• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on Abscess again!!

funnyface1

Young Bun
Just a couple of quick questions for all of you out there that have won the battle with abscesses!!

Would you recommend injecting antibiotics directly into an abscess?

Would you leave abscesses to come to a head before lancing of removing?

What tips does anybody have to bring an abscess to a head?

How long can it take for these to come under control?

Can they tract if you squeeze too hard when cleaning?

My bun has been on duphapen and probiotics every other day for nearly 3 weeks now since he had part of an abscess removed. I know there is no bone involvement but it tracked from a cut inside the mouth through to the outside of cheek up to the ear. He is eating ok and seems fine in himself. Vet said to carry on with injections and wait and didnt think that injections everyday would be a good idea at the moment. It is just I have another abscess pop up that was lanced and cleaned/packed with intrasite twice a day for a week but now 2 more abscesses popped up on the cheek one being behind the one I was cleaning and squeezing. Now I have to wait before I can start cleaning and packing all over again!

My bunny has an abcess at the moment too!

This is the first time I have had to deal with an abcess so I don't have any advice but am interested to hear this thread and see if we can share info. My bunny's vet said to leave it and see if it would go, but when it grew double in size and I felt he was starting to be affected by it, I had it cut out. At first they put antibiotics in there and I gave him them every day for a week. But it was starting to come back so has just been lanced again. I have to give him antibiotics everyday again and clean it three times a day by rinsing it out with hibiscrub and water adn squeezing it. Poor thing. He is getting a bit sick of me touchign his open wound so much. But he is eating normally. the vet said we might need to keep lancing it a few times, but the important thing is for it to be exposed to oxygen while it heals on the inside and keep it clear of the new pus so none of it gets trapped as it is healing. Just have to be patient and vigilant. I'm sure the less stressed we are, the better the bunny will cope with it. Good luck. Jo

I found Manuka Honey great when kermit had an abscess
Have you tried this?

This is interesting. I'll remember this in the future in case I need it. Thanks. I've heard good things about Manuka Honey - it's expensive, but normal honey doesn't have the antibacterial properties.

Jo, What sort of antibiotics are you on and where is the abscess? I know how you feel, you feel so mean squeezing away. I feel a little helpless at the moment just waiting for abscesses to come to a head then they will be lanced. I just hear so many stories about people saying to remove the whole pod of the abscess but he has already had as much removed as they can it was rather a large one to begin with and it started in the mouth and there is pus in there too but that is getting slightly better. I would much rather they be ready and lanced as you can be cleaning and getting on with it. Think I will buy some manuka ready!!

Good luck Jo and keep me posted its nice to know that somebody else is in unfamilar territory!

Back