• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

experiences with castration

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric's op is booked for wednesday. he's just over 6 months old and was pretty poorly from the off. he's doing great now tho and is an absolute darling.

i've not experienced any typical hormonal behaviour from him, no agression, spraying only twice when outside.

i understand the general consensus is to have all rabbits neutered but do any of you have any pro's or cons regarding castration from your own experience with your rabbits please?

I personally never had any hormone problems with Beau, he circled me a few times making a chuntering noise, but nothing annoying like humping spraying etc, however, my mate who I got him from wanted rid of him BECAUSE of his humping, etc, so he was obviously pretty bad. Since his op he doesn't even circle any more, he's such a good boy, have never had a problem with spraying. Plus he was over his op SO quickly, he was a bit quiet for one evening but then was fine :D So I have nothing negative to say at all :)

I've had four boys castrated, and had no problems whatsoever. One of them was quite aggressive before the op, and within a few weeks after he was a changed bun, and now the soppiest bun I own. The other 3 boys were the same as yours and showed no signs of being a full male with spraying/humping, however I still got them done as I wanted them to live in a large group with females.

Same here!
Oliver didn't show any hormonal behaviour, he didn't hump or spray, the only thing he did do was wee in a few places he shouldn't of - not sure if that is classed as spraying though?

He was a bit dopey after his GA but like Lib n bunny says - it was only for a night or so, the worst part was keeping him confined to a small space while the wound recovered. I felt so guilty!

Same here!
Oliver didn't show any hormonal behaviour, he didn't hump or spray, the only thing he did do was wee in a few places he shouldn't of - not sure if that is classed as spraying though?

He was a bit dopey after his GA but like Lib n bunny says - it was only for a night or so, the worst part was keeping him confined to a small space while the wound recovered. I felt so guilty!

hadn't thought about that rachie. eric's now a free range house bun - he'd go mad if i shut him away:(

Beau is usually an explorer, but he just didn't want to move!

Yeah, when he first came home he was a uber space cadet. It'd only be for a week or so then he can have access to the rest of the house again. Its such a tiny amount of time in their life and I think its the best thing I ever did as I couldn't have got a girlie bun had I not had his bits done ;)

Beau is usually an explorer, but he just didn't want to move!

i suppose if he feels dopey and sore he'll be quieter anyway:? do they usually use stiches or that glue stuff?

i'd really miss him circling around me - thats usually when he wants a nose rub:(

i suppose if he feels dopey and sore he'll be quieter anyway:? do they usually use stiches or that glue stuff?

i'd really miss him circling around me - thats usually when he wants a nose
rub:(

I think it more than likely that he'll still ask for a nose rub that way. He'll probably stop his little Uh Huh sounds tough.

Sorry, I reckon that those of us from the North would need genetic modification to stop Uh Huh - ing! :?

I got my first bunbun 2 years ago and we got his sister too; but she was too agressive so i rehomed her and since about 20 weeks old (when he started mounting her) hes been alone; i was suppose to be getting another rabbit yesterday so on wednesday i got him neutered he; to begin with was quite shy around other people (not me :p) would only eat celery pellets and hay; well yesterday i open the cage door, out he came bounding up to everyone, he was flying from sofa to sofa ( had to stop him though cause of his wound) and he was eating carrot and banana; it was amazing to watch him change in just over 24hrs!

I got my first bunbun 2 years ago and we got his sister too; but she was too agressive so i rehomed her and since about 20 weeks old (when he started mounting her) hes been alone; i was suppose to be getting another rabbit yesterday so on wednesday i got him neutered he; to begin with was quite shy around other people (not me :p) would only eat celery pellets and hay; well yesterday i open the cage door, out he came bounding up to everyone, he was flying from sofa to sofa ( had to stop him though cause of his wound) and he was eating carrot and banana; it was amazing to watch him change in just over 24hrs!

Um... I don't mean to sound negative but three questions I'd like to ask:

1) You rehomed the girl because she was aggressive - had you had her spayed? That's often the root of the aggressive behaviour and could potentially have been fixed by spaying.

2) Your rabbit was mounting his sister (presumably both un-neutered) at 20 weeks. Rabbits can breed from 12 weeks old. Did the female get pregnant?

3) If you're now getting another rabbit to bond with him, are you aware that males can stay fertile for up to 6 weeks after being neutered? If the female you're getting isn't spayed, you could still end up with babies.

