• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit or kitten (as a buddy)

Ed68

New Kit
We're considering getting R-fur a new buddy rabbit (well, his first rabbit friend).

We've just heard however about some kittens that need adopting and are considering one of these instead.

I've read on here (and elsewhere) that Rabs and Kittens can become good friends but wondered what your thoughts are.

R-fur Rabbit is a Netherlands Dwarf - we used to think he was timid but he's recently been introduced to some well behaved dogs and been binkying around them so think he'd like a furrry friend.

Getting him a friend is definately a good idea and whilst cats and rabbits can get on a friend of his own kind would be best. Is he neutered? If so why not have a look in the rabbits in need section for a nice girly bun for him

I like the idea of another rabbit. That way they can 'chat' in their own language, and be with each other the whole time. There's always the risk that the cat won't take to the rabbit at all, or worse!

Thanks for the responses.

We are unsure at the mo'. We realise that most Rabs would want another Rab for company but he's never known another Rab (unless it was before we adopted him) and not sure whether he'd become territorial.

Also, he hasn't been neutured and as we've had no problems then haven't wanted him to suffer. He was frequently ill when we first had him - having to feed him rabbit complan via a syringe etc but he's in great form over the last year.

He's a total indoor bunny as well so not sure if he'd need shots if mixing with a cat that goes outdoors.

Whatever we choose it will definately be an adoption.

Lib - thanks for the comments on the name - if we get another bunny we were going to call it sixpence (R-Fur Sixpense) or a cat could be Echo (and the bunnyman). Sorry :oops:

Are you from the UK?

Your bunny should have his vaccinations even if he lives indoors, myxi is spread through insect bites so he could potentially get myxi if he lives indoors :( I wouldnt risk it.

As for the main question you asked, i would definately get him a bunny friend for company :) Theres alot of differences between a kitten and a bunny so you need to think long about what it is you want :) You could always get a neutered female bunny from a rescue to bond with him :) xXx

I'd definitely go for a rabbit companion. Cats are predators, rabbits are prey. All my old cats loved rabbit cat food. I've rescued a large number of bunnies from cats in the past. Yes, you can get them as buddies, but this is usually accidental meetings as opposed to purposeful bondings. They are so different. The vast majority of cats have a massive hunting instinct. Even if bunny wasn't killed, he could be hurt or seriously traumatised by the cat 'playing' with it. As I say, accidental meetings can work out but I'd not set out to expect a rabbit and a cat to be best mates, and I'd not leave a cat alone with a rabbit...which kind of defeats the object of having one as a companion. A rabbit would be a far more preferable companion, IMO.

We've been thinking about this and agree that a Bun would be best for him - kind of obvious really!

Becky - we are in the UK and have what appears to be a very Rabbit friendly (and knowledgeable vet) who advised that he doesn't need his shots.

We've been thinking about this and agree that a Bun would be best for him - kind of obvious really!

Becky - we are in the UK and have what appears to be a very Rabbit friendly (and knowledgeable vet) who advised that he doesn't need his shots.

I'm glad you're going for another bunny :wave: I've just adopted Jester and it's wonderful seeing Daisy with a bunny friend :D

She has also befriended my cats to a certain extent (one of them in particular) but despite some bunny-cat cuddles and sitting with them sometimes etc, there is no question at all that being bonded with Jester has given her her first proper friendship! She got tetchy with the cats regularly for not understanding her bunny body language, and started chasing them and lunging at them when they didn't groom her on request :lol:

I'm very surprised about your vet's attiude to vaccinations :? Indoor bunnies are still at risk of contracting myxi and VHD, and I would strongly recommend that you get R-fur vaccinated asap. Maybe worth phoning a couple of other vets in your area and perhaps change vet?

I never ever thought Lola would take to another rabbit - she is very spoilt and thinks she owns me!

She bonded quite easily with Lucy and they both adore each other now. Best thing I ever did!

Good to read about the success stories :D

We are a little concerned because he's the master in the house and we don't want him to no longer feel he is the boss - and he is (or at least was) fairly timid.

Will we definatley need to have him 'sorted' - if so then does it really take two months before bonding can begin or have I read that wrong?

We'll need to change vet as we've moved and will get him his shots - possibly at the same time as 'the chop' :(

I can only spend a limited time rubbing heads together and playing 'move the stick' so hopefully we can find a suitable partner.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Cheshire (Northwich) - I've seen the contacts on the site and will try those but thought if anybody knows anybody who could help us bond that would be great - we've never done it before.

Re. bonding. It takes about 6 weeks for the sperm to die off so he could still become a daddy in that time. But if the doe has been spayed already (and it's far easier to bond them if they are both neutered), then it should be fine once his hormones have settled down. With my buns I had them both in dog crates next to each other. I had Winslow done just before I found Smooch and then had to wait for her to be old enough to be done and have time to recover. I bonded them last week and it was instant love as they'd known each other through the crates for a couple of months. They are always together now and absolutely adore each other. It was so easy that way. I used the Winslow's crate for the bonding, after I'd neutralised it with white vinegar. They're now in their new home and having the time of their little lives. The best bit is that they're still super affectionate to us and our little boy. They are definitely happier now they're together, even though they were so close before. It's well worth going through.

Last edited:
Thanks Smooch - that's really informative and a great story!

TBH, I don't think he's got any hormones in his body - he's placid as anything and doesn't do any of the 'naughty by stuff' you read about on here.

The only time he got a little irked is when a gerbil touched his head (long story). Oh, he used to stamp a lot when we put him in his hutch but doesn't do that anymore.

Winslow never did the 'teenage' boy stuff either. He very quickly bowed down to Smooch being the boss and he just does as she tells him, lol. Sounds like you shouldn't have too many problems with bonding him.

Back