• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Mopsy - Blood tests back

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
The vet phoned today with Mopsy's blood test results.

She says that there is no problem with Mopsys renal function which is a relief!
BUT she says she does have a problem with her liver.:( Apparently she was low on protein too and she asked where I got the pellets from and were they fresh. I get my SS pellets from the vets so she said that couldnt be the problem as they only ever order a few at a time to make sure they are fresh.

She also said there was a problem with her pituatory gland. Its either a hormone issue or a tumor. She thinks the tumor is unlikely as Mopsy is such a young bun.:(

Mopsy is also a bit anaemic and shows low bone density but she said that was normal in a young, 5 month old bun.

The vet who examined Mopsy on thursday is away for 2 weeks now but she has asked to see her again when she gets back.

On a positive note the drinking and weeing seems to have calmed down but now we know about this new problem.

She was the runt of the litter which might explain all the problems she's having.

Please keep us in your thoughts.

Thank you Jacks-Jane,

I will mention Hepatic Coccidiosis to the vet and I will ask about the milk thistle.

I just wish we knew what was going on. Even the vet says she is confused:? Fortunatly Mopsy still seems fine in herself. She's eating and pooping fine and is as lively as ever!

My vet said it was hard to know what is going on with buns because they are either looking healthy or they are at deaths door. There is no inbetween stage which is the trouble with prey animals I guess.

Thank you Jacks-Jane,

I will mention Hepatic Coccidiosis to the vet and I will ask about the milk thistle.

I just wish we knew what was going on. Even the vet says she is confused:? Fortunatly Mopsy still seems fine in herself. She's eating and pooping fine and is as lively as ever!

My vet said it was hard to know what is going on with buns because they are either looking healthy or they are at deaths door. There is no inbetween stage which is the trouble with prey animals I guess.

What makes me think of HC is the fact that she is runty aswell as her abnormal LFTs :?
Perhaps your Vet might consider treating her with either Septrin or Borgal abx to cover that possibility :?

Has Mopsy ever had any episodes of diarrhoea when she first came to you ?

No she hasnt ever had diarrhoea.

There was some confusion over what had happened with Mopsys mother but as I understand it she had to be removed from her mother and placed with another doe and her litter and didnt get as much milk as she should have had. When I got her she was half the size of her brothers and sisters.:(
She soon put on weight with my care though. Could the lack of mothers milk have affected her?

This is how small she was when we got her. My o/h could just hold her in his hands.
April2009025.jpg

This is today with her husbun Peter.
June2009024.jpg

Thanks again, its going to be a long 2 week wait to see the vet again.

Back