• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing - help please!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I got woken up three times last night by Sorrel having big sneezing fits - about 15-20 sneezes in a row.:(

She has been an occasional sneezer ever since I got her but this is new. What could it be? Snuffles? We have a rabbit at the rescue with snuffles but in her it show as an occasional sneeze with loads of snot. Sorrel's nose feels a little damp but there is no discharge.

She is her usual lively self too although hasnt been bar chewing this week which is quite unusual, I wondered if she wasn't feeling up to it. Although she's still feeling well enough to chase the dog and climb up bookcases!

I will take her to the vet but I wondered what your initial thoughts were. :?

I got woken up three times last night by Sorrel having big sneezing fits - about 15-20 sneezes in a row.:(

She has been an occasional sneezer ever since I got her but this is new. What could it be? Snuffles? We have a rabbit at the rescue with snuffles but in her it show as an occasional sneeze with loads of snot. Sorrel's nose feels a little damp but there is no discharge.

She is her usual lively self too although hasnt been bar chewing this week which is quite unusual, I wondered if she wasn't feeling up to it. Although she's still feeling well enough to chase the dog and climb up bookcases!

I will take her to the vet but I wondered what your initial thoughts were. :?

Sudden repetitive sneezing to me sounds like foreign body or dust up the nose! Hope Sorrel is ok :)

ok now there is snot :(

what do i do....my poor girl :(

Snot could be produced due to a lot of dust or a foreign body stuck up there. How is her breathing? Is she snuffly or snotty sounding? It may just be clearing out from a response to some dust, I think it could be a foreign body that she's snifffed up there though and/or it may be an infection beginning from that, or it could be snuffles and the begining of an upper respiratory tract infection, so I think you'd better take her to the vet. Good luck, don't worry, i'm sure she's going to be ok :)

Sorry, that was such a garbled non-sensical post! Try not to worry, but I would pop her along to the vet today If i were you :)

Just updating this for Ruth as she has lost internet access. Sorrel isn't a well bunny at all, she saw the vet for an assesment yesterday as was very snuffly and the vets gave her a shot of Baytril, Sorrel has been on Baytril for her abcess for a good part of a year (possibly more) so it's likely that the bacteria in her respiratory system is not going to respond to this but the vets have not agreed to a C&S test.

Sorrel was reassesed this evening and had another shot of Baytril but has got progressively worse, Ruth called me around 8pm and Sorrel was struggling to breath and was having to inhale orally meaning she couldn't eat.

The last I heard Ruth was calling the emergency vets as Sorrel was going downhill fast. Please can you spare a thought or some vibes for them both, I'll update when I hear something.

Thinking of you both this evening xxx

Oh for goodness sake why on earth ...............Baytril.............. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ..........................

Poor Ruth and Sorrel :cry: I really hope Bun will make it

Oh for goodness sake why on earth ...............Baytril.............. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ..........................

Poor Ruth and Sorrel :cry: I really hope Bun will make it

That's what I said :? Although in fairness she did seem to respond really well to it last night. apparently they don't keep anything else in stock so even if they agreed to try something else we would have to wait for it to be ordered in :roll:

Anyway as I said elsewhere....we think this might be the end for her...but due to the assortment of treatments she had at the emergency vets tonight she is pottering about quite happily and nibbling a bit of hay and a strawberry...so at least she is not in too much discomfort, I hope.

I really hope Sorrel pulls through this one. Definitely one of my favorite RU bunnies with such personality! Keep us posted. xxxx

Back