• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Insurance

<3 chester

Warren Scout
I was wondering if anyone could give any recommendations on insurance companies to insure rabbits with.

I've had a look around and have only been able to find petplan.co.uk and helpucover.co.uk

Does anyone have policies with either of these companies or know of any company who they would highly recommend (or stay away from!) :)

I have petplan, they seem to cover most things but I haven't had to claim. Exotics direct are another company.

Petplan insure buns for life which means they will keep covering your bun even if he develops something that needs life long medication or treatment for example.

I pay £9.90 a month with £50 excess. I recently made a claim and i had a cheque within two weeks.

I've just taken out a petplan one, they are offering two months free at the moment, so insurance starts now but I don't start paying until end of August. I got a quote online and then they rang me and offered the 2 month free deal.

Trigger is with exotic pets i believe theres 2k per year per illness and a £50 excess, he started off at £7 ppm (pounds per month) and now hes £7.80 ppm 2 years later (but we havent claimed

Insurance for rabbits sounds way overpriced. I was considering it until I looked at the amount per month (Petplan quoted me the same as what they'd quote for a dog!), and then figured I would be better off sticking the money in a savings account every month instead. After a year of 7 pounds per month, I'd have nearly 90 pounds and would have to pay a 50 pound excess on each illness anyway. Whilst I'm in no way opposed to insurance, as I can appreciate the peace of mind they offer, I can't help but think that pet insurance is what has whacked vet fees up over the last decade.

Relatedly, I read a paper which stated most rabbit illnesses come from incorrect feeding anyway - rabbits have evolved to eat grass - which means I can do a lot to prevent my rabbit becoming ill in the first place.

Does anyone know if there is a discount for insuring a second bun?

I got quoted £17.23 from petplan for my 2 mini lops who are both 8 weeks old. Petplan also settle claims quickly when my mums had to take the cat in to the vets

Last edited:
I did hesitate about insuring mine too...
Petplan quoted 34.70 pounds per month for my bunnies, and I thought that was a lot of money, which I could save myself each month in case of any problem, and if we don't claim it is not lost... It would amount to over £400 a year!!
My cats are insured with petplan, and I have claimed recently as one of them has a heart problem, and the claim was easy to process and I got the cheque reasonably quickly. The heart problem won't go away and will necessitate lifelong treatment, though sadly the cat is unlikely to live long... In his case, I think the insurance was a good thing.
In most cases, though, it is quite a gamble, and in the case of the bunnies I decided to not take it, and be willing to pay for vet fees as they arise... I just find that over £400 a year is an awful lot of money, which I'd rather spend on the bunnies if need be, than give to the insurance company and maybe never have to claim, especially as there is the £50 excess to pay each time anyway...

Back