• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding possibilities - help needed please..

abcdefg

Young Bun
I have 2 sister mini lops 11 weeks old. Unfortunately one has a blocked tear duct and breeder has agreed that I can return her or both of them for another pair.

Since having them I have read a lot about mini lops and would dearly love to breed at least a couple of times. I need a lot of advice though. I have bought a lovely large hutch and run as initially I wanted 2 bunnies to live together permanently as friends. Hence the 2 sisters.

Ok, so here are my questions:

I do not want lots of does or bucks, preferably just one of each however I realise if this is the case then they will have to live apart which kind of ruins the friends for life bit.

Is it possible that I keep one 11 week old and mate her taking her to the new bucks hutch when she is 6 months and he is 4?

Then after she has had a litter would it work to then have him neutered and put him with her to live as friends? Or would they fight?

Why not stick with the two sisters and have them both neutered so they can live together as friends. Do you have the money and space for lots of baby bunnies if they don't sell? I really don't think you should breed unless you know what you are doing and experienced with rabbits.

Because the beautiful seal point has a bad eye. The eye itself looks fine but big loss of fur, weeping and pink.

I have 2 sister mini lops 11 weeks old. Unfortunately one has a blocked tear duct and breeder has agreed that I can return her or both of them for another pair.

Since having them I have read a lot about mini lops and would dearly love to breed at least a couple of times. I need a lot of advice though. I have bought a lovely large hutch and run as initially I wanted 2 bunnies to live together permanently as friends. Hence the 2 sisters.

Ok, so here are my questions:

I do not want lots of does or bucks, preferably just one of each however I realise if this is the case then they will have to live apart which kind of ruins the friends for life bit.

Is it possible that I keep one 11 week old and mate her taking her to the new bucks hutch when she is 6 months and he is 4?

Then after she has had a litter would it work to then have him neutered and put him with her to live as friends? Or would they fight?

What a shame you gave up on her because she had health problems :cry:. Im sorry to say but this forum is very big on rescuing unwanted buns not breeding more so you may be best to find a different forum for your answers. Why is it you want to breed? Are you aware that bunnies are the most abandoned animals with thousands ending up in rescues each year (if they are lucky enough :cry: ) which is why I urge you not to add to this and enjoy your bunnies as pets, get them netured and them them live out their lives in the lovely large hutch you brought them :D.

Because the beautiful seal point has a bad eye. The eye itself looks fine but big loss of fur, weeping and pink.

Has she been examined by a vet. Personally I would rather get the bunny treated myself and ask the breeder for the money for the vet fees. What will the breeder do with the bunny with the bad eye. Sorry I can see your point about wanting a healthy bun but I do feel sorry for the bun with the bad eye.

i have the same thing with my bunny i wouldnt never give her up because of it the vet can flush it, please dont breed there are two many bunnys needing homes out there we have been dumped some females who had babies 9 babys born had limbs missing ect and all died we have 3 left and they will have to be found homes also

It is likely if you take her back, the breeder will dispose of her :(

If she has tear duct problems, it is likely any babies from those parents could have it. It is a common problem with flat faced breeds such as mini lops.

If you breed and can not find homes, would you keep them all?
Could you afford to vaccinate each one 3 times a year and get them neuteured/spayed and large enough accomodation each?

If she had a problem in labour, could you afford emergency vet treatment? (Around £300-£400)

33,000 rabbits end up in rescues every year.

What area do you live in?

Has she been examined by a vet. Personally I would rather get the bunny treated myself and ask the breeder for the money for the vet fees. What will the breeder do with the bunny with the bad eye. Sorry I can see your point about wanting a healthy bun but I do feel sorry for the bun with the bad eye.

So do I she is lovely and they have both bonded very well but from what I have read on the net she probably has a blocked tear duct and I dont really want to be taking her to vets for the rest of her life. I only paid £10 each from them and the breeder was a lovely man who loves and really cares for all his bunnies.

