• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decision to make ?

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
I've just been looking at my old calendar to make sure I don't miss anyone's birthday and I've just noticed the day I lost Yoshi was on his 2nd Birthday.. It hasn't even been three weeks but all ready it seems like months.

Yoshi's mum has just had a litter unfortunatly three of the four have died but the remaining kit is doing really well. I have been told I can have him/her when its old enough to be rehomed - I'm not sure what the right thing to do is? Am I getting a new rabbit too early?

Last edited:
I don't think there is a 'too early'. Another bun to love will help ease your pain. And since you have the love to give, this little one would be a lucky bun indeed!

Yoshi's brother/sister

2gwue02.jpg

I'm thinking "Fudge" he's a week old at the moment, so won't be ready for another 7 weeks if I decide to take him

It's a tricky one. If all his/her siblings have died I'd want to know why - could be something genetic, especially as Yoshi died young as well and is related. I'd also be bothered about supporting the breeding of rabbits when there are so many rescues available. Couldn't you offer to take the mother rabbit instead/as well so at least she can have a break from breeding, or get a pair from a rescue?

The siblings died because they were born too small, the breeder had said from day one she didn't think they would make it but Fudge was bigger than all the others.

When Yoshi died the vet we were referred to telephoned me to offer me his condolences and I asked him ( as he had all of Yoshi's x-rays) whether it was genetic and he didn't necessarily think it was.

I was told to get any bun checked at twelve weeks as they should know by then if there are going to be any problems.

I have taken a rescue bunny (Bisky) on, who also had some dental problems, was blind in one eye, had cysitus and many other problems who I lost at the same time as Yoshi so I'm not against taking on a rescue rabbit.

In fact when Fudge has been neutured I will probably look to bond him with a rescue bunny. Also worse case senario and Fudge does get ill at least he will be with someone who take all the necessary steps to do the very best for him and not just dump him at a rescue center and isn't that what it's all about quality of life....

I just hope it's the right decision, it's just that I miss Yoshi so much he was my baby and I love him very much :love:

The siblings died because they were born too small, the breeder had said from day one she didn't think they would make it but Fudge was bigger than all the others.

When Yoshi died the vet we were referred to telephoned me to offer me his condolences and I asked him ( as he had all of Yoshi's x-rays) whether it was genetic and he didn't necessarily think it was.

I was told to get any bun checked at twelve weeks as they should know by then if there are going to be any problems.

I have taken a rescue bunny (Bisky) on, who also had some dental problems, was blind in one eye, had cysitus and many other problems who I lost at the same time as Yoshi so I'm not against taking on a rescue rabbit.

In fact when Fudge has been neutured I will probably look to bond him with a rescue bunny. Also worse case senario and Fudge does get ill at least he will be with someone who take all the necessary steps to do the very best for him and not just dump him at a rescue center and isn't that what it's all about quality of life....

I just hope it's the right decision, it's just that I miss Yoshi so much he was my baby and I love him very much :love:

Sounds like you've thought it all through and Fudge will have a great home with you. Once you get through the 12 week hurdle that will be a big relief I'm sure :)

TBH this breeder sounds a bit dodgy to me. If Yoshi's Mum has been having litters for at least 2 years (possibly longer), then her body is probably worn out. No wonder most of the babies died. Very sad situation :cry:

TBH this breeder sounds a bit dodgy to me. If Yoshi's Mum has been having litters for at least 2 years (possibly longer), then her body is probably worn out. No wonder most of the babies died. Very sad situation :cry:

Fudge is very cute...

But I have to say, alarm bells also rang for me when you said Yoshi had been two and this a litter from the same mother.... :(

Depends on the breed I think, but a decent breeder will tend to breed a rabbit between about 8 months and 2 years...and then only let her have 3 or 4 litters in that time.

After about 3 years of age, the does fertility will really start to decrease and she will often have trouble getting pregnant, have smaller litters, unhealthy babies or the babies may die.

Do any good breeders on here have any opinions on the subject?

I did a lot of research into breeding(for a project on genetics etc.) a few years ago and I believe that many breeders breed does up to 3 years of age so if she had Yoshi at 8-10 months then she will not be quite 3 yet:) I do know someone who had 2 litters with their doe (one at 2 years old and one at 3 and a half) and they were all fine even though I did tell her that she was risking the doe's live having her first litter at 2:roll:.

Thank you, thats a bit of a relief.. I don't want any rabbit to suffer, now I can maybe start looking forward to receiving Fudge :D and boy is he gonna eat hay wether he likes it or not - no more dental buns for me if we can avoid it - FINGERS CROSSED

Back