I repeat, I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, but I was just a little concerned and wanted to clear things up. :)

AMETHYST

Blue was fine after his visit to the plumb fairy. He wasn't impressed at being confined but I brought the pen into the living room so he didn't feel lonely. He hadn't been showing any signs of 'male' behavior....but I think thats cause the plums went as soon as he was old enough!
He still circles my feet when he gets excited though so don't worry! If he associates circling with nose rubs he'll still do it.

huge relief eric may still circle for his nose rubs:D i'm thinking that i may just confine him to the living room rather than a cage or pen as he doesn't jump whilst in that room - apart from his mad binky times when he does really fast laps of the whole room - our sofas a bit too high for him;)

for how long do you usually have to keep them calm and quiet for? (sorry so many questions but i feel the need to know every little detail so i don't have any extra panic at the time!).

pros from my expeierinace.. arthur didnt spray or bite and was cuddley as anything until he met dora (nuetered female) he became a frantic humper and harrassed her and tho she mostly loved him he ahd t o be given time outs!!! he also sprayed her to mark her as his (yuck who would be a bunny) this all stopd after a few weeks and he settled down nicely

coco pre nueter he was aggressive to men and also bit if you didnt keep stroking him, he was very humpy too humping my leg or arm a lot!!!
post nueter he no longer humps me (he does still spray when excited if girls are around tho and is no longer aggressive to men he is stil a real charactor tho.

i'd really miss him circling around me - thats usually when he wants a nose rub:(

If he regularly circles around you that is a sign of sexual frustration so even if you're not experiencing any behaviour like humping or peeing, it does indicate that he may be a little frustrated, so it's definitely good timing to get his bits whipped off :) As others have said though, if he likes nose rubs, I'm sure he'll still find ways to get your attention to get them!

Whether they use stitches or glue really depends on the vet, my vet just uses glue now, not only does it give them one less thing to pull at and get irritated by, it also means you don't need to go back for stitches to be removed!

Most boy buns recover very quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty much back to normal within a day :) You don't need to keep him too confined as the wound is all pretty superficial and doesn't extend into the abdomen so it's not really a worry if he over stretches. It's more about keeping it clean, so trying to keeping him from sitting in soil, litter and hay for a while so that it doesn't get stuff stuck in it or infected.

Good luck, it's a very simple and short op so hopefully he will feel right as rain very quickly :)

Um... I don't mean to sound negative but three questions I'd like to ask:

1) You rehomed the girl because she was aggressive - had you had her spayed? That's often the root of the aggressive behaviour and could potentially have been fixed by spaying.

2) Your rabbit was mounting his sister (presumably both un-neutered) at 20 weeks. Rabbits can breed from 12 weeks old. Did the female get pregnant?

3) If you're now getting another rabbit to bond with him, are you aware that males can stay fertile for up to 6 weeks after being neutered? If the female you're getting isn't spayed, you could still end up with babies.

I repeat, I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, but I was just a little concerned and wanted to clear things up. :)

AMETHYST
Its okay, i like to make sure animals are being cared for too!

1; The rabbit was unspayed but was really agressive and i couldnt handle her; i didnt want to spay her then for her to still be aggressive so i though best for her to go to someone who knows what they were doing
2; We kept her for about 6-7 weeks after seperation and cleaned her cage out every 3 days and there was no babies; we seperated them as soon as we noticed mounting even though one of them had to stay in a dog crate :p
3; Yes im getting 2 new unspayed does but the research ive done says they can stay fertile for 2 weeks, im quarenteening the girls for two weeks and then ill still be on my toes whether or not they'll get along

Ive got advice in every form; lol; my friends owned them for about 6yrs and my other friend for about 8, i think theyre getting annoyed with the questions, lol.

Its okay, i like to make sure animals are being cared for too!

1; The rabbit was unspayed but was really agressive and i couldnt handle her; i didnt want to spay her then for her to still be aggressive so i though best for her to go to someone who knows what they were doing
2; We kept her for about 6-7 weeks after seperation and cleaned her cage out every 3 days and there was no babies; we seperated them as soon as we noticed mounting even though one of them had to stay in a dog crate :p
3; Yes im getting 2 new unspayed does but the research ive done says they can stay fertile for 2 weeks, im quarenteening the girls for two weeks and then ill still be on my toes whether or not they'll get along

Ive got advice in every form; lol; my friends owned them for about 6yrs and my other friend for about 8, i think theyre getting annoyed with the questions, lol.

can i add that it really is up to 6weeks that males can stay fertile so i really would let that time pass first beofre any introductions...also i wouldnt try and bond with a nunspayed female as this could lead to territorial fights etc. remember if you are bonding you will need a small neutralised area for both bunnys to be introduced. you may be aware that it is more important to get a female spayed than a male nueterd even as thye are highly suceptible to uterine cancer i know as i made this mistake years ago. i disagree with allowing bunny no cage rest time i think that the first few days to a week should be about resting and not overdoing it. this is because they can pull open the wound, yup coco did it he managed even to pull the tube so that it stuck through the glued area throug hlicking after and also to get infected etc with more complications a small area to allow him in is fine as he needs som excersise but dont let him over do it straight away, normally male and female should be seperated in a litter between 8-12 weeks as this stops any worry about babies (for future reference) no one is having a go we are all learning so hope this all helps xx

Back