• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Someone Explain the P@H Adoption Centre to me Please ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I thought the idea was that the P@H Charity homed unwated Rabbits/GPs etc from the General Public or from local Rescues and that it was not acceptable for P@H unsold 'stock' to be moved into the AC when new 'stock' arrives :?

I'm pretty sure they've been moving "old stock" into it since the scheme started - the limited times I've been into a PAH I've seen mostly "I'm looking for a new home because I grew up and stopped being so cute" pets in there, and I've certainly heard of plenty of cases on RU and the other animal forums I've been on.

I think it depends on the branch.

My local branch DOES transfer old stock to the adoption pens.

They also have accidental litters in there from when they mis-sex buns they sell. I know this cos a french lop (read:dwarf lop) that someone at the stables bought had kits, & P@H took back the babies. They were in the adoption centre immediately - no quarantine period.

I'm pretty sure they've been moving "old stock" into it since the scheme started - the limited times I've been into a PAH I've seen mostly "I'm looking for a new home because I grew up and stopped being so cute" pets in there, and I've certainly heard of plenty of cases on RU and the other animal forums I've been on.

Well it is definately happening in a local Branch yet when I spoke with the AC Co-ordinator at HO she insisted this would not and should not happen.

Mind you, is it worse for the unsold 'stock' to be moved to the AC or to go back to the breeder :?

I also think this varies depending on the branch...

At my local P@H they don't often have old stock in the adoption part, but every once in a while they do...

I think it depends on the branch.

My local branch DOES transfer old stock to the adoption pens.

They also have accidental litters in there from when they mis-sex buns they sell. I know this cos a french lop (read:dwarf lop) that someone at the stables bought had kits, & P@H took back the babies. They were in the adoption centre immediately - no quarantine period.

That's awful :shock: :(

I went in there to see if I could find out what became of the bloated baby Rex that I had to call HO about a week or so ago. She was in the adoption centre as was her brother :cry:

That's awful :shock: :(

I went in there to see if I could find out what became of the bloated baby Rex that I had to call HO about a week or so ago. She was in the adoption centre as was her brother :cry:

It's not great - but they have massively improved their advice recently - I've heard people being talked out of getting buns, neutering, vacs, panacur. Their areas have improved, no gps with them anymore....it does seem to be getting better - but I still don't buy from them & would never "adopt" a bun from there either

It's not great - but they have massively improved their advice recently - I've heard people being talked out of getting buns, neutering, vacs, panacur. Their areas have improved, no gps with them anymore....it does seem to be getting better - but I still don't buy from them & would never "adopt" a bun from there either

I really wish that they would get someone decent into our local branch. It just goes from bad to worse :cry:

I reported some dead fish that were being eaten by the remaining fish. They just said it was 'OK as the live fish would not eat the dead ones if they were diseased'....................:shock:

They definitely accept unwanted litters back into their adoption centres for the smaller pets, as my hamster was a result of a surprise PAH pregnancy. The owner was told PAH would take them back and rehome them via the adoption scheme, but she wasn't willing to rehome them in that way.

I still have the email from head office re. the adoption scheme at P@H after I wrote a long complaint following the day I watched an adoption occur with NO paperwork or advice given at all....if anyone wants to read it let me know and i'll paste it in to the thread! :D
(It talks about....abandoned, rescued or sick rabbits being the buns in the adoption centres....doesn't mention old stock at all!)
I feel guilty as after my complaint (which was regarding rehoming a pair to a couple who intended on putting them with their existing rabbits - with no advice on bonding or neutering - this pair of females were not spayed!) - well after this I went back in and all the signs above the adoption rabbits read 'can not live with other rabbits - prefer to be alone as don't like other rabbits' etc... And I thought help perhaps my complaint did this? damage limitation?? :( I can't imagine one customer complaint would be enough to change practice, but I couldn't help wonder if it was intended to avoid having to address the bonding issues? From what I have read from countless experienced rescues - it is a very rare rabbit that does not enjoy rabbit company....might just take a few goes to find the right partner!

