as they are too high rooted it would mean trying to remove them through her skull.
She was better after having eye flushed as she seemed to get bad tempered when it was really gucky however the main thing we found out what totally shocked me is the next flush (or one after) would have burst her tearduct completely and the pain itself would have killed her she would have been conscious. We are NOT ALLOWED EVER to get another flush but we only found this out from an x-ray.
Im not saying this will happen but depending on how bad it is i wouldnt want you to get to the same stage we were at we only found out this nearly a year after we started flushes etc although by that point she was down to 1 every other month. Im on eyedrops also for ever although she had dental about 3 month ago and eye is only starting to run a bit now so maybes due another dental.

Thank you for your reply.
I am manging to keep Honeys eye under control. But just thought she would never need another flush.
She had 3 in a week before:
1st one they had to stop midway as the vets had an emergency in (cat had been run over) They also had to give her her VHD jab quickly. so more or less just dumped her on the table:(
So they asked me to take her back in and flushed again - no luck
then she went again under GA and they did x-rays and flushed again.

Poor little girl was so shaken up.
If I can keep it all under control, I'm hoping she won't have to have it again, but I will just call th vets to see what they think.

Oooo poor Honey

Clare, keep the windows closed during the day and curtains too - south facing rooms stay cooler with windows closed when it is REALLY hot outside. We do this in our south facing rooms and it keeps them SO much cooler. Open them up first thing and get the room cool then shut it all up. As long as Biccy's room door is open to other parts of the house she'll get plenty of ventiliation. Try it on a day you are there and you'll see what I mean :)
Chris bought the buns an air con unit at the wknd! :D Nino's breathing been a bit too fast for my liking cos he won't stop running around! I've had to shut them up all day inside to stop him overheating, far too hot outside for them today!

Clare, keep the windows closed during the day and curtains too - south facing rooms stay cooler with windows closed when it is REALLY hot outside. We do this in our south facing rooms and it keeps them SO much cooler. Open them up first thing and get the room cool then shut it all up. As long as Biccy's room door is open to other parts of the house she'll get plenty of ventiliation. Try it on a day you are there and you'll see what I mean :)
Chris bought the buns an air con unit at the wknd! :D Nino's breathing been a bit too fast for my liking cos he won't stop running around! I've had to shut them up all day inside to stop him overheating, far too hot outside for them today!

Hiya Vicky

Thanks for this, am home tomorrow and Thur so will try this.

Got home last night and swapped our curtains which are lined with Biscuits which were unlined and very light in colour. I drew them this morning and her room was lovely and cool when I left.
She didn't like me standing on a stool to do the curtains though and was constantly banging her feet.

She was running around like a mad thing this morning arghhh while I was trying to keep her cool.

xxx

Back