• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use to carry bun to the vets or anywhere else?

Jeffalina

Young Bun
I still use the cardboard box that Pika came home in, as it's still in good condition and I think it smells familiar, (even though I use fresh hay every time) and I walk her to the vets because the car scares her so much. She seems to prefer the box with me walkin and chatting to her (I look ike crazy box lady).

Anyways, I was thinking of purchasing a propper pet carrier, an enclosed one with a wire door, and was thinking, would it be better for her to see out on the journey or does not being able to see out the box i currently use keep her calm because she's oblivious to what's going on around her? If it were me I'd prefer to see out, but I'm not a bunny (yet :p)

Was wondering what you guys use for transportation so I can get an idea of wether Pika might prefer a new carrier or not?

Thanks in advance love Jen and Pika xxx

I use a proper carrier as I always keep my two together so the bottom would fall out of a cardboard box!

we have two pet carriers, currently however buying a third this week as all 5 will be going for myxi together.

I have 4, my fave is a pet caddy which opens at the top. Then i have two sizes or front door open plastic ones and a material one.

I use a plastic pet/ cat carrier, but make sure you buy one with a top opener as if they are unwell it is particularly difficult to get them out of the front door. Also when I had my females spayed it is easier to pick them out wel supported. I like the plastic ones as they are easier to clean /disinfect and you can fasten a bottle on the wire door if needed for long journeys etc.

I got a cheap cat basket out of Home Bargins, he can get in and out of the door to play in it and you can take the top half off too if you need it.
Perfect for my Charlie, and cost about £5:)

I have enclosed plastic ones - but totally agree - get top opening ones. Depending on the bunny the front opening ones can be a nightmare to get bun in and out

Hi, up until recently I used a cardboard box and I have to say that although still scared the bunnies I have much prefered the box to the carriers that I now have and I think that is because they can now see out.

I have two cat carriers (4 rabbits), the type with the front opening door and now since using them, I agree with the others - go for one with a top opening as I have struggled to get my rabbits out of the ones that I have (sometimes).

I now also, always, cover the carrier with a blanket whilst walking to the vets - this helps with the not seeing bit!

Hope that helps a little
Wendy

I have 2 - One that opens at the front & top and another that opens just at the front. We bought the latter only because we needed it immediatly and it was the only one the on-site rescue shop had in.

Got to agree with the others that the top-opening one is the better one. If your buns don't like to see out then grab an old towel or sheet, cut a hole in the top just big enough for the handle, and drape it over to limit their vision.

I now stick both buns in just that one carrier. It's only really cat-sized so there's not much room for them but they usually just lie/sit down anyway and they are much more relaxed for being squished together rather than in seperate carriers :) (but I hold the carrier at the bottom in case their combined weight is too much for the handle :lol::lol::lol: )

I have one of these for my bunsters

I take the wire door off and have it out for them to hop in and out, I think it stresses them less when I do have to take them to the vet as its something familiar

I wouldn't trust a cardboard box - it only takes an out of control dog in the vets waiting room and your bunny could easily be killed. I wouldn't take the risk so would always use a proper sturdy pet carrier where they definitely can't get out and nothing can get in either.

I use a cat carrier ( i borrow it from a friend) remember to clean it! Lol! My one rabbit is quite big so she'd fall out of a cardboard box and my other rabbit is easily frightened and quite time so it is good to have an enclosed carrier for her!:D i hope this helped

Thank you all for your advice guys thats really helpful, I think I will get a top loading carrier , if she can see out the top at least she can see me and get some fresh air, but cant see all the scary stuff going on around her :)

You lovelies on this board are fantastic thanks again! Jen and Pika xxx

Back