• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on lone bunny-Can any rescues near staffs help?

Vix

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,

As some of you may remember last year I put my bunny on here for rehoming after her husbun died as I didn't feel it was fair for her to live outside on her own and as I'm at Uni/working, I don't have a lot of time to spend with her and didn't particularly want to take on any more animals.

Anyway nobody has shown any interest in her and she's still here nearing a year later, still on her own :( So I guess I'm just looking for some advice really, as I can't find anyone suitable to give her a forever home should I get another bunny for her so she will have companionship even though i won't have the time to spend with them myself?

This is assuming I can pursuade my mom to take on another rabbit as she looks after them a lot of the time now.

I'm just at a loss as to what to do, I really don't think its fair for her to spend the rest of her life on her own :cry:

Housebunny has been tried in the past but she hates it inside for anything longer than a quick run around.

Last edited:
I have the same dilemma with Phoebe being on her own, she is 5 years old now and her last 2 partners died. She seems ok on her own but I think she would be happier with a husbun. The only problem is I don't know if I want to keep getting more pets when its so heart braking when they die.

If your mum is the one looking after her then you need to ask her how she would feel about taking on another rabbit. If your mum thinks it's a good idea then it would probably be good for her to have a partner if you can afford it. Otherwise she will just have to stay a lone bunny. I know plenty of other people who have single buns that stay like that all their lives.

Personally, I would adopt her a friend of a similar age. Although it is upsetting when they die, i'd far rather put their happiness before my own emotions. Rabbits if kept in pairs don't need a lot of human interaction, they just need to be kept clean, fed, and health checked regularly. I think it would be a pretty miserable existence living on your own with very little interaction after living with another rabbit.

Personally, I would adopt her a friend of a similar age. Although it is upsetting when they die, i'd far rather put their happiness before my own emotions. Rabbits if kept in pairs don't need a lot of human interaction, they just need to be kept clean, fed, and health checked regularly. I think it would be a pretty miserable existence living on your own with very little interaction after living with another rabbit.

I completely agree with charlie82 - all of ours have bunny company with the exception of 2 of the males. Noah is so closely bonded with me, he just doesn't want other bunny company, even though we've tried - that said he is completely free range in the house :) Arther our other single male is 6 1/2 years old & we rescued him in Feb this year - as yet I've been unable to find him a friend he feels comfortable with. He's got no front teeth & was getting bullied by his first girlfriend & it didn't work putting him our big group :( That said he can see other buns & loves his free time in the garden & living in the house. I am hopeful in time he might accept another bun, as I'd hate him not to have bunny company.

I'd have a good chat with your mum & see how she feels about taking on another bun :)

I also agree that a new bun would be a good idea :)
My two in the garden are very anti social towards us, but they love each others company and they have lots of room to run about in their shed. After all the trouble I had I'm glad I had an extra bun (even though it is more money now) for Paddy to spend his days with rather than keep him alone in the garden as I also work full time and wouldnt of been able to be with him in the shed for long periods and I have Lily in the house. Paddy is so happy now and as I say, they dont bother with us inless we're feeding and watering them now..picky so and so's :lol:
Good luck hun :) x

Thanks all,

The thing that worries me most about getting another bunny is that when one of them dies I'm going to be in the same position again and as much as I love Muffin and rabbits in general I don't want and probably won't be in a suitable situation to have rabbits for the rest of my life, so whilst having another companion for her would sort out the short-term problem, I could be in the same situation a few years down the line.

Having said that she is only 3/4 years old and the thought of her spending the rest of her life on her own is :cry:.

Arghhh I really don't know what to do for the best.

Thanks all,

The thing that worries me most about getting another bunny is that when one of them dies I'm going to be in the same position again and as much as I love Muffin and rabbits in general I don't want and probably won't be in a suitable situation to have rabbits for the rest of my life, so whilst having another companion for her would sort out the short-term problem, I could be in the same situation a few years down the line.

Having said that she is only 3/4 years old and the thought of her spending the rest of her life on her own is :cry:.

Arghhh I really don't know what to do for the best.

How about adopting an older bun? I know you can't predict health but this might even things out a bit? I'm sure she would just love some company :D

Yes I would adopt an older bun around 3/4 the same age, but its inevitable one would still be left alone.

I was thinking of getting an older male bun that loves human company and then if anything happened to Muffin, which hopefully it won't then I could bring him in as a housebunny so although not ideal he would still have a lot of human company.

However would any rescues be willing to rehome a bun knowing that if something happened to their companion then they would be living as a single bunny :? I'm not sure that many rescues would feel this was an ideal situation to rehome to tbh :(.

Have you seen if any local rescues would give you support in rehoming her, if you still felt it was best? Maybe you could foster a long-term bunny for them to bond with your girl, with the view that if a home came up for the both of them then you'd rehome them together, but if not then you'd basically be fostering the pair for the rescue.
Not sure if that's something a rescue would do but may be worth looking in to. I know of a few rat rescues who fostered out rats to people with older lone rats who weren't planning on getting more rats after their older one passed away, but that didn't want the rat being alone until then. Once the older rat passed away, the owners either sent the fostered rats back, or continued to foster them until a home was found

That sounds like a really good idea, I would definitely be interested in something like that as it would be a win-win situation.

If any rescues look at this and think they could help me out then please get in touch :).

Where abouts are you located? We may be able to recommend some local rescues to get in touch with. To be honest, most rescues are busy doing the rescue work so a post like this may easily be missed, but a polite email to ask a rescue if they'd be able to help out may be all you need :)

I'm in staffordshire near lichfield but I drive so could travel, I will try to get in touch with some rescues by email/phone as well but just put that on in case a rescue does see this post :).

I'm not really aware of any rabbit rescues that are particularly local to me, but as i say I don't mind travelling.

It may be worth editing the post title then - something like "Lone bunny advice - any rescues in Staffordshire able to help?" so it's a bit easier to spot :)

We are based in Walsall but have many foster carers in various places. Having said that, im only a fosterer and you would need to contact Lucy direct, email address is rspcawalsall@aol.com. I think she would just say to put Muffin on the bunny list tbh :? Its really hard to rehome pairs, and single bunnies get rehomed much quicker as people generally already have 1 bunny and want another.

I think you need to decide if you actually want to keep Muffin and get her a husbun or if you want to rehome her :(

Take care and i hope it gets sorted for you xXx

We are based in Walsall but have many foster carers in various places. Having said that, im only a fosterer and you would need to contact Lucy direct, email address is rspcawalsall@aol.com. I think she would just say to put Muffin on the bunny list tbh :? Its really hard to rehome pairs, and single bunnies get rehomed much quicker as people generally already have 1 bunny and want another.

I think you need to decide if you actually want to keep Muffin and get her a husbun or if you want to rehome her :(

Take care and i hope it gets sorted for you xXx

Thanks Becky, ideally i would rehome Muffin however i have been trying for practically a year now with no luck whatsoever and its gotten to the point where i've given up hope of finding her a new forever home :cry:

As much as i would love her to be rehomed with a new husbun, I won't just give her to anyone obviously and noone seems to be interested in her, i guess its because shes black and slightly older although not old at all really :(

Back