• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay bales in Essex?

Maltilda&twinks

Warren Scout
Hiya any suggestions of where to get hay bales cheaply? Used to get
from upsons farm Hatfield peveral but they have put their bale up from £6 to £30!! Thanks x

Hiya any suggestions of where to get hay bales cheaply? Used to get
from upsons farm Hatfield peveral but they have put their bale up from £6 to £30!! Thanks x

Really? That's ridiculous, did they say why? Are they only selling them by the big rolly-thing and not by the individual bale now then, or maybe they haven't harvested this years yet so are demanding a premium for the remaining ones!

Hmph, gonna have to find somewhere else methinks :roll:

Goodness thats a bit overkill price for one bale. We harvest our own but cant use 500 in a year so we've been looking at selling off the last ones. Im going to have a look about see what they go for round here.

£30???!!!! :shock: Haven't bought hay from them recently (although I still get Megazorb from there), but... blimey!!

I was gonna go with Matilda&Twinks as we live in Colchester I thought Id phone to see if they had any left before going they said they had sold out of all their old stock but they had this years in for £30 a bale!!! I'm gutted coz they were ideal!

Really? That's ridiculous, did they say why? Are they only selling them by the big rolly-thing and not by the individual bale now then, or maybe they haven't harvested this years yet so are demanding a premium for the remaining ones!

Hmph, gonna have to find somewhere else methinks :roll:

Me thinks I will have to investigate further

Maybe it's harvested up into those giant bales at the moment and they haven't split it down into smaller bales yet. £30 is about right for one of those biggies. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing...

Maybe it's harvested up into those giant bales at the moment and they haven't split it down into smaller bales yet. £30 is about right for one of those biggies. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing...

Yeah I agree they said it was a new batch

I can go check out the bales if you want as they're only a short drive away from me.
I swear the bales were £4 last time I checked :shock:
They were fab quality too, and I bought some as eating hay and the quality has seriously declined.
Sarah-Jane should know more, she left me a message on Facebook regarding it!

I've just been to upsons to get some megazorb and I asked about the hay - they still don't have any small bales at the moment but they will be getting them, they just haven't baled them up yet and she isn't sure when they will be done by.

So it's just a temporary thing, I'd keep ringing and hopefully it won't be too long before they've got them back as normal :)

:wave: In case anyone is interested, I just got a fab bale from Grays Farm, Chignal Smealy, it was only £3.50 and it's beautifully green and fresh - a similar consistency to the stalky DFH. The farmer told me that he can't keep up with demand at the moment and it's selling faster than they can harvest it!

Phone no is 01245 440241 - he says it's best to ring before going as he has fields all over the place and isn't always there to see you.

Would you like a sample?

Prepare to faint with shock, but I have loaded your run extension into the car in readiness to deliver it back to you at some point soon! :lol:

Ooh a little sample would be lovely thanks!

I can probably fit around you with the run extension - just PM me when is good for you. :)

Back