• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need a solution for this...

Rabbids

New Kit
So....some weeks ago i noticed that my rabbit isnt moving like he was before...

He keeps dragging his rear left foot with him and he keeps falling over all the time...I just cant watch this...He keeps slipping over and its just too sad to watch..

and this VET who lives here said
"ah thats nothing just a trauma keep him on soft places he will be fine" and like weeks have been over...hes on vacation...nothing has happened...its only gotten worse.

I cant find a decent vet....

He doesnt let me touch the foot...he pulls it away..... his other feet are fine..

sometimes he can walk...most of the time he cant

he is 7 years old....maybe it is because he is already old?...
please help...thanks..

I think your bunny needs to see a vet, and a good one, wherever you can find one and ASAP! 7 years is old but not that old and there is every possibility that this is quite treatable.
He could have E.cuniculi, a parasite that attacks the nervous system, and for this he would need a long course of Panacur and a rigorous cleaning of his environment to rid it of the spores, as well as this is mandatory pain relief using an anti-inflammatory like Metacam oral. It could equally be an injury to his leg, his spine etc from trauma, or something neurological in the higher brain centres from a stroke, trauma to the head etc. He could have simply broken his leg - for ALL of these he would benefit from pain relief and frankly a vet who doesn't provide this or even suggest it or willing to consider it clearly has no compassion for rabbits and their ability to feel pain just as we can. Breaks can be pinned or amputated. Spinal injuries can be treated with anti-inflammatories etc. I think your bunny needs a good vet, a physical exam, bloods taken, an Xray done and lots of tlc and pain relief ASAP. Good luck :)
p.s. if you let us know where you are? we might be able to suggest somewhere good to take your bunny??

Not wanting to frighten you but pain in rabbits can cause them to stop eating and this is very serious as it leads to gastric stasis in most cases which is fatal, so if the injury doesn't kill your bunny, GI stasis might. Your bunny sounds to be in pain, he needs PAIN RELIEF NOW! The longer the injury is left, the more damage and chronic problems can result.

Last edited:
what location are you prehaps we can offer up a different vet? a few things are possibilitys.. an inner ear infection prehaps could cause balence problems so antibiotics and pain relief would be needed.... ec would need a 28 day course of pannacur.... a storke may need steroids or it could be injury to leg if its just one leg tho its hard to say without seeing bunny....you need a good vet and asap i woudl try and get your bun on antiinflammatrys/painrelief such as metacam asap. hope you manage to get him/her sorted soon xx

im in estonia...

He seems to be wanting to move alot...he is very healthy and he isnt sick as he is very active and tries to run around alot but keeps falling over.

im in estonia...

He seems to be wanting to move alot...he is very healthy and he isnt sick as he is very active and tries to run around alot but keeps falling over.

i would try and get hold of some pannacur. give him a 28day course initially this would be in case its ec. if you dont give this it could get worse if this is what is causeing it. also see if you can find a good horse vet odd as that sounds they often are better with buns than cat/dog vets due to the nature of the digestive tract of horses and rabbits being more similar, i woudl try and get the vet to give metacam regardless of what is causing adn a precautionary baytril course(antibiotic) best of luck hun.

im in estonia...

If he's falling over then his leg is not working properly, either because it is damaged at the leg, or because something has affected the nerves of the leg. This could be a parasite (internally in the blood stream and brain) or a fracture, or arthritis, or an injury to his spine, or even a thorn in his foot that may have become infected. If he pulls his leg away and does not let you touch it then this will be because it hurts
He therefore needs painkillers especially for a rabbit and prescribed by a vet. He may also need other drugs such as a parasite wormer, antibiotics and possibly even an Xray. He needs to see a vet.

Back