I still have the email from head office re. the adoption scheme at P@H after I wrote a long complaint following the day I watched an adoption occur with NO paperwork or advice given at all....if anyone wants to read it let me know and i'll paste it in to the thread! :D
(It talks about....abandoned, rescued or sick rabbits being the buns in the adoption centres....doesn't mention old stock at all!)
I feel guilty as after my complaint (which was regarding rehoming a pair to a couple who intended on putting them with their existing rabbits - with no advice on bonding or neutering - this pair of females were not spayed!) - well after this I went back in and all the signs above the adoption rabbits read 'can not live with other rabbits - prefer to be alone as don't like other rabbits' etc... And I thought help perhaps my complaint did this? damage limitation?? :( I can't imagine one customer complaint would be enough to change practice, but I couldn't help wonder if it was intended to avoid having to address the bonding issues? From what I have read from countless experienced rescues - it is a very rare rabbit that does not enjoy rabbit company....might just take a few goes to find the right partner!

I don't think you should feel guilty as my local one as similar signs about rabbits having to live alone. :(

I don't think you should feel guilty as my local one as similar signs about rabbits having to live alone. :(

Okay thanks, that's a relief, I thought I had single handedly changed their adoption policy - me and my ego :lol:!
Awful for the bunnies though :( Although my OH said I should look at it like this, it's better they go to be single buns loved and cared for (we hope) than be shoved in with other bunnies causing pregnancy and more unwanted litters or horrendous fighting and injury and them ending up back at the store AGAIN! I suppose he's right but it's blimmin sad :(

Personally I think the whole procedure is flawed :(

Last edited:
Mine often has that sign too. Once there was a Doe in the AC and the sign said 'I dont like people or other Rabbits and am happiest if you look and dont touch'
She was dashing madly about the perspex box that is the AC building a nest. So she was either hormonal or pregnant. Poor Bun :cry:

I have just taken two Guinea Pigs in via the RSPCA that came from P@H 2 females and 1 male. P@H didn't make a mistake with the sexes the fella said he wanted to watch them breed:shock: and they sold them to him. Hamster cages were also sold to him for them to live in. I know have 1 male & 2 females and the daughter of the pair is pregnant by her father:roll:.
So it is nice to see that some branches encourage breeding:evil:

I have just taken two Guinea Pigs in via the RSPCA that came from P@H 2 females and 1 male. P@H didn't make a mistake with the sexes the fella said he wanted to watch them breed:shock: and they sold them to him. Hamster cages were also sold to him for them to live in. I know have 1 male & 2 females and the daughter of the pair is pregnant by her father:roll:.
So it is nice to see that some branches encourage breeding:evil:

Oh for goodness sake :shock: :censored: :evil:

It's not encouraging breeding to just sell animals to someone who wants to breed. It's just accepting it. To encourage it would be to put up a sign that says "breed them and get some extra cute babies!"

It's not encouraging breeding to just sell animals to someone who wants to breed. It's just accepting it. To encourage it would be to put up a sign that says "breed them and get some extra cute babies!"

Well its hardly promoting responsible Pet ownership is it :roll:

Well it is definately happening in a local Branch yet when I spoke with the AC Co-ordinator at HO she insisted this would not and should not happen.

Mind you, is it worse for the unsold 'stock' to be moved to the AC or to go back to the breeder :?

The pet shop i work in (which at times i just want to cry:() dont send the bunnies back to the breeder they send them to another store to see if they can be sold there :( Unfortunately we sell our rabbits very quickly and we are the store unsold bunnies get sent to :cry:

Im in the process of looking for another job as i cant stand working with such horrible people :cry: We currently have 4 lionhead X's in and they are bedded on woodshavings, even though i said they should NOT be:cry: I get ignored all the time :roll:

My local P@H sell their bunnies too quickly to go to the adoption centre:(

Back