• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GIANT bunny ADVICE NEEDED - giant bunny wanted too!!

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I currently have two bunnies, a netherland and a dutch who are both neutered and live outside in a hutch.

I am considering having a giant female (so the male doesn't get territorial when he smells him on my clothes) to keep in the house separate from my out door buns.

I have been looking at dog crates as a housing option - what size would be ideal for a giant maybe a frenchie or continental? is 48 x 30 x 32 inches ok?

what do i have to take into consideration that i dont with my other bunnies. ?

I work 8-10 hour days- so will the giant be ok with toys etc during the shifts when i am at work?

if anyone can offer advice then i would be very grateful- and if anyone knows of any young giant females of good temperament that are in need of a home then please let me know similarly-

I am quite clued up on bunnies as I have had mine for a few years and they are spoilt rotten - so I do understand the work required and will not be making any impulse buys.

Thanks

Jemma

Our giant has free run of our utility and is litter trained. We have baby gates on our kitchen and infront of our back door so he can't get out if anyone comes. He has lots of toys, play tunnel etc. As he is litter trained he then comes in the house when we are home.... just like a dog !!:D

Our giant has free run of our utility and is litter trained. We have baby gates on our kitchen and infront of our back door so he can't get out if anyone comes. He has lots of toys, play tunnel etc. As he is litter trained he then comes in the house when we are home.... just like a dog !!:D

yeah i did think about that i don't really have a little room she could use all day long that i wouldn't mind them chewing. i looked at the Trixie indoor cage too is that any good?

In my opinion, a 48 inch dog crate should only be used as a base, in which a giant should never be shut in as it is just not big enough!

Could you not bunnyproof a room?

Or attach a large puppypen at least 8 ft around the crate?
If they are to be alone for the majority of the day i would suggest a partner.

In my opinion, a 48 inch dog crate should only be used as a base, in which a giant should never be shut in as it is just not big enough!

Could you not bunnyproof a room?

Or attach a large puppypen at least 8 ft around the crate?
If they are to be alone for the majority of the day i would suggest a partner.

yes i think your right- i have not long moved into my house and it needs decorating- what sort of things can i take into account when decoratiing for a giant ?

No wires around, I'd avoid carpet or wallpaper if you can see the seems of it or i'll be eaten, no important furniture.
You could use the NIC cubes that some people use as cages to fence off any areas you wouldn't want the rabbit going in though

All wires need to be out of sight and reach (giants can stretch 3 feet easily!!) and protected with plastic tubing. No plants left around that could be eaten if poisonous. Things like that really, nothing they can get to that you wouldn't mind having big bunny teefs in!!

I would definitely say that a dog crate is not big enough for a giant bun to be kept in if they don't have permanent access to a run as well. My advice would also be to rescue 2 giant buns - or at least another bun to go with a giant girlie. The amount of time she will be on her own, she might become depressed & lonely. There is also nothing like seeing 2 giant buns snuggled up together if you have the room for them :love:

Our 2 Emily & Archie live in our dining room - their base is a baby pen when we're not in - which is about 8ft x 4ft. I'd trust Emily completely, but Archie at the moment is like having a toddler in the house! He's already stripped one of the walls of wallpaper :roll::lol: Not that I mind, as it could do with decorating :lol: When we are in, they are out & about either in the living room or out in the garden. Archie needs loads of exercise to calm him down, but Emily couldn't care less & would quite happily sleep the clock round :roll:

They both also love their toys - especially things they can throw! Baby toys & rattles are a big hit, as well as wicker baskets & things they can chew :)

I would advise you to get a giant bun from a rescue (any bun for that matter) - they will almost probably have already been neutered / speyed & vaccinated. The rescue will also be able to tell you about their personality & maybe even bond the 2 buns for you.

Good luck & let us know how you go on.

There's quite a few threads & pics of my big buns in Your stories & photos.

Last edited:
I would say a giant needs more space than a crate and a rabbit friend if you are out all day
My advice..concentrate on your other two buns:D

I would say a giant needs more space than a crate and a rabbit friend if you are out all day
My advice..concentrate on your other two buns:D

I agree, as nice as a giant would be, it sounds to me like in your situation you have the perfect bunny family already. :)

Last edited:
I agree, as nice as a giant would be, it sounds to me like in your situation you have the perfect bunny family already. :)

thanks all! i feel like i could always do more though and rescue but there is a lot of thinking to be done

thank you- the advice is valuable- im sure u must feel the same tho that u never have enuf bunnies lol

Giants are gorgoues but a dog crate is far too small. They need masses of space, and they are so affectionate it would be mean to keep one alone. I'm bonding a pair at the moment, it was almost love at first sniff:love::love:
And giants are not hard to rehome from rescues. If you want to help a rescue choose a long term pair. We have several who have been here for over two years:(

Back