• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding into an established pair

Harlansmum

Young Bun
Is this possible? I've never kept more than 2 buns together. If I were to have another then they would have the run of the garden (they're currently in a pen).

For info, the two I already have are brother and sister, approx 10 weeks old, boy booked in for neutering once his bits appear and girl eventually will follow, although for now I just want to ensure there is no inbreeding!:roll:

It is totally possible but if you havent done it before it may be best to get some advice and help. :)

I had a pair - a male and female who werre both adults and had been together for around 2 years and then introduced a female to them. I then at a later date introduced another male and all four lived happily together

I wouldnt do it for a while to be honest. At 10 weeks and unneutered I wouldnt call yours an established pair and would wait untill after neutering before making any changes.

I wouldnt do it for a while to be honest. At 10 weeks and unneutered I wouldnt call yours an established pair and would wait untill after neutering before making any changes.

Sorry yes - i did mean when they were older i agree with snowberry!

Yes, I had two established pairs that had been together for about 12 months and I have now bonded them into a four and are all happy together !!:D

i looked at bonding a third with theo and cleo and had some advice off fat fluffs who told me that when you have a three one can get left out- and can make your bonded pair fall out all together - its risky but if yours are young it could work....

I had two bonded pairs and when Floss died I decided to try Bournville with the other pair. It went very well and was a quick easy bond, and I now have a lovely trio. Good luck.

I have also heard it is risky, threesomes. I know it works sometimes, but when I spoke to someone from RWA HQ about it I was told they have lots of phonecalls about this and a lot where it goes wrong and the original pair fall out and are unable to be rebonded again, and then you end up with three individual buns! We were warned off it then. Mind you that probably has a bit to do with 'who' is doing the bonding - like any bonding technique plays a part.
However, we had considered it again at a later date and had an opportunity to foster a bun. His mere presence in our house caused a lot of upheaval between our bonded pair, even with him kept out of sight, we had a real problem with referred aggression and until foster bun had gone and ALL scent had been rained off the lawn and the room he had been in thorougly cleaned. Because of this we won't be trying again. One nervous rescue bun and one bloat/stasis rescue bun, as a happy couple with out any additional aggro, is enough for me! :lol:
But I have heard of some success stories too. It's the risk you take! :) I think foursomes are better than threes for longevity :?

Last edited:
Back