• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health advise please - urgent

Lread

Young Bun
Molly stopped eating yesterday and pooing and as usual I suspected it was her teeth, the vet saw her 5:50pm yesterday and hr agreed and did them straight away. I brought her home at 6:30 pm yesterday, they did give her pain re;lief.

She has still not done any dropping and does not want to eat.

What should I do / try.

Louise

I know when my doe was spayed the vet told me to tempt her with her favourite food. Is there anything you would normally give her as a treat, which you could tempt her with now? If she doesn't eat for 24hrs she'll have a problem with gut stasis which can kill - did the vet give her anything as well to help prevent gut stasis?

I don't think that he did, she is eating a few of her favourite thingsd but I worried about the lack of poos

Ok, if she is now eating a little then hopefully she will pas some faeces in the next few hours. Her guts are probably quite empty and there wont be much coming out if not much has been going in. Try to encourage her to drink. Rabbits will often drink more from a bowl than a bottle.

Offer her some of her fave Veg and some dandelion leaves.

I have taken she to the vets again at 13:00 and they have kept her in over night, phoned at 18:30 and they said she had eaten some grass but still not done any droppings - they have given her antibotics and a gut protecter.

I just why no gut stimulate and they said because she was eating.

I have taken she to the vets again at 13:00 and they have kept her in over night, phoned at 18:30 and they said she had eaten some grass but still not done any droppings - they have given her antibotics and a gut protecter.

I just why no gut stimulate and they said because she was eating.

How long since she did any droppings? Gut motility agents are not given to make a bunny eat, they are given to make a bunny poo!! Grrrr some vets!! :(
I would be worried about gastric stasis and the use of antibiotics without any known infection making this worse by upsetting the caecal flora. Probiotics of course will help with this though. Perhaps the antibiotics were preventative after the dental? However, I would personally want my vet to be giving pain relief and gut motility agents as a priority. I hope your bunny feels better soon. :)

its been about 40 hours now and she is in the vets, I wondered why they gave antibotics.

She had pain relief Sat PM and I was giving her avipro in her water at home.

they said they wouldn't give gut mobility agents because she was eating - but I pointed out the she wasn't pooing and hadn't for 40 hrs.

Last edited:
Back