• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm so heartbroken for this bunny :-(

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
I just noticed a hutch appear in my neighbour's garden. My heart is breaking for this poor little one :cry: On his/her own, in a tiny hutch, with a shaky-looking run that's also appeared with no shade/hiding area and which doesn't seem to be catproof let alone foxproof :cry:

<photo removed to prevent identification>

I'm so sorry for the poor little thing, the couple who live there argue all the time and their kid is too young to have the responsibility, they had a dog up until a few months ago that they didn't look after either they just shouted at it :(

I'm really at a loss of what to do. We've lived here a while but hardly know them as they never talk to us so it would be a good starting point, and I can let them know that I'm here if the rabbit is poorly I can help with what might be wrong with it. But beyond that I don't think I can help them too much. Their garden isn't as big as ours and no way big enough for the correct RSPCA size hutch & combo run and I worry that if it's a female they won't get her neutered :?

I've seen some threads around before of people with a similar problem but I never found out how they were resolved (if at all). Has anyone ever managed to change the way a neighbour looks after their animals and if so, advice on how to do that? :?

I just want to help this poor little mite but I've no idea how to go about doing it

Can anyone recommend an up to date rabbit book that i can buy to 'lend' them? I only have the Rabbitlopedia which is horribly out of date suggesting hutch size of 3ft x 3ft :? if I can buy something that gives up to date info on rabbit care then I can hope they will read it...

Last edited:
I'd pop round with some RWA leaflets and as a starting point say 'Hi, I couldn't help noticing when I looked out my window..........thought you might be interested in these I have spare.....

Good Luck! :)

I'd pop round with some RWA leaflets and as a starting point say 'Hi, I couldn't help noticing when I looked out my window..........thought you might be interested in these I have spare.....

Good Luck! :)

That's exactly what I did - although my neighbours had asked me to look after their bunny when they were on holiday. I put him in his run and filled it with tunnels, cardboard boxes, litter trays and hay etc and left it all in there for when they came home. They returned it all to me even though I said "keep it, I've already got loads". Sadly, they didn't keep it but they did read through all the RWA leaflets and they did get him a bigger Thistle Hall hutch. Still not got a run though but at least it's better than the 3ft hutch he was in.

It's a real difficult one 'cos people tend to "turn off" if they get whiff of advice coming their way.

I'd try catching the woman one day and say that you've noticed the new rabbit and ask how he is and let the conversation progress.

I have a similar problem with a friend who I'd given advice to on rescues etc, which was promptly ignored when her eldest daughter got her younger daughter a little nethie from the pet shop.
We went out in a group recently and she bent my ear all night for advice (which I was happy about) but when I went to see the bun I could have cried - his hutch must be 2.5ft if that:(
I've given her a run to attach to it, managed to switch her onto Allen and Page from museli, and supply her with hay (the rabbit was only given straw for the first 3 weeks as they thought that was hay:roll:)
I've also convinced her to get the bun vaccinated.
Next I'm working on the hutch size, but I know it has to be a bit at a time or they'll just switch off altogether, and then your chance is lost.

It's always worth a try though, just gauge her reaction as you go.

I would go round, have a chat with them and offer to help. That way you can check the little one over and may be able to convince them to do the right thing looking after it :)

Actually I think I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks before I do anything.

It's just occured to me that the hutch doesn't look new and the run looks even less new. The rabbit is not a baby but it's not fully grown either :? It looks slightly smaller than one of my buns and he's 8 months old. I wonder if they are looking after it for someone? :?

If it's still there in a couple of weeks I'll assume that they aren't looking after it for a friend. But in the meantime if I don't see at least a sunshade over that crappy run I will say something sooner..

Last edited:
hmm i have done this with my neighbours and have taken the talk badley and got very annoyed at me because i was making a big fuss about the rabbit "its only a rabbit " situation came up. grrss i kept putting leaflet through the door i think they knew it was me. i dont know if they read them but i tried. :( poor little bunny

Poor bun:( You could go round and and offer to look after him if they go away and let them know you are there if they have any problems or need help. That way they not think your 'interferring' and will let them know you are there if the brat gets bored with him.

hmm i have done this with my neighbours and have taken the talk badley and got very annoyed at me because i was making a big fuss about the rabbit "its only a rabbit " situation came up. grrss i kept putting leaflet through the door i think they knew it was me. i dont know if they read them but i tried. :( poor little bunny

This is what I'm worried about :?

If it's theirs I will buy a good bunny book and 'lend' them it (without asking for it back) give them the name of my local bunny boarders for when they go on holiday and the number of a good vet (not the **** local vet who almost killed Luna) point out my 12 years of bunnykeeping and how my door is always open for a cuppa tea if they need any help or advice. That way, hopefully things will get off onto a good foot with good recommendations rather than a straight out 'You're doing it wrong'. If I don't see any improvements after the bunny book then I'll just have to keep conversation up and try and point things out subtly as and when I get the oppertunity. I don't want to come on too strong as they'll take offence or switch off :roll:

Last edited:
They just seem a little uneducated. Toffee has spent the majority of his life in one of these hutches I am ashamed to say, until I stumbled across this forum.
I'd have a little chat with them.

If it was me I'd be inclined to use the bunny as a conversation starter and a way to get to the regularly saying hi and starting a conversation stage and leave it as long as I could stand before bringing up the points about the bunny, if they are quick to argue with each other, they may be just as quick to assume your advice is critisism and argue with you, and once thats happenned, theyre going to be very reluctant to listen or act upon ur good advice :S
You may even find if you dont offer them any critisism, and just appear as the friendly next door neighbour bunny guru, in a few months when bunny is getting bored in that hutch and chewing stuff or acting up, and when the kid loses interest, they will coem to you of their own accord and say "hey you know about bunnies, whys this happenning?" then you can say "she needs neutering" or "her hutch is too small she's bored".
The first problem I would tackle is the run, because thats a real danger, maybe pop next door and say something like, "Hi guys I just thought Id let you know a local cat has been bothering my bunnies, not too much of a problem becaus theyre never unsuperised and the run is really sound, but yours looks a little flimsy and I wouldnt want anythign to happen to yours"
Hopefully then theyl just recognise it as concern rather than accuse you of poking your nose in :)
Good luck with your bunny novice neighbours! xxx

I think now you both have bunnies then it is an idea opportunity to say hi and ask what the bunny's name is, and to say how cute he or she is. Then leave for a couple of days. Then invite them round to meet your bunnies, and give them a little bunny gift.

I would keep it friendly, don't give them advice at all unless they ask for it, but mention RU, and the RWAF and also be neighbourly and say that you are more than willing to bunny sit if they are away etc.

As we are all on this forum we are all aware that the accomodation is pretty poor, but they probably have no idea, and nobody likes to be told they are doing the wrong thing.

To be fair to them, they have got a run, looks like they have a cover of some sort and bunny has food and water.

I had no idea that bottle snugs, ice pods etc even existed until 2 years ago.

Back