I am going to be cruel now but hopefully it will get the point across - if you send the baby rabbit back you may well be sending her to her death. Sorry to be blunt but why would someone who breeds commercially be bothered to pay for vetinary treatment? Some breeders are responsible and do things properly but they are few and far between.

I am afraid you will have to take the bunnies to the vets at least twice a month for the rest of their lives - their lives being 8-12 years!

I suggest you do some thorough research into the requirements of the rabbits and forget about breeding them. This website is amazingly brilliant for information about the size of hutches and their runs, as well as food, neutering and such like. Good luck!

Emma

Last edited:

If she has tear duct problems, it is likely any babies from those parents could have it. It is a common problem with flat faced breeds such as mini lops.

If you breed and can not find homes, would you keep them all?
Could you afford to vaccinate each one 3 times a year and get them neuteured/spayed and large enough accomodation each?

If she had a problem in labour, could you afford emergency vet treatment? (Around £300-£400)

33,000 rabbits end up in rescues every year.

What area do you live in?

Ok, Ok, Ive gone off the breeding idea. Stupid idea. Thankyou all for making me see sense.

So do I she is lovely and they have both bonded very well but from what I have read on the net she probably has a blocked tear duct and I dont really want to be taking her to vets for the rest of her life. I only paid £10 each from them and the breeder was a lovely man who loves and really cares for all his bunnies.

Unfortunately bunnies are very expensive, you could end up with problems later in life even if you have healthy bunnies at the start. Minilops have genetics problems i.e. teeth problems and sometimes eye problems and my Honey has the start of teeth spurs so if she does eventually need an operation that will be about £50.00 - £60.00.

Unfortunately bunnies are very expensive, you could end up with problems later in life even if you have healthy bunnies at the start. Minilops have genetics problems i.e. teeth problems and sometimes eye problems and my Honey has the start of teeth spurs so if she does eventually need an operation that will be about £50.00 - £60.00.

Yes, thats why I think it perhaps best to start again with new bunnies while I have the chance. It is not going to be easy.

I am only really guessing she has a blocked duct. The breeder says he has had a rabbit for years that he successfully breeds from and although unsightly she is in no pain.

He breeds a bun with known health problems? Its not surprising the bunny had health problems :roll: This is in no way aimed at you but the breeder doesnt sound very good :cry: :cry:.

I am afraid you will have to take the bunnies to the vets at least twice a month for the rest of their lives - their lives being 8-12 years!

Why?

Firstly, well done for going off the idea of breeding, excellent decision :thumb:

Rabbits need vaccinations, VHD once a year and myxi twice a year: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/vacination28.8.07.pdf

Check out this site for lots of very nice leaflets about caring for rabbits. http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

How large is your hutch? What food are you giving?

I am only really guessing she has a blocked duct. The breeder says he has had a rabbit for years that he successfully breeds from and although unsightly she is in no pain.

Where are you located?
I really don;t think taking bunny back would be good... i know of far too many breeders who would cull unhealthy unsellable buns, despite appearing kind and polite to you and about their buns :cry:

Yes, thats why I think it perhaps best to start again with new bunnies while I have the chance. It is not going to be easy.

Ok if you start again with new bunnies why not adopt from your local rescue. They will have already been vaccinated, neutered and they will have the background of the bunnies and they will have been veterinarily checked. Would work out cheaper in the long run. Sorry I still feel it is unfair on the bunny to return it without having it checked by the vet first and a proper diagnosis done but obviously that is your decision.

Firstly, well done for going off the idea of breeding, excellent decision :thumb:

Rabbits need vaccinations, VHD once a year and myxi twice a year: http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/vacination28.8.07.pdf

Check out this site for lots of very nice leaflets about caring for rabbits. http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

How large is your hutch? What food are you giving?

New hutch 5ft long with 5ft x 5ft run. Pellets they were raised on or similar and fresh hay daily.

Back