• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hocks!!!!????

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ok Fudges hocks are getting worse! They now have bald patches and are getting a bit red :( Im taking her to the vets monday to get them checked so i need advice!!!!

Best bedding?

She is in a Nic Set-up the base is sticky tiles on wood with mats on top. She usually has 2 more levels with carpet and towels and blankets.
She has megazorb in her litter tray with hay and changed every second day.

How do i give her better bedding and what bedding is better? She pees on hay so if i put hay on the floor she will pee all over it:roll:

Should i get her a rabbit cage (i hate them but can put hay and megazorb everywhere) and keep her in there to see if it helps her feet and then if they heal put her back in her bigger cage! Any Ideas?

I need help please! Is blankets and towels ok for her?
HELP:roll:

Fleecy blankets has cleared up Wesley's sore hocks. I have covered over the area with cheapy fleecy blankets he was originally on carpet.

I think i will go out and buy more blankets then:)
And i will clean her litter tray and hay tray out twice day to keep her away from soild bedding.

Is there anything i can put in her litter tray that stay dry on the top when pee'd on?

Also is vet bed any good for sore hocks?:wave:

All my rabbits are on a thick layer of sawdust, with the option to go on fleecy blankets. I have owned numerous rexes, and none have ever had sore hocks, so it must work well.

I dont use sawdust because it irritates her eyes causing them to water :(

I think i will order some of the pro fleece vet bedding, anyone know where to get it and if thats the correct name?:wave:

How do i give her better bedding and what bedding is better? She pees on hay so if i put hay on the floor she will pee all over it:roll:

I need help please! Is blankets and towels ok for her?
HELP:roll:

We found vet beds worked best for our sore hock foster bun. Fleece blankets were very good too. But the more you can pad them underneath with towels/blankets the better. If the hocks get very uncomfortable for your bun you can cut a strip of vet bed off and use it on top of the megazorb in the litter tray, that's what we did, but only because our foster bun was simply unable to sit down because his hocks were so bad and he was in such discomfort trying to stand on litter he'd rather wet his bedding. I'm a massive fan of vet beds :D You can buy them in P@H and most garden centres and online. Keep her toenails short too. http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Store/Dogs/Dogs/Vetbed-Original-Vet-Bed-Pet-Bedding The flectabed/thermo vet bed is a hit here too! It comes with a little fleecy cover and is like a flat padded cushion with heat reflective properties - good for sick buns and spoilt buns in winter! Too warm for summer tho.
After washing vet beds can clump, if you use a comb you can brush it back out smooth again. They wash easy and dry fast! The important bit is flexibility - one vet bed on a hard surface isn't very flexible, neither is one blanket, you need several towels/blankets and fold them and pile them up like the 'Princess and the Pea' fairytale :lol: That way the toes can sink in at rest and lift the weight and pressure off the hock.

Last edited:
Ok so i have just spent a small FORTUNE on more bedding :lol:

She already has 4 large blankets, 1 small blanket and 6 hand towels and 2 dog/cat beds and a small peice of vet bed.

I have just bought 4 more large blankets, 4 small blankets and 4 more towels.

I want to buy more vet bedding/pro fleece but where is a cheap place to buy from. My local pet shops has medium sizes at £30 :shock: I was looking for a large peice thats a reasonable price:D

Also is vet bed any good for sore hocks?:wave:

I think it was Jane who advised I kept Beau on cotton sheets rather than vetbed, and my vet confirmed that this would be best. I put down vetbed as usual but covered it with cotton sheets :) I hope it was Jane now I have said that because I can't remember properly I am sure it was though

I think I might have been advised against using fleece, not 100% sure though so maybe just check with your vet or someone on here might be able to confirm if its ok or not, I just seem to remember someone saying fleece could cause friction in the same way as carpet will. My vet definitely told me not to let him on any carpet/rugs or the grass until they had healed. When he played in the garden I was penning of a corner for him and putting vetbed with the cotton sheets down

I didn't let Beau play on any hard surfaces and washed and applied Flamazine twice a day which my vet prescribed, don't think you can get it without prescription

I used megazorb in his tray and emptied it pretty much every time he peed in it, also if he pees on any bedding it needs to be changed straight away because wetness/damp will make the sore hocks worse

Beau's hocks were in a bit of a state and bleeding but they have completely healed and fur has grown back :D Hope your bun's heal quickly x

Back