• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dirty Bum

nixxy83

Young Bun
Hi All,

My rabbit Smudge is 2 1/2 years old now and he went through a stage of not eating. So I spoke to the vet and they suggested changing his diet.

I have done this and now he seems to have a dirty bum. It just looks like he has had a runny bum and not cleaned himself properly - no proper poo bits stuck down there.

His diet is HAY - which he has all the time available in his cage
Breakfast - Spring Greens, Carrots, Brocoli and herbs
Tea - Excel Pellets

I dont know if I am doing something wrong, or is it because he needs cleaning out more???? I clean him out every 2/3 days.

Thing is he is not poorly - infact since he has been on a new diet he is the happiest I have known him to be, and he loves food - dont get me wrong he is still not keen on the pellets but he is eating them.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

Did you change the pellets over gradually? I personally would cut everything out except hay and start from basics when the poos go back to normal. Greens and broccoli are often culprits too.

Have you had your buns teeth checked at the vets? In this hot weather a vet visit will definitely be worthwhile because of flystrike which can be deadly :(

While your bun has a runny poos in this weather, I would clean out daily and make sure your bun is cleaned as often as possible.

He has always been on excel since the day I brought him - however dont know if this is a good one or not as am willing to buy something else if need be.

The greens and veg he has always had but now he has alot more so am wondering if this is why?

He is a very fussy rabbit and this is the first time I have known him to be like this so dont know what to do.

He is an indoor rabbit - so I dont know about flystrike???

Do you think its worth taking him right back to basics then and starting again

There is still a chance of him having flystrike as an indoor bun, so I would definitely increase the cleaning and make sure you clean him as often as possible atm.

A lot of members on here have found that since coming off excel that buns poops improve (including mine) and Science Selective is a good alternative. However, I wouldn't suggest changing foods until you have a good while of normal poops. Plus, if his poops were normal before on excel than I wouldn't think it was the pellets causing your bun problems :?

If you have increased the greens, it could be possible, try cutting them down (or out for a bit) and see what difference it makes.

I would suggest a vet visit though to have your buns teeth checked as well.

Back